Building a new RV site for a single camper, have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A pressure tank is the right answer and not expensive.
Given a well with pump, why would I want to
1) fill my tank
2) run my pump too
Agree with Rob&Deryl... Add a pressure tank to the well pump. If there isn't already a little pump house covering the pump, make a simple cover. It doesn't need a lot of protection, no more than the pump itself. Connect the pump to a pressure tank with a pressure switch that shuts pump on/off. Then just connect the RV to the tank outlet as "city water" and forget using the RV's tank & pump. This is an easy and not expensive upgrade. You don't need a big tank - 4 gallons will do the job adequately. A pressure switch is only $25 online and $35 in local stores.

I'm curious what happened to the previous pressure tank - it was not built into the mobile home, so where did it go? It's typically right at the pump.

Pressure tanks do wear out, and modern bladder style pressure tanks do need to have the air pressure in them checked and topped off about once per year. This process involves turning off the water and draining the tank in order to get a true air pressure reading then adjusting it to a bit below the cut in pressure of the pressure switch.

You need a pressure tank for the well, it will drive the pump crazy without one. If you are worried about winterization, remove it in the winter and reinstall it in the spring. Build a little doghouse to protect it but you could just unscrew it in the winter and take it home. They are relatively inexpensive and you don't need one over about 5 gal capacity. You will burn up the pump without it.

The septic needs a female threaded 4 inch with a plug which can be removed and an adapter installed. The one Isaac-1 shows is what I was going to suggest, the RV'er will need to provide that.

NEC only requires a main disconnect if you have over 6 handles, but I would consider installing a lockable disconnect under the meter.

Charles

A pressure tank is the right answer and not expensive.

Agree with Rob&Deryl... Add a pressure tank to the well pump. If there isn't already a little pump house covering the pump, make a simple cover. It doesn't need a lot of protection, no more than the pump itself. Connect the pump to a pressure tank with a pressure switch that shuts pump on/off. Then just connect the RV to the tank outlet as "city water" and forget using the RV's tank & pump. This is an easy and not expensive upgrade. You don't need a big tank - 4 gallons will do the job adequately. A pressure switch is only $25 online and $35 in local stores.

I'm curious what happened to the previous pressure tank - it was not built into the mobile home, so where did it go? It's typically right at the pump.
Indeed, there needs to be a pressure tank, manifold, pressure relief, and pressure switch. The tank could be buried and still there, but if old, it would need to be replaed, as this far north, something would have to be done to protect it, and they do make tanks intended for burial, in the same way there are underground propane tanks.

A few hunded dollars to do it all right or a few hundred to do it wrong.

Charles

It sounds like you have a drilled well with a submersible pump. The piping comes up from the pump then through the side of the well casing using a pitless adapter. Now that adapter is below the frost line but the pipe that comes up from the adapter that will be full of water will freeze. The pump has a foot valve to keep the pipe full of water. You’re going to have to figure out some way to drain that pipe from the ground level to the pitless adapter.

What you could do is install a farm hydrant. Google it. It’s a valve on top of a piece of pipe which is connected to the underground pipe. When you shut the valve off, the water in the pipes drains out through a drain hole at the bottom. You could install one of them, then run a piece of black pipe from the hydrant outlet to the tank then from the tank to a hose to the RV. In the fall, shut off the spigot then remove the hose from the tank outlet. That will allow the tank to drain and the water in the hydrant will drain also. No need to bring anything in for the winter. There, all winterized.

Note: the tank will have a pressure switch so that will turn the pump on and off as water is being drawn from the RV. You could build a small doghouse to put over the tank just to keep it and the switch out of the weather.

Last edited:
Note there are a lot of assumptions going on here as to the type of well you have, and a lot of generalities, so the specifics for your installation may slightly differ. My guess is you are looking at around $250-$300 plus wiring cost to set up a pressure tank with the type of well I suspect you have. I would suggest going with something no smaller than a 10 gallon pressure tank connected to a pressure switch to control the well pump. Here is likely everything you need in the "frequently bought together" list Pressure tank, manifold with pressure switch and a check valve to prevent back flow, all for under $300. You could probably get away with a smaller pressure tank, but that will only save you a few dollars (ie 20 gallon tank here is $159, and 14 gallon is $148)

p.s. here is a fiberglass wrapped tank which may survive better in the weather complete with manifold and pressure switch for just a little bit more https://smile.amazon.com/WELLMATE-PENTAIR-connect-standing-PRESSURE/dp/B01ATPT2QS/

Last edited:
I scrolled through quickly and see no mention of liability insurance. Can you get it and at what cost? What happens if the tenant trips on his shoe laces or sets the property on fire?

That’s almost exactly what we do with our trailer. It’s stored on the other side of our property next to the old mobile home we lived in while I was building the house. We’ve used the hookup for friends when they’ve visited with their rigs, and I use the power to keep the battery conditioned, and the water and septic tank to clean out after a trip. The well also supplies the house and we have never had a building over the pressure tank in the 42 years we’ve lived here. Of course, we don’t have Pennsylvania winters down here in Florida!

I have no specs on the well itself other than the know it went in in 1973 when my parents first got married and is down 600' lol!! No idea what kind of pressure the pump in the well itself actually generates but my plan was to take our portable generator down there and wire up a plug to go into the 220 outlet on the generator and see if water comes out and how fast since it's been a few years since the well was used after my mom stopped renting out the mobile home.
You may want to flush the piping real good then take a sample of the water and have it tested

I have no specs on the well itself other than the know it went in in 1973 when my parents first got married and is down 600' lol!! No idea what kind of pressure the pump in the well itself actually generates but my plan was to take our portable generator down there and wire up a plug to go into the 220 outlet on the generator and see if water comes out and how fast since it's been a few years since the well was used after my mom stopped renting out the mobile home. I can't even imagine what kind of head you need to pump water up 600 feet!
I don't know what submersible pump you have, but use caution when hooking power to it. The submersible pump at our family cottage has a control box on the surface that has the starting capacitor and a relay in it for the pump motor. Connecting directly to the motor could burn it out. It might be worth having a well technician check it out to be sure.

How much are you planning to charge in order to even turn a profit that someone would be willing to pay? As someone mentioned before what about liability insurance? Also what about any permit needs to rent out that property, or better yet drawing up a legal contract so that someone couldn't just claim squatters rights? As something to do for yourself or close family I love the idea of converting that space, but imo there's a lot of risk with a rental.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom