Borrow the Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

On those occasions where we're at a location with poor or no cell signal I can almost always find a local library that I can go to for Internet access. Can also be useful for keeping your personal "unlimited" data under the threshold.

Looking for a library near our current park I found an option I have never seen before. Wondering if anyone else has?

Borrow the Internet​

Patrons are also able to check out and take home a mobile hotspot just as easily as they would a book or DVD. The hotspots will provide internet access to users in any location with a cell signal. Mobile hotspots are small, portable devices that provide wireless internet access for any device that can connect to a wireless signal, such as a laptop, smartphone, tablet, or gaming device. Mobile hotspots typically use mobile broadband service from cellular providers for 3G or 4G Internet access. Use them on your vacation, for your next conference presentation, or to temporarily add wireless connectivity to a home that does not have it. Hotspots will offer unlimited data usage. They may not be renewed, and there are no late fees on them. However, once the loan period is up, the device will be deactivated and the full replacement cost of the hotspot, the cords, and the case will be billed to the patron’s account. Upon return of the device, the charge will be removed.

My local library has hotspots, but only library patrons can check them out. That means people with a permanent address in the community. And yes, they ask for proof in the form of a lease, mortgage papers, utility bills, etc. It is still a great place to get free WiFi though. Even when they are closed, the WiFi transmits to the nearby parking lot. A number of students had to work there when the schools closed in 2020 before the school district supplied hot spots to the students.

Last edited:
Well, it's all about the tax dollar. If you are adding to that fund, talk to them about it. Not sure what cell phone carrier you have, most of the big boys have free hotspots, and many restaurants like McDs do as well.

Never seen that before. Interesting for sure. I'd also be curious if to have a library card there you'd also have to have a verified local address.

But it doesn't sound like it solves the problem if you are in an area with poor or no signal, you'd presumably be borrowing a hotspot that only gets a signal as good (or bad) as your personal device.

Our local library has a similar program to check out hot spots, I am not sure what their limitations are, but I know they have a limited number and their is often a waiting list to get one, I think they limit them to 1 week check out.

But it doesn't sound like it solves the problem if you are in an area with poor or no signal, you'd presumably be borrowing a hotspot that only gets a signal as good (or bad) as your personal device.
I would expect that libraries have wired connections (DSL, cable, etc) and use a router to provide the WiFi.

I would expect that libraries have wired connections (DSL, cable, etc) and use a router to provide the WiFi.

Oh, for sure. What I meant was if you were staying somewhere with bad cell reception, going to the Library to borrow one of their hot spots probably wouldn't help much. But yes, you could sit outside the library or go in and use their WiFi connection. :)

That depends, as their hotspots may be on a different network than yours, ie the local library here uses T-Mobile hotspots, and you may have Verizon which does not have good coverage around here.

Oh, for sure. What I meant was if you were staying somewhere with bad cell reception, going to the Library to borrow one of their hot spots probably wouldn't help much. But yes, you could sit outside the library or go in and use their WiFi connection. :)
Ah, got it. I see what you're saying. Good point. As Isaac-1 points out, perhaps a hotspot on a different network than what one is using could be an improvement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom