Broke window in Toy Hauler, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sodapop777

Our maiden voyage included Murphy. I accidentally broke the upper window at the foot/head of the main bed (electric lift) in the back. Dealer wants $350!!!! I think I'll stick with the duct taped remaining window if I can't find a better deal than that. I'd bet it not more than one square foot.

any suggestions? I'm thinking of a local glass shop, but I know the window is tinted. any other special gotchas when replacing a small fixed window in an RV?

Thanks
Pam
:'(

Can this be loosely called a "windshield'? My insurance company replaced a large side window that was broken and the same time they replaced a from windshield that had a chip, both covered under my windshield coverage. I called a regular auto glass company and they turnd up with the glass for the windshield and a complete window for the side.

Call your insurer. Normally, insurers have discounts that shops they do alot of business with will grant to the insurer. Many times, I've found that the dealers call the glass shop to do the work anyway. They may not tell their customers, but it's routinely done. As an insurance broker I've found the glass shops more reliable than dealers. You might also inquire whether the glass shop will complete the work at your home (or where your rig is stored), which saves you time. 

It's just an upper window that gives some light to the bed when it's lifted up as a bunk. It's a rounded rectangle (I have a picture but don't know how to post one). The left side is fixed (and broken) and the right side slides over to the left and there's a screen on the right. it's only 12" high and maybe 24 wide. I'm wondering if the dealer was going to replace the whole unit instead of just that one piece of glass.

sodapop777 said:
I have a picture but don't know how to post one

Click on FAQ in the toolbar above and select the line item for attaching photos to message.

sodapop777 said:
. I'm wondering if the dealer was going to replace the whole unit instead of just that one piece of glass.

Generally (and where I RV shop "Generally" is the rule, that is a joke, it's General RV) the answer to your question is YES

They do not replace glass, they replace windows, frames, sliders, latches, and all

Now, another place I shop (Henderson Glass) replaces glass

Yet another place (Local hardware store) replaces plexaglass

Which is what I would suggest you have installed there,  You may have to remove the frame if going to a hardware (not a task for the unexpierenced unless, as in my case, it's a one screw and slide it out job) but the professional glass shop is not above working off a ladder if that's what's needed. (One of those general rules)  I'd give them a stop in...

I broke the glass front on my oven door (not see through) and the company wants 80 bucks for a new door......

I'm planing on replacing just the glass, though we may have to modify the plan a bit, it will get done.

Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted one glass shop and they will pretty much replace anything, anywhere...for a price. But it's much less than the dealer. So we'll see what they come up with. I'm taking the TH to them next week when we return. I leave tomorrow AM for the holiday weekend and will have 2 days of peace before the brood arrives  ;D

Okay, attaching picture (fingers crossed)

Attachments

• new camper 2005 broken window.JPG
    new camper 2005 broken window.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom