Bumpa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acmeshoelacerepair

My grandfather was always my idol.
As he said “figure it out.”
He bought a brand new Revcon in 1974. Pulled it out of the dealership and drove it to our warehouse where he screwed a sheet metal screw into the dash. He then bent a paper clip in the shape of an ‘S’ and hung it on the screw,
screwed it right into that perfect dash, that brand new just from the dealership –.
Then he placed the CB transmitter on the paper clip hook.
He was ready to go RVing. Now that transmitter wouldn’t fall off the dash every time he gave it the gas. Brand new Revcon.
Now I am his age. I do the same thing. It’s not about style it’s about purpose. I bought that RV for me, to use it.
Future value?
Let the grandkids figure it out.

i’m glad to be here I have looked at a number of the forums/threads already, good information lots of experience. I plan to lurk for a while. And in time get to know people. I will share more later, just wanted to get up and running.
Currently trying to decide between a Winnebago era 170 a 4wd or a Revel 4WD.DF66474A-DBE2-441E-8A2B-E877B5C450B9.jpeg

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good to have you join us.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, so please ask anything you need to.

Safe and happy travels.

I never did get around to putting a mic clip on this dash, I just used a cup holder for that.

1667220348024.png
I made a living for a while putting all manner of mobile electronics in vehicles from motorcycles to dump trucks, and there are few problems some well placed holes won't solve. A case can me made for keeping a "rare" or "collectible" vehicle stock, but for anything you use there is no reason to "preserve" it. I don't consider installing or modifying a vehicle "damage", rather it's an enhancement that adds to the quality of ownership. One can do it neatly and professionally though, which I think is important for both durability and aesthetics, which do matter for something you will be looking at for what may be years. So I wouldn't be averse to poking a hole in a dash for a mic clip, but I'd probably go with a "nice" screw and a hanger made for the purpose.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

When I was 7 years old (1962), may dad bought a brand new Pontiac Station wagon (1963 model) and a brand new Phoenix travel trailer that year also.

ncfoKPK.jpg

On our very first ride in the new wagon, I was sitting in the back seat in the middle. My two sisters were sitting on either side of me. As we were all enjoying the first ride in the new car, I realized I REALLY liked the feel of those leather seats, or vinyl, or whatever they were. I laid my head on the back of the front seat, near the top (this was before the days of seat belts you know), and I got a real thrill when I put my front teeth on that seat cover. Well. next thing I knew, the "baby" instinct took over and now I was actually sucking the seat and then I started chewing on it. I do remember how wonderful that felt!

Until my mother turned her head, saw me, and gave me a solid bash on the top of MY head, and then they all saw it! I chewed a hole in the top of the front seat, right in the middle!

It was there until the day the car was sold, some 20 years later!

But to this day, I can still feel that comfort I got doing that!

Well, happy camping! Enjoy your new camper and look forward to your next one! I'm with you ... function over beauty every time!

It's not a scanner, it's a motorola UHF HT I modified to be a crossband repeater. Through that I could use any of the mobile radios there remotely. I only needed 6 antennas on the roof (all 3/4" NMO) as some antennas were dual band. 2 more antennas on the rear bumper for HF when I ran that. I made a custom control head that allowed dual priority from any 2 radios, and it has a police siren/PA unit. This picture is pretty dated now, all of that stuff is obsolete commercial stuff but when I put it together it got a lot of looks at any hamfest I drove it to. The usual comment was "gee, what are all the antennas for" and my response was "for all the radios". When I made the truck into an EV the nerd factor was complete.

I share a trait with the OP's grampa, any car I buy won't make it past the dealer temporary tag period before I take a hole saw to it. Forget the new car smell, there is nothing better than the smell than the smoke from a fresh-cut antenna hole. The dash of an RV is a piece of cake, lots of open areas and flat surfaces to perforate.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

It's not a scanner, it's a motorola UHF HT I modified to be a crossband repeater.
Ahh, a closer look shows that (I've got a couple of those, unused at present). I've still got a couple of Motracs and an old GE of that vintage, too, but haven't used them for years. Neat stuff...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom