Brake controller issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCE

I have a 2018 F150 with the standard tow package. I installed an aftermarket Hayes III proportional controller with the proper wiring kit. So far I get nothing no braking and no indicator light on the controller. I even replaced the controller. Where might the issue be. Any testing ideas?

If the indicator light is not coming on you are not getting power back to the electric brakes. It could be a problem on the truck or trailer. The controller sends a small power signal to the eclectic brakes. if everything is working it will turn on the indicator light. If you go to the trailer connector on the back of the truck, find the connector that feeds the trailer brakes, connect a load in line to a good ground and see if the indicator light comes on. I use the high beam of a headlight to put a load on the system. You can also check the trailer by connecting 12 volts and a ground to the trailer feeding the 12 volts on the trailer connector contact that feeds the trailer brakes. You should be able to hear the magnet if it is working. If not jack up the axle and try spinning the wheel. Another thing to check is the ground connection between the truck and trailer.

Thanks. I will check all out. I also wondered if it is a software issue
I know if you were to add the Ford oem brake controller, it needs activated. It can be done at a dealer, or with a laptop and a free program called Forscan. You also might poke around on etrailer dot com, link

The fuse for the controller was missing. Guess it is not part of the standard tow package. I will get one tomorrow and see if that fixes it. I suspect some software update will be needed to use the features of the info system

Keep us posted. Not sure what features you hope to have, but any feature would most likely need the OEM brake controller and electronics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom