Bypass Salt Lake City on US 189 and US 40?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlGriefer

Has anyone bypassed Salt Lake City, UT, between I-15 and I-80 using US 189 and US 40?  It looks like it would cut out a whole lot of traffic, but it's not shown as a truck route in Rand McNally and I'm a bit concerned about low bridges, especially in Provo.

Al Griefer

AlGriefer said:
Has anyone bypassed Salt Lake City, UT, between I-15 and I-80 using US 189 and US 40?  It looks like it would cut out a whole lot of traffic, but it's not shown as a truck route in Rand McNally and I'm a bit concerned about low bridges, especially in Provo.

Al,

189 through Provo Canyon is a nice scenic drive but it's not a great truck route.  AND if you stay in Salt Lake City, we can have a mini-rally.  :)  Once in a while they have a rock slide and have to close the road for brief periods but, you should have no problem with the motorhome.

Phil

Al,  do you have a "Trucker's Motor Atlas"?  That will show low underpasses, narrow bridges and truck road restrictions.  I've been on that route, but with a truck camper so didn't think about the stuff I worry about now.  :-\  It's a beautiful drive, but if recall it was slow.

Marsha~

Phil said:
... 189 through Provo Canyon is a nice scenic drive but it's not a great truck route.  AND if you stay in Salt Lake City, we can have a mini-rally.  :)  Once in a while they have a rock slide and have to close the road for brief periods but, you should have no problem with the motorhome.

Thanks, Phil!  I would, but this trip will probably be a rush one.  Perhaps on the way back.  I would be hitting Provo area around rush hour and would rath take a slow, scenic drive rather than get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic even if it was faster.

Al

Marsha/CA said:
Al,  do you have a "Trucker's Motor Atlas"?  That will show low underpasses, narrow bridges and truck road restrictions.  I've been on that route, but with a truck camper so didn't think about the stuff I worry about now.   :-\  It's a beautiful drive, but if recall it was slow.

Thanks, Marsha!  I have one, but don't always trust it on the less used highways.  I think generally, the US highways all have sufficient clearances, but there are always exceptions and 189 wasn't listed in it as a "designated route."

Al

AlGriefer said:
Thanks, Phil!  I would, but this trip will probably be a rush one.  Perhaps on the way back.  I would be hitting Provo area around rush hour and would rath take a slow, scenic drive rather than get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic even if it was faster.

Rush?  What's Rush? ;D

If you are in a hurry to go East on I-80, the Provo Canyon cut off is a good choice.  You also miss the climb over Parley's summit.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom