Brake issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fastlane Tracks

Hi my name is Chris I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39f Freightliner chassis with only 19000 miles
Here’s my issue when using moderate to heavy braking we smell hot brakes. Now mind you I am using a properly working exhaust brake on maximum and I am referring to taking a freeway off ramp from say 50 mph approach speed, with a 20 mph turn in the ramp, now that’s only a 30mph decrease in speed and yet we smell brakes.
Is this because of the poor interior to exterior seal on the bottom of the coach floor?

I will also add that I am a retired truck driver that is quite familiar with air braking systems and how to properly adjust for maximum equal braking on all wheels. In my big truck any time I smelled hot brakes were when I was hauling a max load and having to do hard braking. In a big truck the bias on braking is about 60% rear and 40% front, but I have been told that the bias may be different on a coach.
Could this possibly have the wrong bias valve or be installed backwards?
Next time out I plan on using my inferred temp gun to get an idea on how hot the brake drums are getting and how even the temperatures are side to side.

Next time out I plan on using my inferred temp gun to get an idea on how hot the brake drums are getting and how even the temperatures are side to side.
Sounds like a great idea, I check my truck and trailer wheels routinely at stops. Actually it's my wife's job, and it's important. Do they leave a lot of brake dust? Some pads are just 'not the best'.

It seems evident that something is wrong - there is no reason at all for the brakes to be hot enough to smell in that scenario. Could be as simple as a damaged/worn brake pad or a faulty valve. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about the cause, but I'd definitely get it investigated by a competent air brake tech. My personal choice would be an appointment at the FCCC factory service center in Gafney, SC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom