Brake pedal went to floor and Autopark light came on right after 3000 mile tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc55

Hi All
Just completed a 3000 mile( trouble free) tour through one Canadian province and six US States. Once at home and the Vectra was unloaded, I started it up to move to its regular parking place. I shifted into reverse and noticed that the Autopark dash light did not go out, but I was able to reverse into the parking spot. I did have to pull forward to straighten out, and to my surprise, the brake pedal went right to the floor and a red exclamation mark lit up on the dash. I pumped the brake pedal and it came right up and stopped the coach. I cautiously backed into the parking spot and got stopped ok. The green switch for the Autopark system was replaced about two years ago. I did notice that the brakes did require pumping of the pedal on the last leg of the journey. The brakes seemed to fade if you just stepped on the brake pedal once, but if you pumped them at least once the brake pedal would be at the top and firm. I know that the brake pads and rotors are in good shape (4 wheel disc) and there is no apparent leaks. Bad master cylinder? If the master cylinder is the culprit would that make the Autopark warning light come on, or is that a separate issue? It just seems a coincidence that both would occur at the same time. Any thoughts?

Either a bad master cylinder, or air in the brake lines from some source.  When a pedal "pumps up" is usually means that there is an air bubble in the system somewhere.  If you can keep steady pressure on the brake pedal and it eventually goes down, then fluid is probably leaking past the seals in the master cylinder. 

You seem to have two problems going on here. The APB is not connected to the braking system at all, it applies a separate drum brake that is mounted at the rear of your trans and acts on the drive shaft.
And I would also agree with the Sarge on his input on your brake pedal problem. 

You may have a system where the Auto Park Brake, power steering, and regular brakes all received a hydraulic boost from the power steering pump.  If so, all 3 systems are actually interconnected.  I believe this was the setup until late 1993 and perhaps into early 1994.  Your 1994 Winnebago may even be built on a 1993 chassis.

I am definitely not an expert on these systems but recently received some help from oldusedbear on rv.net.  A search of his posts there may help you solve your issue.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input folks. Went out today to check things and the autopark system has locked on,,, can't move forward or reverse. Looks like the little green switch again. As for the brakes.. I'm thinking master cylinder, as there are no obvious leaks, the master is full of fluid and the pedal pressure does slowly deteriorate when the pedal is held firmly, yet it will stop the coach fine when pumped. Timing is everything...glad this is happening now and not in the Branson Missouri, which is where we were a week ago! Time to roll up the sleeves LOL

You might want to check your rear drum brakes for adjustment. They have been known for the self adjusters to freeze from rust which could also require you to have to pump the pedal.  OOPS! 4 wheel disk in 94...disregard....

jc55 said:
glad this is happening now and not in the Branson Missouri, which is where we were a week ago!
Strictly for information...Tri Lakes Ford/Dodge just north of Branson on hwy 65 does MH chassis repairs.  They have a large garage (behind Dodge sales building) they built specifically for that purpose.

Molaker said:
Strictly for information...Tri Lakes Ford/Dodge just north of Branson on hwy 65 does MH chassis repairs.  They have a large garage (behind Dodge sales building) they built specifically for that purpose.
Thanks for the info, as I plan on returning to the area again. We found that the scenery was well worth the trip... all the available entertainment was just an added bonus. Definitely a destination we will return to!

Back
Top Bottom