Boat carrier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer

First post, great site.

Question,, does anybody know where I can find a system to carry a midsize boat on the back of my pickup?

Thanks, Farmer

I seen such a MH towing a truck with such a device pass by here just a couple days ago but I didn't get a good look at it.

I'm not sure what you call a mid sized boat, but have you seen the boat loaders like this?

Ive seen those before.  My boat is a 17.5 ft bass tracker.  Saw a setup that a person was pulling a travel trailer and had the boat on top of his truck.  Boat trailer and all.  Look like the truck was giving the boat a piggy back ride ;D.   

Thanks,  Farmer

Farmer, I've seen photos of the kind of thing you're talking about, but have not seen them in person. Also can't recall who makes or sells them.

I have seen ads for several such systems.  Let me do a bit of research.....

Ok, here is one such item
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=13875764&parent_category_rn=9647564&

And another

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47577861&parent_category_rn=9647564&

I'm not sure those URL's copied in their entierty however,  REI is the store I searched in

And that was just my first stop.  Did not check any others.  I have seen the first, at least one version of it allows one person to load a small boat, you hook one end to the riser, lift and pin, swing it around and put it on the top rack

Thanks very much.  Trying to search the web, but no luck.  My boat weighs 1700 lbs complete.  Has to be very heavy duty setup.  Thanks again.

Farmer

Farmer said:
Thanks very much.  Trying to search the web, but no luck.  My boat weighs 1700 lbs complete.  Has to be very heavy duty setup.  Thanks again.

Farmer

There is another option if the boat is that heavy and you plan on putting it on top of the truck.  But first, check your truck's specs, that much weight on top of a truck might not be siuch a good idea

One option, which may have to be custom built for your truck, is a "ladder rack" type of frame. basically it's a pipe or angle iron or channel iron frame that fits in the fittings on your truck and has rollers at the rear to allow you to load the boat, this (with nearly a ton of boat) will NOT be a one man job and will require a winch, but I'm not sure I'd want 1700 lbs on top of a truck... Could turn it into a "Roll-a-matic" (That is you turn corners very very carefully least it get tired and roll ovoer to take a nap)

Thats what I'm figuring, that I'll have to get one custom built.  As for the weight, should have a problem. Its a F350 Dually.  I carry my 2600 lb camper plus pull a boat or trailer.  The reason I want one is so I can pull a much more roomier travel trailer and still take my boat.  I guess I can just get a toy hauler, but would have to be a big one and I dont want that.  The one setup I saw, the truck had a rack that went across the back of the cab that held the frame of trailer, and pedalstals held the rear axle so that the tries where above the bed.  Wasn't able to get more details since it was traveling on the freeway.

Farmer

Farmer

I must have seen the same one you did - going down the freeway. Didn't even have time to snap a photo.

I have the same dilema as you over taking a bass boat along (I have the 185 Tracker). I also looked at the idea of a double stacked trailer to hold car and boat/trailer. I don't have a pickup, so I couldn't do what you're thinking of doing, but I have no idea how I'd get the boat and trailer up onto a pickup.

Many states (Michigan is one) will allow you to pull a boat behind a 5th wheel trailer so long as you don't go over the maximum allowed total vehicle length.. I can look up the michigan law ifyou wish... Kind of scarey when one passes you but it's legal

If you trailer is a standard trailer (not a 5th wheel) then a "Slide off" rack might work... This is basically the ramps you see cars parked on at dealers when they want to show off one car alongside the road.  Extend-a-ramps let the trailer go all the way to the ground, I'd suggest a cross bar with a standard trailer hitch at the front, along with the above suggested winch of course.  YOu would winch it up, (3rd rail for the caster wheel) hook it to the ball strap down the tires (standard tire strap a-la U-haul auto trailer) and be good to go

Still.  I would worry with that much weight on top of my truck, even an f-350 Dualy.. Now an F-350 Custom 10,000 lb GVW,,, Perhaps, but not a pick up

In Oregon, you cannot pull triple.  Only semi trucks with endorments can  pull triple. That is a good idea about the ramps.  I am not really worried about the weight. Like I said before my camper is alot heavier than the boat.  BUT the shape and ockwardness would be the scarey part. 

Tom, I just saw on a webpage something like you were talking about.  I'll try to find it again

Farmer

Farmer, yes that's what I was thinking of as a 2-tier trailer for boat and car. Thanks for posting that link.

Back
Top Bottom