Boat is a hole in the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
;D Sounds like you guys have some nice boats. I have the next best thing, a small, easily portable, fuel efficient boat and a buddy with a big one! ;D

Seriously though, I enjoy my little 16' inflatable and have taken it many places. I have a plotter/sounder and VHF. I get about 60 miles loaded out of a 6 gallon tank. Of course, there are drawbacks.

I am generally at least damp when I get where I am going.
I will probably require dental work and kidney replacement later on due to getting pounded pretty good.
The dealer will tell you my boat carries 8. I will tell you it carries 2 guys,shrimp gear, gear for a week(if you wear one spare set of clothes and eat light), 30 gallons of fuel and a wet dog.
Once you have all the above items loaded you are not allowed to move for the remainder of the trip.

Other than that, it makes a great little short run halibut, shrimping and just GP boat.

I have never seen a sub surface up here, but I once had a whale surface so close I could have hit him with a paddle. I saw the wrinkles in his skin and individual drops of water rolling off. I'm not gonna say I was scared, but when we got back to our slip I had a piece of seat vinyl embedded in the back of my rain pants.

One day I will join the ranks of the true deep water boaters, just gonna take me a while to get there, and I'm sure it will be worth it.

That's one heck of an inflatable. I assume it's a RIB (fiberglass hull with tubes)? What brand is that?

Don't let fiberglass fever get to you; If you're happy with the boat you have, it's the right one for you.

It is a 16 ft Achilles. Best hypalon boat for the money out there, I think. It's not a RHIB, but an inflatable hull. It handles pretty well in most conditions and is VERY  stable. I have had it out in some nasty stuff and come out OK. I do go out pretty far, sometimes as far as 90 miles, and I carry a 30hp main, also a 3.5 hp kicker just in case. Some people say I should get more motor, the boat is rated for up to 60hp, but most of the time because of water conditions and the size of my boat I'm doing 15-20 anyway, sometimes slower, and 30hp is plenty for that. I guess I should mention that the area I do go out in, Prince William Sound, while remote, is fairly well protected from the Gulf and it is really more of a near coastal type environment because if it does get nasty, theres 1001 places to hide. Perfect inflatable country. Having said that, if I bought another inflatable, it would be a RHIB.

My buddy picked up a 30' custom aluminum from ATEC in Kenai in June, thats probably the route I'll go in a few years, except I'm thinking of a 35' deep water landing craft built for charter. I have this crazy dream of becoming a transporter up here. Hunters, kayakers,sightseers etc. Maybe even some work for the state. I am working on my hours everychance I get to go out and will be attending school here in Anchorage as soon as I get some other obligations done with. The boat can be done inside of 3 months, and I have my eye on a 671 diesel I helped a guy pull out of a converted navy landing craft. Somebody put a bow and crane on it and used it as a tender, can you believe that? American ingenuity. I am also looking for info from anyone who owns a Lugger diesel.

Check out ATEC here:  http://www.atecmarine.com/commercial.html

That landing craft is quite a boat!

I am also looking for info from anyone who owns a Lugger diesel.

What's a lugger diesel? My boat has a pair of diesels, but it sure isn't a lugger.

Lugger is a brand name, they are supposed to be awesome, commercial quality stuff, but I want to talk to some owners first. Should find a few up here eventually.

Check them out here:  http://www.northern-lights.com/

OK thanks, I wasn't thinking of "lugger" as a brand name until I clicked on that link.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom