Buying 1st fifth wheel, advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmcdeb

My wife and I are ready to buy  our first fifth wheel. I have done a fair amount of shopping and seem to like the Keystone Cougar 290EFS. Can we get any comments (positive or negative). Thanks

I have never owned a Cougar but they are popular - I see a lot of them. Keystone builds several respected models, so I would expect the Cougar to be decent as well.  Hopefully there are multiple Cougar owners around here who can give you feedback.

We bought a new Cougar 5W in 2004 and have been very happy with it.  We live in the Denver area and pull it down to Mustang Island (across from Corpus Christi) and live in it Jan.,Feb., an March.  It tows well and has good craftsmanship for a trailer in this price range.  We'd buy another one!

The only negative things I've read about Cougars: (1) the earlier models had problems with the nose going concave when going down the highway, especially into a head wind; (2) there was some talk about a some models developing a bump in the floor opposite the large slide.  I know the first problem was fixed a long time ago and I've never heard more about the second one.

We discovered that we could buy our new Cougar from a small-town dealership in Iowa for $2,000 less than from dealers in the three larger metropolitan areas we shopped at.
Hope this helps,
Herm

My RV Dealer told me they seem to keep a high trade in value in the nada book. He did not know why but they do.
Shane

digger490 said:
My RV Dealer told me they seem to keep a high trade in value in the nada book. He did not know why but they do.
Shane

Quality possibly and maybe value for the money? - Keystone does make some very good products (but a 'bad apple' can and does slip thru on ocassion). I have been extremely happy with my Everest. Don't see many Everests during our travels, but do see a lot of Cougars and Montanas, and based on just the numbers I see, I would tend to think that since they seem to be so popular, they must have something good going for them.

Larry

digger490 said:
Shane

Are you saying you really believe a dealer ??? ??? ???  Most dealers will tell you anything they think you need to hear to close a sale.  Best advise Never Never take what a dealer or salesman as gospel without checking it out elswhere first. :eek:

All the more reason for him to blow smoke.  If he opened his mouth and said Good Morning, it would 6 lies coming from his mouth.  JMHO  It's a very decent coach  but don't buy it planning on resale value.  You'll go broke that way in a hurry/

Keystone has an owners forum that you could log into and read/ask more info about Cougars (or any Ketsone RV) than you could probably find anywhere else.  Not sure of the link URL, but just search under "Keystone Owner Forum" or something like that.

Gary

We own a Montanna 2007 3075 and cannot say enough nice things about the rig. It is made by Keystone. We are also member of their website Montanna Owners Association.
web site:    www.montannaowners.com

Jim,

Brand buying is not the total answer, be it Everest, Cougar, Carriage or whoever,  If you want new, go to an RV show many models you will be surprised are made by the same manufacturer and there are good show deals.

Go to a consgnment lot, there you will see many bargains - there are plenty of them.

Don't forget the wife's angle - the kitchen and the layout of the bedroom.  Once you've got it, you're stuck with it.

There is no good reason why you should not go to a dealer. Used or new.  If you don't like the spokesperson, tell him to take a hike.  Look at used, there are thousands and you can save thousands.  then you can put more money into the tow vehicle.  But do one important thing - whatever you buy - take it for a test tow.  New or used.  Have someone follow to see if it is towing straight or even leaning suspiciously.  Go for it, mate!

Paul D

CHECK OUT Sunnybrook's Brookside Line

Before you make your final decision check out the new "Brookside" series from Sunnybrook. In the 9 plus year we have been RVing, we purchased 3 new fifth wheel trailers. The first two were Jayco, the last was a Sunnybrook Brookside. I feel the value of this Brookside is outstanding. If this trailer was available in 1998 when we purchased our first new fifth wheel, all three would have been Sunnybrook and we would have saved a lot of money.

Attachments

• 2006 Sunnybrook Brookside 002 (Small).jpg
    2006 Sunnybrook Brookside 002 (Small).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 2006 Sunnybrook Brookside 003 (Small).jpg
    2006 Sunnybrook Brookside 003 (Small).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2006 Sunnybrook Brookside 004 (Small).jpg
    2006 Sunnybrook Brookside 004 (Small).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom