Brakemaster Pro Braking System Help Please. Ive No Idea!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzer

Hi.

Just imported a Fourwinds Chateau 31P 2005 model from USA to England UK.  I own a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I want to use as a toad.  I have just bought a Brakemaster Pro braking system and Falcon 2 towbar system from Ebay in USA and am getting a friend to ship it back to the UK for me.  Unfortunately I think I may have made a mistake with the braking system (please understand I have no knowledge of how or why they work as this kind of thing is not available in he UK).  I thought the Brakemaster Pro was a fully self contained braking system that you just strap to the front of the seat and plug in.  I think I may have got that a bit wrong!!

Having looked on the web there is all sorts of conflicting information about how and why they work.  I need information from someone who actually owns and uses one please!!!!

Is this system a 2 part system with a bit that is fitted to the M/H braking system and the other half been the bit that attaches to the brake pedal of the Jeep or is the Brakemaster Pro totally self contained and just requires a power supply from inside the Jeep??

And also if it is a self contained unit how does it know when and how hard to apply the brakes??

Sorry if i sound a bit dumb but this is all new to me!!!

Many thanks in advance

Dazzer 

Dazzer,

I'm afraid you didn't buy what you thought you were buying. Here's the web site for the Brakemaster product. You could always re-sell it and buy something like the Brake Buddy, which is the 'box on the floor' style.

Hi Tom
I cant get the link to work so im still in the dark!!  Do I need another bit to make it work on my Chateau??

Thanks

Dazzer

That Brakemaster Pro link doesn't work, Tom. And I can't find any Brakemaster Pro device anywhere. Roadmaster has three different models of its Brakemaster system, but not sure if any were ever called "Pro".  If it's one of the Brakemaster line of products, he will need a compressor to provide air to the brake uit itself. Brakemaster 9160 comes with one and I believe the compressor unit is available separately as well.  There may be a kit to convert a standard "airbrake" Brakemaster to a hydraulic brake version.

Roadmaster does however make the Evenbrake, which is similar to a Brake Buddy "box on the floor".

A Tow-V-Aire is another brake that works on the same principle as the Brake Buddy, but uses coach power rather than the toad electrical system.

There are others as well.

Hi
This is a photo of the unit I have bought.  Hope it helps

Dazzer

Attachments

• eb47_1[1].jpg
    eb47_1[1].jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 28
Sorry, typo in the link. I've updated it, but it's also here. One correction - it's the BrakeMaster, not BrakeMaster Pro (I corrected it in my prior message).

Dazzer,

From your photo, you bought the BrakePro, not the Brakemaster. It is indeed a 'box on the floor' with an arm that attaches to the brake pedal. It has an internal compressor that is powered from a cigarette lighter.

Now the bad news - that's the one I bought that turned out to be more of a liability than a help due IMO to a design issue. It's a long story that I won't repeat, but suffice to say I returned it to Camping World for a full refund. Brakemaster subsequently redesigned the box and market the replacement as Even Brake.

Hi Tom

Well at least is is what i though it was!!!  Can you give me the link to your "problems" with your unit so i know what im getting into before i pay to ship it to the UK.

Thanks

Dazzer

Dazzer,

Here's the short version of the story, but will give you some idea of the issues. When you read this, bear in mind that I was towing a brand new vehicle, so I really wasn't happy about what the BrakePro was doing to the battery or the brakes.

Some things to think about...

Though the "Box on the floor" systems like the Brake Buddy, Brake Pro and a few others are easy to move from towed to towed, They do suck battery power out of the towed.

What's more they have to be "installed" every time you hook up,  Odds that you will make a mistake (or just plain forget it) are great,  Make a mistake and they tear up your vehicle brakes (Heck even the system I have did that when the dealer made a mistake)  Forget it and Murphy's law says that will be the one time you really really need it.

Now there are other systems of which the Brakemaster is one I looked at, and the US Gear Unified Brake Decelerator is the one I bought.  These are somewhat better.  First the brakemaster.. It is partially installed in the towed most all the time, hookup is more or less fool proof, the odds of a mistake are way lower than the Brake Pro.  But mistakes can still be made, forgetting is the worst one.  This system gets it's power from the "Tractor" (towing vehicle) so it does not take down your towed's battery.

The US Gear system is 100% electric, powered by both towed and towing batteries (There is a 40 amp breakered line hooking the two batteries together,  Works great and for me solved a non-related problem or two)

Once you have it properly installed it is a "Set and forget"  You plug it in along with the lights, and you unplug it along with the lights,  You hook a clamp to the brake pedal arm one time (At install) and never touch it again. Nothing to forget, Nothing to hook up wrong (the wires hook up only one way) I can not imagine a better system save for the M&G which would not fit on my car.. Everything I said about the US gear also applies to the M&G save the clamp on the brake pedal arm.. They do that differently, and the 40 amp jumper lead,, They don't use electric power at all

Back
Top Bottom