Buying items for the less fortunate we find on the road.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheBar said:
My wife and I were in OKC earlier this week. Having lived there for 25 years I noticed all the panhandlers were gone. They got so aggressive OKC passed an ordinance banning them from the medians. 90% were not from OK. A local charity tried to help them with free rides, meals, clothing, and a place to stay. Out of the hundreds of panhandlers they got less than 10 responses. These professionals hurt the people who are truly in need. So never give them cash.

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/cover-story-aid-groups-lawmakers-and-leaders-work-to-define-panhandling-while-protecting-some-of-our-citys-most-in-need-residents/Content?oid=2967029

There are signs in Aberdeen WA saying not to give money to panhandlers as it will be spent on drugs and alcohol. Suggests donations to local shelters instead.

Oldgator73 said:
I have a bit of a problem with folks that display signs indicating they are disabled vets and need money. I am a disabled vet and our son is a 100% disabled Iraq war vet. I know there is help for these vets. Maybe I should start carrying VA business cards to hand out. As for the others asking for help, I don?t know what to think. In the larger cities you could go broke ?helping?. Here in Dover there are people standing at busy intersections working in groups. It seems like a business. But do you not help because you have a feeling and then there?s that one person that really needs it, and you didn?t help.
To your point while still working at a VA Medical Center, now retired, I was speaking with a vet on this very subject.  What he said seemed to agree with your point, he  said "most vets tend not to ask for help, in general but particularly standing on a corner with a sign."  I have suspected some of these people are playing on peoples sympathies to vets.

Edit:  Fixed close quote tag.

Utclmjmpr said:
I sum it up this way,,,I won't subsidize your life stile.>>>Dan

Exactly. Obviously not all but for the majority life style is usually the problem. They like having no ties and no responsibilities. Their choice.

Utclmjmpr said:
I sum it up this way,,,I won't subsidize your life stile.>>>Dan

Hopefully the next generation will not take that attitude when they ask themselves why they have to pay those significant FICA taxes to support a bunch of old guys living the good life in their RV's.  And before we all say we paid for those benefits, we should think about all those politicians, we voted for, that weren't the greatest fiduciaries of our money. 

Raising the caution flag folks. The OP started this topic by mentioning what they do for the less fortunate. Let's get back on topic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom