Burglar Alarms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

What is the most reliable type of after market burglar alarm to install in an RV which has to be parked and unattended?  The choice is an automotive type alarm or an household alarm.  Can motion sensors be added if someone enters through the skylight?  How are false alarms prevented and what about battery drain?

Steve said:
The choice is an automotive type alarm or an household alarm.  Can motion sensors be added if someone enters through the skylight? 

Steve

If somebody really wanted to get into your motor home thru the sky light and was able to do so, let him get anything he wants. He is going to rip you off regardless of your burgler alarms and any other devices.

Perhaps, but the attention an alarm will attract could prevent further damage.? Depends on where the coach is parked, of course, but in a campground, it would surely raise suspicions.? ?Also if an alarm has a panic button, it could be used in the event of an intruder if one is in the coach

I will follow this thread with great interest.

I know no framily member has experienced a problem with theft so far, but I don't want to be the first one.  I still worry with all the boondocking we plan to do and all the newbieness we have on fulltiming, that we will do something stupid and get ripped off.

I also like Steve's idea of a panic button.  That would be a good backup to go along with my Browning Hi-Power.  ;D

What really worries me now is that I have learned that the full basements on motorhomes all use the same key.  Anyone who has a MH can open my basement.

What can I do about that?  I wonder what a locksmith would charge to change all those keylocks to something unique?

Steve said:
Perhaps, but the attention an alarm will attract could prevent further damage.  Depends on where the coach is parked, of course, but in a campground, it would surely raise suspicions.  Also if an alarm has a panic button, it could be used in the event of an intruder if one is in the coach

Steve,

If the burglar alarm attracts no more attention than all those on cars in a parking lot then it's a waste of time and money. People are so used to them going off they no longer even look in the direction of the alarm. The best deterring sound is that of a pump action shotgun loading a shell. Burglars don't like hearing that at all!!! ;)

Smoky said:
What really worries me now is that I have learned that the full basements on motorhomes all use the same key. Anyone who has a MH can open my basement.

It's not quite that bad, Smoky. There are probably a half dozen or so different keys in use across all makes and models.

Smoky said:
I will follow this thread with great interest.

What can I do about that?  I wonder what a locksmith would charge to change all those keylocks to something unique?

Smoky,

Not all motor home basements have the same key but all travel trailers do. You can buy after market locks if you wish. We have been full timing for 8 1/2 years and have yet to experience a problem. Most people in RVing are honest and wouldn't think twice about opening your bays. There will always be that one or two individual who will but they are rare. Now that I've said all that I'll probably run into that one individual. :)

As far as boondocking is concerned, pick your spot with an eye on the area. Are other RVers there? If so it should be relatively safe. If not, they may show up after you stop. All of us like at least another rig around at night. :) We have used several Walmarts. My biggest concern there is being hit by an out of control shopping cart.

Motorhomes that are stored are the targets of thieves. We have never heard of a motorhome in use being broke into. We often see chairs, grilles and things like that left outside the MH and nobody botheres them.  Locks will only keep honest people honest.  Doesn't matter what kind of lock you put on it can be picked. As for burglar Alarms they would be almost useless and IMHO are not necessary.  If anyone thinks a noisey burgular alarm would raise somebodys attention just stop and think how many times you have heard a car alarm going off in a parking lot.  DID YOU INVESTIGATE??  Most likely it was dismissed as another noisey car alarm.  What difference would it make on a motorhome.

IMHO things like tire pressure monitors, foam fire extinguishers, toad brakes, internet satelllite dishes, engine monitors, and other things to make RVing more safe and enjoyable rate a higher position on the want or must have list than a burglar alarm. ;D ;D

Burglar Alarms in a recreational vehicle would be a waste of money especially for a fulltimer.

Keys that fit bays on other rigs just isn't anything new.  When I was a teenager I had a 51 Ford and a friend had a similar ford, maybe different year, but my keys for my ford fit his car and visa versa, even the ignition key.  We discoverd this when his keys got locked in the car and my key opened his door.  Not many locks or keys that are completely unique.

Steve said:
What is the most reliable type of after market burglar alarm to install in an RV which has to be parked and unattended?  The choice is an automotive type alarm or an household alarm.  Can motion sensors be added if someone enters through the skylight?  How are false alarms prevented and what about battery drain?

Battery drain depends on it's mode... Standby, next to zero, "ARMED" slightly above zero (these things can often run off a retangular 9v battery after all) Alarmed, (Making nosie) Much, but hopefully the don't do that often.

The problem I have with so many burglar alarms is they are far too common, and false triggures are equally common. so they often get ignored... Insted of STOP THEIF... It's "Oh why doesn't that idiot turn off or Reset his alarm"

So, how to fix this... Well a very loud alarm INSIDE the motor home (Won't bother the neighbors so much but the theif will be deafened by the alarm)    might work... I personally favor a few other nasty tricks

(Oh, by the way... What is the one sound a theif fears most... Alarms (no) Sirens approaching (no) "Call the Cops" (no)

The sound of a Shotgun being made ready for action (Shhha-Ssshuunnk) Cause he knows what comes next and he knows what conmes after that (BOOM and the shound of him screaming)

Just a word of caution about guns: I keep one in my motorhome too, but would use it only if my life or someone elses was threatened. The old saw about "Shoot them and then make sure you drag the body inside" doesn't hold up in court. In most if not all states, shooting a person merely to protect property will land YOU in jail for a very, very long time. You can only use as much force as is necesary to meet the danger, and a bullet is way overkill (no pun intended) to prevent someone from walking off with your stereo.? The sound of a pump shotgun being racked is very intimidating, and you don't even have to chamber a shell for it to be effective. I speak from experience and no, I wasn't the 'perp'; I was a reserve police officer. ;D

Karl,

Unfortunately the law has changed in Florida. Thanks to the Bush family wisdom (NOT) one now may shoot another if they feel their life is in danger. Proving it wasn't is now the responsibility of the victim.

I agree one must not indiscriminately use a gun on another. The sound of that pump action will take care of many of the attempted burlaries/assaults especially if the perpetrator doesn't have a visual on the owner.

Jim,

Gee, that's kind of difficult. How does a dead man testify on his own behalf? Fearing for ones' life is a valid reason and always has been - when the danger is imminent. That still rules out a battered housewife (or husband) from shooting a spouse in their sleep. But some do get away with it anyway.

Jim Dick said:
Karl,

Unfortunately the law has changed in Florida. Thanks to the Bush family wisdom (NOT) one now may shoot another if they feel their life is in danger. Proving it wasn't is now the responsibility of the victim.

I agree one must not indiscriminately use a gun on another. The sound of that pump action will take care of many of the attempted burlaries/assaults especially if the perpetrator doesn't have a visual on the owner.

Best dadgummed thing the state legislature has done this session. Now watch the crime rate drop like a rock.

Look at Australia. The crime rate has risen like the thermometer on an August day in Death Valley since all the good citizens turned in their guns.

Best dadgummed thing the state legislature has done this session. Now watch the crime rate drop like a rock.

Look at Australia. The crime rate has risen like the thermometer on an August day in Death Valley since all the good citizens turned in their guns.
? As is the case in countries in which guns ownership is prohibited: "when guns are outlawed only outlaws have guns" . :(

BruceinFL said:
Jim Dick said:
Karl,

The problem is the shooter doesn't have to prove they were threatened. Now you can walk up to anybody, if there are no witnesses, and shoot them. I certainly don't think all guns should be turned in but I think this new legislation is going to open up a big can of worms.

kkolbus said:
Just a word of caution about guns: I keep one in my motorhome too, but would use it only if my life or someone elses was threatened. The old saw about "Shoot them and then make sure you drag the body inside" doesn't hold up in court. In most if not all states, shooting a person merely to protect property will land YOU in jail for a very, very long time. You can only use as much force as is necesary to meet the danger, and a bullet is way overkill (no pun intended) to prevent someone from walking off with your stereo.  The sound of a pump shotgun being racked is very intimidating, and you don't even have to chamber a shell for it to be effective. I speak from experience and no, I wasn't the 'perp'; I was a reserve police officer. ;D

Oh, I thought I was being specific enough... I did not say a gun, I said THE SOUND of a gun... personally... I'd use a digital recorder to record one of my LEO friends racking his shotgun.... Not that I would not have an assortemnt of guns in the MH,,, I mean, I'll have a Grease (lubrication type) Gun, an AIR (inflation/dust off type) Gun, a Solder gun, a Heat gun a.... Well you get the idea, there are a number of tools called "Guns" for one reason or another.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom