BrakeMate ST (and other brake controllers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thesameguy

There's one of these brake controllers in the Southwind, but wiring is... unhappy... so I've no idea if it works or not. Truthfully, I have no expectation I'll ever tow anything with the RV anyway... but I like options. :)

I was curious if anyone happens to have a recollection of this vintage hardware. The only discussion about it I've been able to find online is this:

https://www.outbackers.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22965

I've also found a couple Brakemate PDFs, but it's unclear whether they apply to the ST or not, so I am hesitant to rely on them.

Brakemate ST aside, the followup questions would be:

1. If not a Brakemate, what's a good brake controller in 2020?
2. Is the wiring for the Brakemate reasonably consistent with a modern controller? Power ground, in from brake light switch, out to trailer plug?

Thanks!

thesameguy said:
1. If not a Brakemate, what's a good brake controller in 2020?
2. Is the wiring for the Brakemate reasonably consistent with a modern controller? Power ground, in from brake light switch, out to trailer plug?

Most suggest using the Prodigy P2 or P3, they are as good as it gets with using inertia to control trailer brakes.

Yes, the wiring that you mentioned is all that connects.

Cool, thank you. I'll go ahead and rebuild what's there with new wire but add a connector so that I can easily switch out the brain later if there's a reason.

Back
Top Bottom