Broke Down in Cripple Creek Co

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimivc1

One month to the day since we left our home in FL.  Been to AL/TN/OH/IN/KS and have been in Colorado (Cripple Creek KOA) since Saturday.  So far the trip has gone smooth. 

Leaving this AM to head to Estes Park CO, my 2006 Tiffin Cummins FRED decided to throw us a curve.  Upon starting the engine up I got a check engine light and then a RED Stop Engine indication.  ECU 128 Diag Code 1.

Called GoodSam Roadside service and they will have a mobile repair unit to come check it out.

While waiting on Good Sam and trying to contact local diesel repair folks, I noticed that my house 120VAC was not working.  I also noticed that when I tried to run my ONAN 5500 generator that the unit would run rough belching smoke and blinking red off and on but did not shut off until I manually turned it off.  (Note:  there was zero blinking lights indicating a fault).  I checked oil and levels are correct.

Plugged back into shore power and can't help but wonder if the engine fault code is electrical.  I have looked over all my breakers and my main battery disconnect is working so did not see anything that would be of concern.

So while waiting for the "expert" tomorrow AM, I thought I would see if anyone had some thoughts as to what my problem could be. 

Thanks,

Jim :(

Just to clarify you had issues with the 120VAC shore power as well as the 120VAC generator power?

If it was just the generator, which I assume is also diesel, my first guess would be bad fuel.

Isaac-1 said:
Just to clarify you had issues with the 120VAC shore power as well as the 120VAC generator power?

If it was just the generator, which I assume is also diesel, my first guess would be bad fuel.

Shore power works fine.  We have hooked back up until the mobile RV mechanic arrives tomorrow. 

Then it sounds like the only commonality between the generator and the main engine is the fuel supply.

Isaac-1 said:
Then it sounds like the only commonality between the generator and the main engine is the fuel supply.

I would agree with that. I did use a diesel fuel additive (stablizer) 300 miles or so ago.  Was thinking the rig sitting at 10K feet altitude for the last couple of days may have created a "bubble" in the fuel/oil/antifreeze lines.

But doesn't explain why the coach 120VAC wasn't working which has me thinking electrical issue somewhere.

Isaac-1 said:

cripple Creek sits up around 9500 ft. could be air fuel mix issue

Sounds like a fuel issue. If the generator isn't running properly it won't provide enough juice to power your a/c unit. A/C works on shore power, then your electrical system is fine.

I used to live at 9,200' elevation. Everything is different at that altitude.

Back
Top Bottom