Broken Cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
We baby sat our new grandson yesterday, so I figured it was the right time to get some 7 month photos.  I got out my Nikon D200 but couldn't take photos.  When I press the shutter release the mirror pops up and locks.  Hit the shutter release again and the mirror drops, but now photo is recorded.  Not wanting to miss the opportunity I got out my back-up a Nikon D100.  I wasn't working either........  The flash goes off after the shutter has released.  I mounted the SB800 and no change.  But it does do well without the flash. 

Thinking that there was a very good chance that there was noting wrong other than user error I haulled them up to  a reliable camera shop that handles Nikon gear.  Two of the folks there checked them out and agreed they need to go in for repair.

Nikon wants $224 each to check them out.  A D200 can be had on ebay for under $300 so this didn't sound good.  Bottom line: I ordered a Nikon D7000 from B&H.  This way I will have a camera for Christmas and the old D-100 will still serve as a back up in the field.

George!  Merry Christmas!

If I send you my two oldish cameras, how long would you need before you could send them back inoperative?  I want a new camera, but need a good excuse, er, reason!  ::) ;)

Don

Chet18013 said:
Get your manuals out and do a reset on each camera.

Call the NIKON USA tech support and they'll walk you through the reset if you can't find the manuals. I've had to do it twice on my D300 & D800.
Good idea, Chet. It sounds to me like you have accidently changed something in one of the menus.

I agree on the reset, It was saved me on occasion after I messed up the setting.

You will love that D7000!!!

Next, get the battery grip for it. It will seem to go forever between charges.

Hey Don:  Send me your working cameras and I will return two that don't work.

Re reset:  Tried the reset, went through the manuals front to back, and had two Nikon knowledgeable people at the camera shop go through them.

When I informed the DW that I had ordered a new camera I expected her to go through the roof.  I explained to her that we will want Christmas photos with our 7 month old grandson and she readily agreed that a new camera was necessary. 

mariekie4 said:
Moral of this story - Next time you need something new and want to clear it with your wife, just convince her that it will be to the benefit of the grandkids!!!! ;D ;D ;D

There's a lot of truth in that statement...

For some unknown reason I have lost the ability to upload pictures from either camera, a Nikon and a Canon. DW still wants pictures of the grand kids figuring we will eventually get the problem solved. Stoopid 'puter says it cannot detect either camera, it worked well until recently.

RoyM said:
For some unknown reason I have lost the ability to upload pictures from either camera, a Nikon and a Canon. DW still wants pictures of the grand kids figuring we will eventually get the problem solved. Stoopid 'puter says it cannot detect either camera, it worked well until recently.
You should get a USB adaptor for and SD card, then you could just plug the SD directly into the computer.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-MicroSD-Reader-Writer-GFR204SD/dp/B0046TJG1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386933624&sr=8-1

If you have a laptop computer, many of them come with a builtin SD card read.

Boy, Talk about having egg on your face!

I listed the camera on E-Bay as "broken, for parts only".  I got a message from a potential buyer suggesting that perhaps the camera is not broken and only has a bad battery.

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, I have the MB-D200 battery grip on it which holds two batteries.  Indications are the batteries are fine.  I took one out and left one in................ still broke.  Switched batteries and WALAAAA, it works fine.  One of the batteries is bad. 

Now I have a working D200 with less than 9K shots on it and a new D7000 in the mail.  I haven't decided what I'm going to do now.  Used D200s are going for around $250 on E-Bay, so one alternative is to sell the 200 on E-Bay and keep the 7000.  But I'm tempted to tell myself Merry Christmas and keep both.

DW says it's up to me.  ;) ;D :) :p

SeilerBird said:
You should get a USB adaptor for and SD card, then you could just plug the SD directly into the computer.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-MicroSD-Reader-Writer-GFR204SD/dp/B0046TJG1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386933624&sr=8-1
Thank you Tom, that solved the problem. 8) 8) It is a lot faster too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom