Butyl tape or Eternabond for window?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jey

I?ve been reading different opinions on what to use to seal my window I?m replacing

Most things I?ve read say butyl tape while others are saying use the eternabond stuff they use for roofs?

I?m only seeing eternabond in 4? wide do people just cut this down?

Would I finish around the window with geocel proflex rv?

Jey said:
Most things I?ve read say butyl tape while others are saying use the eternabond stuff they use for roofs?

I wouldn't use Eternabond Tape. It would give it a very sloppy looking installation. Use the butyl tape for windows. It comes in rolls about 1" wide. Just apply it to the backside of the window flange and install it.  When tightening the screws alternate slowly squeezing out the excess putty. Then in a few days, go back and re-tighten. When done, just use a sharp knife and remove the excess putty.

Thanks!

Do I apply the proflex rv after I get all the excess butyl off?

If you do a proper job with the butyl tape you won't need to put the proflex atound the frame. But it won't hurt to do it .

On a related question, I'm getting close to installing two windows in the trailer I'm building. The inner trim rings have screw holes used to attach the trim ring to the outer window.  The outer windows do not have matching holes for the inner trim ring to attach too.  I assume one uses self tapping screws to connect the two. When the trim ring is overlaid on the window, the screw holes seem to line up with a grove in the outer window frame.  Does this assembly procedure seem to be correct?

The butyl tape goes between the window frame and the sidewall and should be hidden. Maybe a little bit squeezes out, but not much. Then you apply a thin bead of a sealer around the top and side edges (not the bottom) to help keep water from getting behind the window frame.

Jey said:
Thanks!

You use proflex if your not removing the window.

Jey said:
Thanks!

You 'shouldn't' have to, but if I were you, I would.  I also would go around anything else that might leak (considering your time invested in this project)

Lowell said:
On a related question, I'm getting close to installing two windows in the trailer I'm building. The inner trim rings have screw holes used to attach the trim ring to the outer window.  The outer windows do not have matching holes for the inner trim ring to attach too.  I assume one uses self tapping screws to connect the two. When the trim ring is overlaid on the window, the screw holes seem to line up with a grove in the outer window frame.  Does this assembly procedure seem to be correct?

I believe the groove acts like a hole that the screws will thread into.  That way it's universal as to the alignment of the holes in the inner flange.

wackymac said:
I believe the groove acts like a hole that the screws will thread into.  That way it's universal as to the alignment of the holes in the inner flange.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Similar to installing windows in a house.  Butyl putty tape on the flange where is fits against the side wall.  Tighten in place.  Once its all screwed down clean up the squeeze out.  Day or two later, preferably warm days tighten the screws, clean the putty squeeze out.  Then apply a thin bead of sealant around the window LEAVING THE BOTTOM UNSEALED.  If moisture gets in you need to leave a way for it to get out.

Back
Top Bottom