Brite Tec vs Fiberglass roofs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Note, however, that both EDPM and fiberglass are "one piece" and both have the same potential leak areas, i.e. the front & rear cap seams, side seams and all the various roof openings for a/c, sklights, plumbing vents, etc.

Not all fiberglass roofs have the potential leak at the fron and rear end cap seams.  The American coaches have not visible seam at the end caps.  Only potential leak areas would be around cutouts for the vents and etc.  These areas need periodic maintenance to insure the caulking is acceptable.  That is where Eternabond works so well.

RV Roamer said:
Note, however, that both EDPM and fiberglass are "one piece" and both have the same potential leak areas, i.e. the front & rear cap seams, side seams and all the various roof openings for a/c, sklights, plumbing vents, etc.

For clarification Gary, the front and rear cap seams are something I specifically checked out at the Monaco factory. Although the caps and roof are put on separately, and there's a gap of an inch or two between them (hardly a seam), they're glassed together afterwards. You won't find a "seam" there on the roof of my Monaco.

I would call any joint between separately manufactured pieces a seam, regardless of the method of sealing them. Especially given how a motorhome chassis twists around.  However, it sounds as though Monaco and American have done the best possible job of closing that joint.

Using that definition, fiberglass is one amorphous mass of seams  :)

Hi, Guys!

Pardon my delay!? I should have checked back in sooner.

As far as the "9 out of 10 coaches returned for leak repair," that could be an old figure.? I use it because I haven't heard anything else since.? And we've been using that for several years already.? Having grown up in RVs, however, I don't find that figure outrageous.? My father fell in love with the old Dodge Travco coach and he probably had 5 or 6 different Travcos, peaking with four at one time.?
*********************************************************************************
Potential ad speak:

This fact is what spurred him to develop Protect All in the first place.

*********************************************************************************

I just remember sitting next to him on MANY trips.? He rigged a table over the engine hatch upon which I sat. (what are seatbelts?)? Every time we hit rain, he had a drip either on his lap or somewhere on the dash.? And I seem to recall this happening in every single coach he ever owned.

So I'll stand by my figures until I'm provided with new ones and I don't find leak claims outrageous.? I have no doubt that part of the impetus to switch to EPDM roofing was the cost involved and they are probably cheaper than the fiberglass roofs.

Tom, I'm sure the leaks are seams and not "hole-y" fiberglass.? You'd think they could seal the seams, vents, etc. equally well on either material but the numbers I've heard indicate otherwise.? The EPDM material is supposed to be nearly "bulletproof" unless punctured and the wholesalers claim it isn't affected by the sun.? Example:? We have the black EPDM on top of our warehouse.? When we finally got ALL the seams sealed properly, no leaks and it should last decades.

Pat

Patrickh60 said:
Tom, I'm sure the leaks are seams and not "hole-y" fiberglass.

That's the only thing that makes sense Pat. Many of today's roofs are either one piece or, as in the case of my Monaco, three pieces glassed together. There's no way for these to leak. Seals around vents and A/C units are another issue. I can't tell from your anecdotal "info" how many of the leakers were due to true seams (as was the case with my old Pace Arrow) and how many were due to leaks around vents, etc. Personally, I think that spreading the word about fiberglass roofs without the full information (and the data to back it up) is really doing people a disservice. Being able to clarify it by saying, for example, 6 out of 10 f/g roofs with seams leak at the seams and 3 out 10 f.g roofs leak around vents and A/C units (whatever the correct numbers are) would be much more credible and less scaremongering.

Having said that, I actually owned (and still own) a boat that had a pinhole through a very thick area of fiberglass in the transom (manufacturing defect). Fortunately there was no wood involved, and it presented no structural issue. Permanently fixng it was an easy job for the boat yard. But the leak, albeit a tiny one, was very apparent and left no doubt in anyone's mind, unlike a leak around some opening in a sandwich roof that shows up somewehere else at a later date after the damage is done. This was the only time I've seen such a pinhole in fiberglass.

Whether it be an EPDM, FIBERGLASS, or Metal the areas around the vents, air conditioners etc are the most prone to leakage.? The sealant around these is subject to degradation and should be looked at annually.? IMHO fiberglas roofs are the best available today on RV/s built as RV/s from the ground up.? Also IMHO EPDM roofs do not even come close to a fiberglass roof.? We have had experience with metal,? EPDM,? and fiberglass roof and the fiberglass has been the best in reliability, low maintenance, and basically trouble free. Looks better too.
Code:

You laugh but I plan to spend a lot of time on my roof.  I figure it is the only place I will be able to sunbathe in the nude.

Smoky said:
You laugh but I plan to spend a lot of time on my roof. I figure it is the only place I will be able to sunbathe in the nude.

LOL Smoky, you'll need to be very selective with your campgrounds.

Why Tom?

If I am on the roof they can't see me.

And if somehow they do happen to see my 65 year old bod, they will run away in horror.

Short (And I'm told true) story... I heard this from the party of the falling part.

There was a woman who liked to lie out in her properly fenced in back yard avoiding tan lines

Her next door neighbor needed a new roof.  My friend was one of the roofers

First side of the house no porblems.... When he went over the ridge to start the second time he got a bit distracted...So much so that he failed to watch where he was going...When he cilmbed up to the roof again (Without climging back down) His father (And boss) ask himwhat happened.

(In short, no injury)

You laugh but I plan to spend a lot of time on my roof.  I figure it is the only place I will be able to sunbathe in the nude.

Smoky's version of "being in the doghouse" when the Admiral is upset. ;D ;D

I think that spreading the word about fiberglass roofs without the full information (and the data to back it up) is really doing people a disservice

Point taken.  I don't think we were given that specific information.

I'll just crawl back in my hole and watch the parade.

Patrickh60 said:
I'll just crawl back in my hole and watch the parade.

LOL Pat, no need to do that. Some of us are just pragmatic, while others are from Milwaukee, er ... Missouri.

John,

>>There was a woman who liked to lie out in her properly fenced in back yard avoiding tan lines<<

You will like this one!  Our neighbor liked to do the same.  The problem was we lived near the Naval Air station and the pilots used to cut the corner of the approach pattern whenever she was out there.  This went on for a couple of years when one wise guy, dropped a note to her.  Ruined a lot of skin watching.  He was not popular with his buddies!!

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom