booth dinette operation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K

kforrest

Hello all.  Its been awhile.  I am seeking advice about the best way to handle the table top of a booth dinette, for raising it to the table position, and then lowering it to the bed position.  I know there are hinge kits available that allow the table top to swing down to the lower position, and also raise to the upper (table) position.  However, I already purchased the tubular post and associated upper and lower brackets that mount to the bottom of the table, and also to the floor, respectively.  The post is 27" high, and with the table top attached, the total height of the table is 28".  So my concern is whether the hinges that are out there will be able to be mounted on the wall in such a location so that the table when it is in the "up" position, will be level with the post end?  I have a singular post (the tube referred to earlier) located about 12 inches from one end of the table.  So I need the hinge to make the table top level with the 28" high end of the table when up, and also drop down to the correct location to rest on the table supports correctly.  Am I making sense?  Does anyone have any experience with what I am talking about?  If so, please tell me if I have nothing to worry about.  Or, if I may have to adjust the height of the tubular post to match and make the table level.  Obviously, it would be simple enough to raise the "post end" of the table by just putting a board between the post bracket and the table top.  Lowering it would be another issue.  Please provide input.  Thanks

KF

Since the down position is the critical position I'm thinking you will need to attach the bracket to the table (perhaps you can do this temporarily with clamps), set it in the down position, and mark the position of the hinge on the wall. Then raise it (maybe have a helper hold the hinge to the wall) and measure the height when it's level.

I'm not understanding this fully. We have had two trailers with a table that converts into a bed. one had a center Post with two large conical brackets one on the bottom of the table and one on the floor. The table was free standing on that single post. The second unit we had used a hinge against the wall, and a flip-out leg on the far end of the table.  Which do you have? The two are mutually exclusive.

Our dinette table has two posts that fit into receivers on the floor and underside of the table, respectively. To convert to a bed, the posts are removed and the table rests on cleats attached to each bench. I would think that if the unit did not come from the plant with a hinge, or other leveling type device on the table top, then the wall probably won?t have the supporting framework strong enough mount an aftermarket hinge or leveling gadget to.

Frank B said:
  Which do you have? The two are mutually exclusive.

Frank nailed it.

I had a pop up with the post table, and a second shorter post to support the bed height.  It was an L shaped dinette.  Worked very well.

You should have cleats on the benches to support the table top for bed use.  If not, they should be easy to add.

I can tell you a camper I had had such a hinge

But why not just a bracket at the wall. Kind of a drop a hook in the slot thing.

Imagine a "T" shaped corner brace (The flat kind) bolted to the end of the table

Then a couple of flat mending bars with washers under 'em on the wall
The "Tongue" of the "T" (the part sticking down from teh table) Goes in between the stood off bar and the wall.. Locking that end. And teh post at the other.  I can draw it but I'm hoping the description fits

A 2nd stand off mending bar at "Bed" height keeps it from slip sliding away in the night .

I don't believe you can use a hinge with the floor mounted post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom