Buying from an auction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukenick1

My hubby wants to try to find a travel trailer at an auction. Scares me so much though. They tell you the damage. Some say undercarriage some say hail damage. Would you ever consider one if the price was right? 

Have you ever owned a TT?  We bought our first TT last year and as newbies we would never have considered buying a used TT at an auction.

I'm sure much wiser RV Forum Members will chime in.

My son-in-law and daughter bought their first trailer at auction, and it was a good trailer. They kept it 2 years and traded it and got more than they paid for it. If it's an insurance auction, that might be another story. Think I'd pass on that type.

Are you a gambler ?

If yes, then go for it.  If not then don't.

I don't gamble, so I wouldn't. especially since I know all the things that can go or be wrong, that are hidden.

Jack L

Auction purchases are where is, as is. Unless you are very familiar with auctions and rv's,  know the real market value of what you are looking at and are willing to take a risk it is not a good idea.
Auctions can be fun, I enjoy watching people bid. Some come in with no idea of what they are bidding on and get burnt. Others just have to have it regardless of cost. Some have to 'win', they can't stand the thought of being beat out, of losing. I watched two dirt bikes go for over $200 each, both were beat, missing parts and one had frame damage. Young guys with too much money and no common sense. A fully dressed Yamaha tourer, complete but in need of some tlc didn't fetch $500.

The only auctions I know of that will tell you the damage in advance would be an Insurance salvage auction.

If this is the case just be aware.  Vehicles only get to these sales when the cost to repair approaches or exceeds 70% of the market value.  IF the damage is only cosmetic and you can live with it...  You may get a good deal.  IF it has caused any water damage,  I would Walk away.  Also be aware the Title will show as a Salvaged vehicle and the future value will be greatly decreased.  Also you may not be able to insure it. (If that is a priority for you)

Be sure to walk into and all around any unit you may bid on or buy.  check for soft spots in the floor, ceiling (especially any outside corners, and around roof penetrations) and walls.  Water damage is very hard and expensive to fix.

Auctions can be very good places to buy a bargain,  They can also be a very bad place to buy anything.

Best of luck and keep up your investigating before you bid! 

If you guys are willing to do some of the repairs by yourself,  then you can get a better RV for a lot less than you'd pay at a dealer..

Or you can wait till the dealer buys it, cleans it up A bit .... and just pay retail.

I bought my motorhome on EBay site unseen, ....I wasn't scared about it, but I know I can fix anything that is broken on it.

Great rig at a great price, And I still love it

TonyDtorch said:
I bought my motorhome on EBay site unseen, ....I wasn't scared about it, but I know I can fix anything that is broken on it.

Tony, I think you're arrangement is the exception to the rule. I envy those skills to be able to do that.  :)

For the OP, first time buyer, I wouldn't recommend it.

As someone mentioned, insurance auctions would probably be the most factual source of existing problems, however they will not go to lengths for a complete assessment. They will only report the problem(s) that got the unit there in the first place.

Any one that has ever owned an old house is probably skilled enough to fix anything on the house side.

And anyone that grew up with family hand-me-down cars can fix most anything in the drivetrain side....as long as it isn't some monster diesel truck running gear.

They best auctions are the bank repo auctions, those vehicles don't need as much repairs as the insurance/damage claim vehicles.

The problem with the auction staff "telling you the damage" is that they probably have no idea what damage is really there.  There are a fair amount of RV owners who don't know what to look for, let alone people who have never camped a day in their lives.  An auction purchase would be a complete gamble, it might be fine and it might be a disaster with internal moisture or structural damage that is not visible on a 2-minute exterior walkaround.  It kinda depends on what "price is right" means to you.  Whatever amount you spend, be prepared to spend even more.

My experience says do not try it until you are very, very familiar on what to look for, have the tools, and handy.  I purchased one that was lived in and was not all that old.  Looked like only cosmetic issues.  Ran great.  When I started remodeling, total rehab and many hours of lost time.  Wish now I would have just purchased a good used one from an individual or dealer.  From what I have read, all can have a lot of hidden damage.

If there's damage you can see, there's likely damage you can't see too.  Same applies for rust.  Unless you are very skilled at repairing potential structural problems (in which case you wouldn't be seeking advice here) don't buy at auction.  Find a good used unit, private or retail, and buy that instead.  Preferably have a seasoned RV owner go with you when you shop....buy them dinner for their trouble, money well spent.

Gregg said:
.  Wish now I would have just purchased a good used one from an individual or dealer.  From what I have read, all can have a lot of hidden damage.

What is the warranty from an individual seller ?
You could be in the same boat, but really mad because you paid a lot more.

I would look real hard at the interior walls and ceiling, if any thing is stained.
Then it's over.

Rule #1.  A good RV has a good roof.

Back
Top Bottom