building a screen porch help????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gm991

So

I have a 37' terry used on a lot for the summer NOT moved. I currently have a 22' awning and a "Add a room" screen porch with a deck under it.

What I would like to do is Build a screen porch (three walls) and use the awning as the roof that way I don't need to worry about attaching a roof to the trailer. I would use storm windows as the screens that way when it rains I can close the windows. Use T 111 as siding and, Winter time just roll up the awning and done.

Or is there a way to have a hard roof and not attach it to the trailer??

I know you can buy something like this but, aluminum, they are like $2500?? From what I saw.

I can build one for around 500-700

Has anyone built one of these? Pictures?? or a cheaper version to buy?

thanks

GM991 in NH

Are you in a campground or on private property?  I lease a seasonal site from April 1 - November 1 and when the campground was sold 10 years ago the new owner outlawed the kind of set up you are talking about.  So, beware.  Prior to having to take them down, several folks had exactly what you are describing -- a "hard roofed" porch...I don't have any pictures...don't know the technical name, but the ones I can recall had the plastic/fiberglass stuff my large storage shed at home has in a few spots to let light in...looks like stuff you might see skirting a mobile home.  I hope this helps.

If you use the camper awning the screen room won't be mosquito proof.  If you want to build a structure on your deck with it's own roof you are going to need a thick gasket to seal along the sides where it meets the camper.  Like the one the camper manufacturer uses for the slide out.

Its on private property
I do have an idea for a gasket
I would us the foum that you use to insulate house pipes with.
I could just attach it to the places that go against the trailer.

I was wondering with all those units that had wood screen porchs how did they seal them against the trailers along the roof line so the water woiuldn't run off the trailer roof and down the side into the screen room??

thanks

Your going to need some kind of water tight transition from the roof of the camper to the roof of the scrren room.  The first thing that comes to mind for me is a product called RainKap.  It slides into the channel where the screws are that hold the rubber roof down.  It replaces the plastic cover.

I can't use that. I looked it up and this quote says
"RainKap (RainCap) is NOT used at the awning unless its mounting is below the roofline molding like some Fifth Wheels"

I have an awning on my trailer.
I was going to use it as a roof

gm991 said:
I can't use that. I looked it up and this quote says
"RainKap (RainCap) is NOT used at the awning unless its mounting is below the roofline molding like some Fifth Wheels"

I have an awning on my trailer.
I was going to use it as a roof

I was thinking if you didn't use the awning, you would need some kind of water shedding transition from the camper to the screen room.

If it were me and I know it is not I would build the roof with metal and use flashing at the top where it meets the trailer and extend it over the rood a little way. this would stop a lot of water from coming in but would not stop it all. However, it is a camper and the water would not hurt it and you could still use it in the rain as there wouldn't be enough to splash on you or anything like that. I am sure you can carry something on over the rood of the trailer but the expense would outweigh the benefit.

good luck

Don't know how you are going to do it, but it sure is going to be interesting Parking it back in the same exact spot the following year.    A lot easier said than done.

Shayne said:
Don't know how you are going to do it, but it sure is going to be interesting Parking it back in the same exact spot the following year.    A lot easier said than done.

The trailer doesn't move
I use it in that one spot as a summer camp.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom