Brand New Rv Owner..maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cassiopeia

New member
Joined
Feb 28, 2013
Posts
2
Hi.  I am a 60 yr old grandma who is going to travel to the Northwest to check out an older RV camper.  It's old but looks in pretty good condition.  For all you experienced Rv people, full timers, can you advise me on where to go.  I don't want to use it to travel the US but to change my lifestyle.  I am thinking of parking it in Dallas, TX, maybe Washington state, Garden Grove Calif or Denver, Colorado.  I have been in Plano, Tx, and then to Las Vegas, Nevada before here (Taos, New Mexico).  I'm a young grandma...and adventurous but Taos is way too slow for me...even Radio Shack closed Nov 2012, and other stores too.  Vegas too hot n rocks, desert.  Any advice on good places with access to city life too.  Thanks soon much for your help.  M driving up to Washington state this week to see my new (maybe) RV. 
ANY ADVICE IS SO APPRECIATED,
Thanks...Lou
 
Welcome to the Forum, Lou!

We are right at your age, have five grandchildren in two states, and have been fulltiming for two and a half years. We have "lived" in Washington State (too wet in the winter), Texas (my office is in Richardson, too hot in the summer), near Colorado Springs in the fall (not bad, without fires and snow), near Las Vegas (again in the fall when it's nice), and Taos (but not in the dead of winter!).

All of this to say we have not been in the "one" place we would stay all year. We enjoy our travels while I work from the coach and the closest place we have found to a "maybe we need to stay here" was Bend, OR. We have lived in fifteen states during that time and have enjoyed every minute.

The difficulty with picking one place is the weather and the extremes. We are from the South, and no longer tolerate well the heat and humidity. But being from the South, we have no desire to freeze, either. So we continue to wander. The price of being cool in the summer and warm in the winter weigh into our considerations.

The best thing about the motorhome is the ability to pick up and change the scenery if it does not suit.

Take your time picking the right vehicle for you, take advantage of the Forum and the extensive resources, and ask lots of questions. There are many experience and knowledgeable folks here who are happy to help.

Kim
 
If you are more interested in parking it you would likely be better off with a trailer. It does not make a lot of sense to buy a big motorized vehicle then just park it after choosing a suitable location.

Find your preferred location and then buy a suitable trailer locally and have it delivered.

Welcome!!!
 
skyking4ar2 said:
Welcome to the Forum, Lou!

We are right at your age, have five grandchildren in two states, and have been fulltiming for two and a half years. We have "lived" in Washington State (too wet in the winter), Texas (my office is in Richardson, too hot in the summer), near Colorado Springs in the fall (not bad, without fires and snow), near Las Vegas (again in the fall when it's nice), and Taos (but not in the dead of winter!).

All of this to say we have not been in the "one" place we would stay all year. We enjoy our travels while I work from the coach and the closest place we have found to a "maybe we need to stay here" was Bend, OR. We have lived in fifteen states during that time and have enjoyed every minute.

The difficulty with picking one place is the weather and the extremes. We are from the South, and no longer tolerate well the heat and humidity. But being from the South, we have no desire to freeze, either. So we continue to wander. The price of being cool in the summer and warm in the winter weigh into our considerations.

The best thing about the motorhome is the ability to pick up and change the scenery if it does not suit.

Take your time picking the right vehicle for you, take advantage of the Forum and the extensive resources, and ask lots of questions. There are many experience and knowledgeable folks here who are happy to help.

Kim

Where in Bend did you stay?  We are currently staying in a house (DH company rents it) at Eagle Crest in Redmond.  I am considering bringing my MH up from California when the weather gets a little warmer and then the company would pay for the site but, I haven't found any RV Resorts/Campgrounds here.  I found one in Prineville...a closed one in Bend...?

TIA, Mikie
 
We stayed at Crown Villa for two weeks and wish it had been two months (especially based on the experience at the next stop in central California).

Bend had a really healthy and fun feel to it, big city amenities in a smaller city, and I got to enjoy (or not) some great emergency health care. Of the many stops we have made in the last few years, this was one of the first that seemed to fit our idea of how to enjoy an area. Lots to do and eat and that's how we roll!
 
Hi Cassiopeia! Welcome.

I'm pretty new to all this so can't offer a huge amount of advice, but live in the Seattle area so if you need any pointers while up here, let me know. Washington--at least King County--is a pretty pricey place to live. That's why I'm selling my home and hitting the road. I figure someplace in my travels, I'm likely to find a place that feels like home.

Good luck!
Wayzgoose
 
Cassiopeia said:
Hi.  I am a 60 yr old grandma who is going to travel to the Northwest to check out an older RV camper.  It's old but looks in pretty good condition.  For all you experienced Rv people, full timers, can you advise me on where to go.  I don't want to use it to travel the US but to change my lifestyle.  I am thinking of parking it in Dallas, TX, maybe Washington state, Garden Grove Calif or Denver, Colorado.  I have been in Plano, Tx, and then to Las Vegas, Nevada before here (Taos, New Mexico).  I'm a young grandma...and adventurous but Taos is way too slow for me...even Radio Shack closed Nov 2012, and other stores too.  Vegas too hot n rocks, desert.  Any advice on good places with access to city life too.  Thanks soon much for your help.  M driving up to Washington state this week to see my new (maybe) RV. 
ANY ADVICE IS SO APPRECIATED,
Thanks...Lou

If you are thinking of Garden Grove CA, be careful as there are few places for a RV.  We left in 2000 and usually park at the Elks Lodge while visiting.  There are few RV parks in the area and those are generally very pricey.  The city restrictions on parking on property are not good either.  There are a few places that take long term residents but they usually require mobile homes.  There are a few more in the surrounding areas, Buena Park, Westminster, etc. but again most have restrictions on length of stay and age of RV.  Check GG out very carefully.

Now why Garden Grove, grand kids???
 
skyking4ar2 said:
We stayed at Crown Villa for two weeks and wish it had been two months (especially based on the experience at the next stop in central California).

Bend had a really healthy and fun feel to it, big city amenities in a smaller city, and I got to enjoy (or not) some great emergency health care. Of the many stops we have made in the last few years, this was one of the first that seemed to fit our idea of how to enjoy an area. Lots to do and eat and that's how we roll!

Thanks for the info, I'll drive over there today and check it out.  Like I said...when the weather gets better I would like to bring our MH here and stay in it instead of the house at Eagle Crest. 

I agree that there is a healthy feel for this area...Redmond, Bend, Sisters, etc.  Except, lately on the news they've been talking a lot about a heroin problem in Bend!  Guess that's just how it is everywhere...sick world we live in.  Sorry, just my personal opinion!!!  LOL
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
132,775
Posts
1,400,641
Members
138,401
Latest member
natalihu
Back
Top Bottom