Brits - Bitten to Bits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi All

Well, we've been here for nearly 3 weeks now and the bites are starting to annoy us.

Is it just our fresh UK blood that attracts these bugs, or do you all suffer ?

It wouldnt be so bad if we could see some of the little **** and could swat a few, but we havent seen a single one of the culprits yet - and we each have around 50 nice little red bite marks.

What can forum members suggest to best deter the bugs ?

We bought some spray with high Deet %, but of course only started using it AFTER getting bit (and it doesnt seem to do much).

Help !!

Paul & Ann-Marie

Sorry Paul did we neglect to mention one of the things Florida is really noted for??  Yep bugs, Sneaky little creatures that even go through screens.  I am not the least bit fond of Florida and can't say anything good about it except there are some real neat Framily members there that have found a way to ignore those little creatures as well as all the other attractions like hurricanes etc.  Best advice I can give you is head West and escape that whole state.  You still got time to get to the Quartzsite Rally before the potluck but you will  have to hurry. ;D ;D ;)

Paul,

They're called no-see-ums and will get into your RV even through the screens.  Do not sleep with the windows open or you'll get eaten alive during the night.  During the day, you have to watch for the fire ants, and about evening, the mosquitos come out in full force.  Oh, then there's the sand fleas.  Around sundown you can see them jumping by the thousands.

We got over FL in our first year of fulltiming after we discoverd the southwest.

Paul,

Most likely Chiggers ! Do a search on Google. The ones in Florida are not dangerous,but annoying to say the least.

Ooops sorry Paul
forgot to tell you about the no-see-ums it must be the pure white flesh ,i got eaten alive when i got in a sneaky RV wash at dusk whilst at  Fort Myers last year

The part of Florida you are in seems to have a problem with no-see-ums and other pesty critters.  Sand fleas and tiny little spider mites as well, all biting. They do seem to like fresh meat better than long term Floridians - I suspect that one builds up an immunity and simply does not react to the tiny bites after a few years here.

Nights are cooler in central & northern Florida and far fewer bugs this time of year. Come on up! Titusville/Daytona/Ormond Beach is nice this time of year. We are further inland near Ocala where it is generally cooler than the coast but still nice (but chilly at nightfall).  The Crystal River & Hommasassa area on the Gulf Coast is also nice.

Paul,

Come on over to Titusville. We have a lot fewer bugs here. We also have a screen room for evenings to watch the sunset. Never have seen sand fleas here or no see ums. We do have mosquitos but the spray the park every week for them so they're not bad at all.

Jim Dick said:
Come on over to Titusville. We have a lot fewer bugs here.

But Jim, you didn't tell him about the alligator in your back yard. Is your screen room also alligator-proof?

My northern blood seems to keep them away.  Must be the foreign food they like.  Nights have been wonderfully cool, days nice and warm.  Skeeters way less that RI by the shore. 

Tom said:
But Jim, you didn't tell him about the alligator in your back yard. Is your screen room also alligator-proof?

Unfortunately our pet alligator seems to have disappeared. Haven't seen it all year. Hope we get another soon. :)

Sorry to hear you've lost your pet Jim. OTOH I wasn't very fond of petting him when we visited  ;D

Tom said:
Sorry to hear you've lost your pet Jim. OTOH I wasn't very fond of petting him when we visited  ;D

It's not the same without him around. He didn't take to petting very much. He would have enjoyed a meal on anyones hand, though. ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom