Breaker for 110 outlets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donandlin

At one moment most of our Holiday Rambler outlets quit working. Picture attd show the ones that don’t work marked in yellow. There is also an outlet in an outside compartment below the refrigerator that doesn’t work. Again, all these went out at the same time and were not overloaded. C4077F78-5B7A-496A-AEBF-9E2A4E17C939.jpegWe’ve checked GFI and our circuit breakers and all looked good as well as that everything else works and checks out fine. Is there a breaker somewhere that we missed or something else to look for? Thanks!

One more thing.. other outlets are not affected, just those marked

Are you handy with a meter? I would start to see if I had power on the incoming side of the Gfi ? Then I would check if I had power leaving each breaker. It's not uncommon for a gfi to go bad, but the specific outlets... the one by the headboard, seems like an odd place to be included with a gfi circuit. Even possible you have 2 things going on.

Both those in the vanity would be on a GFCI, so that's where I would start looking. You said you "checked" and "looked good", but that's not very conclusive. A GFCI either tests/resets ok or not. And a breaker should be tripped and reset regardless of how it looks. A test meter would give you better status.

Is the the one in the front the tv outlet or separate? You know the tv outlet is linked to the ignition key for safety reasons, right?

If you have an inverter, check if a breaker on the front/side of the inverter has tripped (ours has 2 breakers, each feeding a different set of receptacles).

Also, you may not have found all the GFI's. Sometimes they're inside a cabinet, and one of ours is in a dark area on the side of a dresser in the bedroom; Very difficult to see.

As Gary mentioned, the front TV is likely controlled by the ignition switch (if the ignition is on, power to the TV outlet is disconnected).

Outlet in front is under dash and has nothing to do with tv. GFI will not reset on outlet in toilet area. Only other GFI outlet is under kitchen sink and that outlet works fine. Will check inverter as that possibility seems real. Thanks

Outlet in front is under dash and has nothing to do with tv.
OK thanks for the clarification, it wasn't obvious from the drawing.
GFI will not reset on outlet in toilet area.
That's a clue that there's likely no power to that circuit, probably due to a tripped breaker. Hopefully it's as simple as one on the outside of an inverter. Ours has tripped multiple times over the years, usually when my better half turned on too many appliances. It got to the point that I could find/reset it in the dark.

Have you checked outside outlets and/or outlets in the storage bays.? They are also GFCI protected. Probably from one of the inside GFCI receptacles.

I’m reading the Magnum inverter manual and they show wiring coming out to a main panel and a sub panel (to 120 vac outlets). I have never found a sub panel in our coach. Where might it be? The main panel is inside above the driver seat. There are circuit breakers on the sub panel that could be the problem. image.jpg

I’m reading the Magnum inverter manual and they show wiring coming out to a main panel and a sub panel (to 120 vac outlets). I have never found a sub panel in our coach. Where might it be? The main panel is inside above the driver seat. There are circuit breakers on the sub panel that could be the problem.
Where were the breakers you mentioned in your first message that you'd checked? Were they the ones in the 'main panel'?

If there's a hidden sub panel, I'd check cabinets and look for one in a basement bay. RV manufacturers can be 'creative' when they hide some of this stuff; I found a junction box by prying up the floor of a small lower side cabinet, and that junction box fed several 110V circuits that I needed to rearrange.

Meanwhile, the photo you posted shows two breakers on the output side of the inverter; Did you check if either of these was tripped?

Those are all connected to the same circuit / wire. I had the same problem. One of my plugs that all those wires went through was disconnected which makes any after that plug not work.

Tom, the breakers were on the main panel. Wow, we have had this coach since ‘13 and I thought I knew where everything was. I’ll start investigating!

Reactions: Tom
Tom, the two breakers on the output side(lower right on picture?) is the sub panel I can’t find. The #16 in this pic is not popped out and doesn’t push in. image.jpgimage.jpg

I just replaced a GFCI receptacle at the house that went bad -- so they do occasionally fail.

At first try to set the new one, I got nothing. Then I pushed harder on the reset button. The first push felt okay but the second push depressed it more and I got a nice click, and the receptacle worked. Point being: when you try the reset button, be sure you push it all the way in -- it may depress more than you expect.

Thanks for all the help! Here’s what happened. We had lots of rain yesterday in AZ and the cords lighting up the Christmas lights got wet and triggered the GFCI outlet which affected all the other ones on the circuit! Another pretty simple fix that we will remember! Happy Holidays!

Great outcome. Glad you got it figured out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom