Breaker panel issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordob

I recently installed solar on my roof, an inverter and a gopower automatic transfer switch. When hooking up the transfer switch I had to disconnect the RV battery charger from the breaker panel to connect to the switch. That breaker had another wire spliced into it. I disconnected that wire and connected it back into the breaker and connected the charger to the transfer switch. My problem is when I completed hookups and turned everything on. I could not get dc power to my slideout. I shut the breaker off that the extra wire from the charger went into and it works fine. Anybody have any idea what that extra wire goes to and why it controls dc power when off to my slideout. The breaker is the CONV/GEN breaker in the picture image.jpg582C1E39-EB1B-49AC-A0E7-735CB2A72C6A.jpeg

The first thing I would do is put the wiring back the way it was to see if normal operation resumes. You need to find out if the failure is due to wiring problems or if it's due to a malfunction of something.

This is what I call a "freebie", it's a diagnostic test that takes very little time and requires no new parts, yet it will tell you something important.

The converter should have been left as is. Not sure why you might have reconnected is some other way.

Is this a motor home with a generator? Is that the reason for the transfer switch?

The transfer switch is simply fed by the generator and the shore power, and then connects to the 30 amp main breaker.

Are you using the inverter to supply the entire electrical system? How big is the inverter, and how much battery do you have supplying it. Many times, inverters, especially smaller one that are not capable of supplying the entire RV will just supply specific outlets.

Certainly the converter cannot operate if the inverter is supplying the entire panel, so you either have to turn off the converter or thinking more about this, does the inverter automatically cut off the converter when it is operating and that is the reason for connecting it to the inverter?

I suspect your slide didn't operate because you didn't have the battery on, but guessing here.

Really need more info.

Charles

To answer your questions. I had to connect the charger to shore power only, so it would not run the charger when on inverter power. Was not sure what the other wire was so connected it back to the breaker.
No it is not a motor home and has no generator. It is a trailer. The switch is to control the power automatically when switching from shore power to inverter power and control the charger to only run on shore power.
the inverter is a 2000 watt inverter and I have 2 6 volt batteries. I also have 2 solar panels for charging as well. Yes the inverter is to run the entire panel.
no the inverter does not cut off the converter when on. I tried the slide with the inverter on and off and not connected to shore power and the only way I could get it to work was with the breaker off. I am assuming that breaker is for the converter now. The batteries were on when I tried this.
I am thinking that the converter should only run on shore power as well and I should connect through the transfer switch with the battery charger.
really appreciate all your input and help.
Gord

Attachments

• D0FFCDAE-845F-46A3-9222-E5AECA47C655.jpeg
    D0FFCDAE-845F-46A3-9222-E5AECA47C655.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 3
  • E1E7EBDD-3E6B-410F-8CBF-52B082755DF8.jpeg
    E1E7EBDD-3E6B-410F-8CBF-52B082755DF8.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 4
  • A5C9DE85-6F72-4CC5-9DBA-4467CFD7225E.jpeg
    A5C9DE85-6F72-4CC5-9DBA-4467CFD7225E.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1F42B9F6-C327-480A-A2FE-75ED473B398F.jpeg
    1F42B9F6-C327-480A-A2FE-75ED473B398F.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 4
I'm guessing that "GEN" on that breaker is short for "general purpose" rather than "generator", but that would not seem to cause the problem you described.

Have you hunted around to see what doesn't work with that extra wire shut off or disconnected? We could guess all day long and not hit the right answer.

I have checked most lights, microwave and fans. Maybe I will try all the plugs. Should I try plugging the trailer into shore power and see if it makes a difference?

Should I try plugging the trailer into shore power and see if it makes a difference?
Theoretically the rest of the system doesn't know where the external 120v power comes from, so shore power is not supposed to make a difference. But this is strange, sowhy not give it a try and gain an additional data point.

Well I plugged into shore power and turned the breaker on and the slide worked. I unplugged shore power and tried slides with breaker on and not sure why but now it works fine. Not sure why it would not work before but it seems to have figured itself out and everything is working fine now. Thank you everybody for the tips and tricks.
Gord

Back
Top Bottom