Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the nonfiction military story readers I just finished Frozen in Time by Mitchell Zukoff (or Zuckoff).  This is actually two stories -  first about an airplane crash in Greenland in 1942 and the resulting efforts to rescue the five people on that plane that resulted in more crashes, more deaths and very long times spent on the frozen ice of Greenland just trying to survive.  Interwoven with the main story is the story of the various expeditions to Greenland since 2010 to try and bring back the remains of some of the rescuers lost to the weather.  Extremely well written by the author who was actually on two of the expeditions to recover remains.  Greenland does not give up its dead very easy and adds more cover to them every year.  YouTube has some info on this too.

In another story on YouTube a P-38 aircraft was removed from the ice in Greenland in the 90s (and restored to flying status). That plane was well over 250 feet below the surface - ice that had collected in the years since it crashed in 1942 as part of The Lost Squadron  (6 P-38s and 2 B-17s).

BookBub has been a great source of very inexpensive books for me.  Get a listing daily and have bought several.  Nothing was over $2.99 but all of mine were on Kindle.

Bill

Cooperhawk said:
They also recovered a B17 from the ice and got it air worthy to fly out.  Then getting ready to take off they caught it on fire and destroyed it.  All that work for naught.
  No Jim that was a B-29 and that guy spent a ton of money on it including new engines.  Seems as though when they were doing a taxi test on very rough runway a gas can came lose and fell on the Auxiliary Power Unit.  That was really too bad because Kee Ki (think that was its name) could have joined Doc and Fi Fi as the only other two B-29s still flying.

Bill

Bill N said:
  No Jim that was a B-29 and that guy spent a ton of money on it including new engines.  Seems as though when they were doing a taxi test on very rough runway a gas can came lose and fell on the Auxiliary Power Unit.  That was really too bad because Kee Ki (think that was its name) could have joined Doc and Fi Fi as the only other two B-29s still flying.Bill

You are correct Bill.  My memory is starting to fail me.  I remember seeing a video about it a long time ago.

Cooperhawk said:
You are correct Bill.  My memory is starting to fail me.  I remember seeing a video about it a long time ago.
Actually I kind of cheated because while looking through YouTube for more info on the planes in that Frozen in Time book I came across the B-29 story again.  I had seen it a year or so ago and watched it again as I did not recall the ending. Then as it went on (about an hour as I recall) I remembered what happened.  Really sad to see that.

Yeah, as a lover of old aircraft I hated to see that.  I've been watching "Air Disasters" on the Smithsonian Channel.  Part of my job was to serve on a "Go Team" investigating aircraft incidents and accidents.  Our role was to gather and analyze all the voice tapes and radar data leading up to what occurred.  Very interesting.

Cooperhawk said:
Yeah, as a lover of old aircraft I hated to see that.  I've been watching "Air Disasters" on the Smithsonian Channel.  Part of my job was to serve on a "Go Team" investigating aircraft incidents and accidents.  Our role was to gather and analyze all the voice tapes and radar data leading up to what occurred.  Very interesting.
Now you hit me in a soft spot.  I have Air Disasters and Disasters at Sea set to tape every Sunday on the Smithsonian channel plus I  record the ones they rerun throughout the week.  Since I have only seen the new ones from the last year the reruns from previous years are all new to me. Great programming
PS:  I am also a devotee of cop reality shows and stuff like 48 Hours, The First 48, and such shows - does that make me weird or just too old to be interested in the drama garbage they put on today......LOL

Doesn't make you weird at all Bill.  Like me you're just not entertained by the BS that a lot of shows are based on.  Like you I enjoy watching how things are examined and accidents solved. 

A lot of TV is just mind pablum.  When you're done watching them you may have been entertained, but you've learned nothing.  I like to learn.

For some strange reason I also like to watch cooking shows.  I guess as I've grown older eating well has become more of a pass time than things that used to keep me busy. 

I also like Reality Shows like Gold Rush and the like although they do become repetitious.  I had no idea what they had to do to find an ounce of gold or catch crab ect.

I also like the History Channel.  A lot of my family has served in the armed forces and I like learning the history about what they did and where they did it.

Maybe just getting old make us weird.

Jim - ditto to just about everything you wrote.  Although I thought I was old enough to be well informed on the wars (WWII, Korea and Vietnam) I recently watched that series on WWII on (I think) History channel and was amazed at how many troops we lost on those little South Pacific islands and mostly just to establish air fields closer to Japan for the fighters and B-29s to bomb their homeland.  Between Europe and the Pacific we lost practically an entire generation.

Bill

My Father and six brothers served in WWII.  Two, including my Father were wounded, but all came home OK.  My Uncle Bill was a tank commander on Iowo JIma.  Like someone else mentioned I used to listen to them quietly talk amongst themselves about it.

Cooperhawk said:
Doesn't make you weird at all Bill.  Like me you're just not entertained by the BS that a lot of shows are based on.  Like you I enjoy watching how things are examined and accidents solved. 

A lot of TV is just mind pablum.  When you're done watching them you may have been entertained, but you've learned nothing.  I like to learn.

For some strange reason I also like to watch cooking shows.  I guess as I've grown older eating well has become more of a pass time than things that used to keep me busy. 

I also like Reality Shows like Gold Rush and the like although they do become repetitious.  I had no idea what they had to do to find an ounce of gold or catch crab ect.

I also like the History Channel.  A lot of my family has served in the armed forces and I like learning the history about what they did and where they did it.

Maybe just getting old make us weird.
Whilst not a Book, the BBC have a show called "Inside the Factory" which you would like as it is how they make some of the big brand foodstuffs.

Re food shows, Steve is addicted to triple D, Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.  It is driving me crazy as I am on a diet!

jackiemac said:
Whilst not a Book, the BBC have a show called "Inside the Factory" which you would like as it is how they make some of the big brand foodstuffs.

Re food shows, Steve is addicted to triple D, Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.  It is driving me crazy as I am on a diet!

Tell me about it.  We watch them too.

jackiemac said:

You can go to the Triple D Website and see all the joints the show was filmed at. Print it out and when you are traveling you can have a meal at a Triple D restaurant. We have been to a few. Guy was just up the road in Wilmington, DE this week. Have to wait several months to visit any of the places he filmed in.

I would recommend you a book called "to shake a sleeping self" - very good reading for RV trips or camping outside :D

Back
Top Bottom