Buyers Question on Cummins engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jljeeper

I'm looking at a 1994 Diesel Pusher with 47K miles on it. I looked under the coach and see some, well, quite a bit of rust on the springs and frame. Also the oil pan is pretty rusty and the paint is flaking off. The coach has reportedly sat for about 5 years. It has been started regularly and starts right up fine. Do I need to be concerned with the rusty oil pan? Is this normal? I heard sitting is bad. How bad can it be?

Thanks
Jon

Sitting is bad for vehicles and people - exercise is good cause it keeps things in shape.  In a vehicle, anything flexible tends to dry out or get flat spots from sitting. Tires and the many seals & gaskets that are part of hydraulic, water & oil systems are examples.  Drive belys and water hoses are another.

If it has been sitting five years, it needs new tires. No "maybe" about it, regardless of how good they look. Tires much over five years old are marginal if used regularly; if they just sat they are goners!

I wouldn't worry about the rust. Plan on buying other stuff, tho.

The rust, especially on the pan, is no big deal. It is the natual result of changes in tempeture, and humidity. The pan is one of the first places to get rusty, since all that oil insde it is just a big heat sink. Also it is an indication that the vehicle hasn't been used much.

Chet18013

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom