Building an Estate Fence 4 Rail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I try to support the local lumber company because i know it so hard for the town locals to compete with big box stores.  But it becomes a real pain in the butt when their lumber is so wet you have to hang in on the fence and let it sit to dry out before you can paint it.  If i had gone to lowes, not only would i have gotten dry wood, but probably with less knots and cracks and i get 10% due to my vet status.  I would rather go get good stuff myself and save than have it delivered and get junk form the local store.  Ill gave the local store a piece of my mind this morning and ill try them again some time, but if that happens again im not going to buy my lumber from them anymore, ill travel the 30 miles to lowes.

I've tried supporting my local small businesses but they just don't get the idea of customer service. I can go to Lowe's and be ignored. And I never let them pick my order and deliver. That's when you get all the junk that the contractors don't/won't take.

The PT at Lowe's would have been the same as your local guy. You'll find it was all processed from the same supplier.  Lowe's would have been pond dried and full of knots, split and some of the bark would still be on some of them. You would still have to pick through the pile at Lowe's and Home Depot is the same.

I have gotten tons of lumber from lowes, i agree with you rene about the quality, the consumer has to pick out what they can.  But their wood is always dry unlike the local supplier. Its about convenience, dry wood can be painted right away, wet wood cannot. And that adds so much time and complication to the project.  Now instead of my new fence looking beautiful it looks like a hack job.

Better let that treated wood dry out at least 6 months, or you will trap the moisture in the wood, and it will bow every direction you can imagine.  And of course the paint will peel as well. 

SpencerPJ said:
Better let that treated wood dry out at least 6 months, or you will trap the moisture in the wood, and it will bow every direction you can imagine.  And of course the paint will peel as well.

If i had left it all unpainted i might be able to get away with not painting it all for some time and i could explain it to the Homeowners Association.  However since many of the 8 footers are painted i cant wait that long because it looks horrible with some done and some not done.  The HOA rule is projects just be done in a certain time frame, so ill have to contact them to try and get an exception in this case.

djw2112 said:
I have gotten tons of lumber from lowes, i agree with you rene about the quality, the consumer has to pick out what they can.  But their wood is always dry unlike the local supplier. Its about convenience, dry wood can be painted right away, wet wood cannot. And that adds so much time and complication to the project.  Now instead of my new fence looking beautiful it looks like a hack job.

You are lucky. Every time I purchased some P/T from Lowe's or Home Depot, I need to let it dry in my garage for a couple of weeks and even longer at times.

Good luck.  I just had some bad results with fence repair and treated wood, painting it too soon, ended up replacing it with cedar wood.  Maybe paint the sides and top, leave the bottom open as a route for the boards to dry out?

I did get approval from the HOA to wait 30 days since the wood was delivered and not picked out by me.  So i might try leaving the edges unpainted maybe they wont notice.

But first 1 full week off as i need to heal up and take care of my current residence.  So not really off just really light duty.

I learned that although there are ways to adjust any deviations when using other clamps, the easiest solution is to use a clamp. The cam mechanism allows you to various components from one to three millimeters, depending on the model. Perhaps the least common type offers pliers. These clamps act in a squeezing motion, pulling elements together. These are often used in manufacturing processes, although they can also be found in the automotive industry. Pliers' tumblers are pretty flexible, but I would suggest an option where special jaws can be supplied that match your components exactly.

I learned that although there are ways to adjust any deviations when using other clamps, the easiest solution is to use a clamp. The cam mechanism allows you to various components from one to three millimeters, depending on the model. Perhaps the least common type offers pliers. These clamps act in a squeezing motion, pulling elements together. These are often used in manufacturing processes, although they can also be found in the automotive industry. Pliers' tumblers are pretty flexible, but I would suggest an option where special jaws can be supplied Kent Fence Company that match your components exactly.
I am looking to replace my old cedar good neighbor fence after some winter ice damage. Anyone have a recommendation on a good Portland area installer? Thanks for any advice that you can provide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom