Brit's touring in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Maybe I'm oversimplifying this, but ...

When we first came to the US we were on B1/B2 visas and lived temporarily in a hotel. We bought a new car from a dealership, and an insurance agent (found through Yellow Pages) met me in a restaurant at 10pm to write the insurance. I don't recall mentioning that we were not US citizens, nor that we were visiting on a visa, although we discussed the fact that we had 'just arrived' and compared the differences between UK and US insurance. The only negative was the fact that we didn't have 12 months of history driving in the US, so we had to buy a different policy from him at a higher premium; When the 12 months was up, our premium dropped 50%. This 12 months minimum driving record was independent of how long we'd lived in the US.

Several years later we bought our first RV (new from a dealer) and I merely called the insurance agent to arrange coverage. Somewhere in my later discussions with the agent I asked about the cost of 6 months vs 12 months insurance; He explained that they assumed an RV would be used only 6 months a year (excluding fulltimers), and that there wouldn't be any difference in the premium for 6 vs 12 months. This might be something you need to ask prospective insurers. If there's no difference in the premium, why not insure for 12 months? This would give you coverage for damage or fire loss for however long the RV is in storage.
Maybe different States have different rules Tom.  I know that when we met Allen and Suzanne from Australia they use Californian insurance but they have a Montana LLC which might make a difference, although they pay a similar amount to us.

I think that finding an agent to source insurance might be a good way to go as they can do the legwork for you.

Our RV salesman even asked a couple of insurers for us and they wouldn't insure Brits.  I think, but cannot be definite as the old brain cells are getting old, that I was asked for information that I could not provide (driver's licence, or SS no. or something that only a US Citizen would have), which meant they would not insure us.

We have paid almost the same premium every year with no discount.  I really should be doing more research I guess or going to an agent.

One thing though is that the storage facility we use ask for proof of insurance as does the RV park we are in if we stay for a month.... 

I would not be happy leaving our stuff uninsured as you just never know what might happen.

[quote author=jackiemac]Maybe different States have different rules[/quote]
Absolutely correct Jackie. Insurance companies have to meet the respective state insurance commission(er) requirements, in addition to any other legal requirements. FWIW we were in California when we got our first insurance coverage (while still living in a motel). A few weeks later we moved to a rented house, but that wasn't known at the time I bought the insurance.

I think that finding an agent to source insurance might be a good way to go as they can do the legwork for you.
A semantic issue. Insurance agents are typically independent agencies that represent one or more insurers. They typically won't shop around other insurers (from whom they receive no commission or other payment). Someone who'll shop around is what I think of as an insurance broker.

... information that I could not provide (driver's licence, or SS no. or something that only a US Citizen would have)...

Understand but, for clarification, there are millions of non-US citizens who have a SS number (e.g. all the folks on green cards and some work visas). The SS number is required for someone to legally work here. If a SSN was a 'must have' (to buy, register or insure a vehicle), there may an alternative for folks with an LLC; There's something called an EIN (employer identification number), which looks like a SSN. I haven't researched this for individuals or LLCs, but have experience securing an EIN for organizations such as non-profits and clubs. One likely downside of obtaining an EIN is that you'd probably need to file taxes, which is something you probably wouldn't want to do.

It used to be that visitors were able to get a California drivers license, but I believe they changed that. I'm not familiar with the residency requirements for other states' drivers licenses.

We have paid almost the same premium every year with no discount.

That might be because you're not here and driving for a continuous period of 12 months, or whatever the insurer's requirements are.

Thanks for all that Tom.. Useful and helps me understand the insurance.  The difference in language confuses me a lot!!    ;)

Back
Top Bottom