Bound for the Northwest (What am I thinking)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Johnstons

Good evening folks.  I just got word that work may taking us to Washington state over the weekend.  We hope to pull our 36' Mobile Suites.  This is our first season in the rig.  I don't know what to expect concerning accommodations or road conditions heading north.  I will be heading from Springfield, Missouri.  I could use some help on the following questions.

How hard will it be for us to find RV parks open this time of year?
Any suggestions on how we might find which parks are open now?
Is it better to head across Kansas on 70 to Denver then north on 25 or up begin heading Northwest through SD, WYM, MT, on 90?

Thanks Jeff

First question, where in WA state as it could make a difference in Routing?

That said, I would checck the weather maps and try to choose the route of least weather.  oing through eastern WY this time of year can be "interesting" due to high winds not to mention that other 4 letter word, SNOW.  I'm not sure which is worst but I think wind is!  BG  And I grew up in the windy city of Livingston MT!

This week end is NOT a good time to travel this way as high winds are forecast for the entire NW.  We are expecting winds of over 50mph tomorrow and I understand we may get more soon too.  The Seattle area is supposed to have winds of over 60 if some of the postings are to be  believed.

Anyway, where and we can go for the best way from that!!

Thanks for the feeback.  I am a Property Adjuster and will be heading to what we believe will be damaged areas.  So Seattle is a real possibility.  I too understand wind.  I grew up in the state of Kansas.  I have fought both wind and snow but never in a big rig I have had control of.  Due to the type of work I do people really don't want to wait on me.  So, I will look at the weather maps and maybe head more west before heading north.  I don't know what Colorado is like to travel through this time of year.  Hey, thanks for the direction.  Still open to other comments.

Thanks Jeff

Given your starting location, I would go west to Denver, north on I-25 to US 34 to Laramie and west on I-80 to I-84 and then up I-82 to I-90 and west to Seattle.

Not sure I would head over the high mountains on I-70 unless the weather was really good.  BG

JMO of course!

>>I take it you are familiar with these roads?  <<

More than I care to be!!  I didn't say it would be fun, I just said that is the way I would go.  Don't read too much into that as there are few alternate choices!!

In bad weather, I-70 can get really, really ugly, especially at Eisenhower Tunnel west of Denver. If the weather's good and you do stay on I-70, you cut up US 6 west of Green River, Utah, over the Utah mountains to I-15, then I-84 through Boise to the Columbia River.

Once you get to Western WA most campgrounds are open year round but they will be few and far between in the mountains this time of year. Have a copy of Trailer Life Campground Directory and call ahead.

You are going into an area that still has lots of power outages, but they are working on that. Yo might consider flying in, and renting a rig (if being in a MH is better for you to do your work). the roads are the big problem, especially getting over passes. According to info that I have been researching on a deisel forum, carry a set of chains for front and rear on the tow vehicle and 1 pair for the towed vehicle, placing them one front, one rear. the roads locally have been dry here in SE oregon, but any moisture freezes into black ice at night.
Be careful, and best wishes.

In bad weather, I-70 can get really, really ugly, especially at Eisenhower Tunnel west of Denver.

So right Wendy!

DH (the mountain man from Oregon)  white-knuckled the Eisenhower Tunnel in a snowstorm 20 years ago, pulling a TT.  He has never recovered. He still trembles when he talks about it.  He doesn't quite know why he is not dead.  NOT recommended!

Good Luck!  ( I vote for the fly-in and rent an RV approach).

Back
Top Bottom