Bypassing L.A.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Does anybody have a good bypass around L.A. going across I-10 from Arizona to get onto northbound I-5 for the Northwest?  Specifically, Mesa to Eugene. 

Also, if you do the I-215 to US395 to CA58, how do you get through Bakersfield and onto I-5?  I think in the past I've just followed the trucks straight through town and straight west out Stockdale Hwy to exit 252..  Street Atlas does Bakersfield from CA58 to some crosstown diagonal street to CA99 and then an east-west street called Ledro. 

I go through withdrawal when I'm not on an interstate. 

--pat

Pat said:
Does anybody have a good bypass around L.A. going across I-10 from Arizona to get onto northbound I-5 for the Northwest?  Specifically, Mesa to Eugene. 

Mesa to Surprise then up to Las Vegas then I-15 to I-84 then Portland and down to Eugene.  Bypass the whole state of California.  :)

Phil

Hello Pat:

Pat said:
Does anybody have a good bypass around L.A. going across I-10 from Arizona to get onto northbound I-5 for the Northwest?? Specifically, Mesa to Eugene.?

Also, if you do the I-215 to US395 to CA58, how do you get through Bakersfield and onto I-5?? I think in the past I've just followed the trucks straight through town and straight west out Stockdale Hwy to exit 252..? Street Atlas does Bakersfield from CA58 to some crosstown diagonal street to CA99 and then an east-west street called Ledro.?

I go from NCal to AZ and return a lot so have mapped this out pretty well for my desires to avoid LA freeways. When coming from AZ, I take the 30 north just before I10 gets to I215. That bypasses the I10/I215 mess. 30 will dump into I215, and the I215 will dump into I15. I then follow I15 to Cajon Junction and pick up 138 West. That takes you to I14 through Palmdale. To avoid the traffic in Palmdale, you can take the Pearl Blossom highway turning off of 138 at the Four Points intersection (notice the intersection on your map). However, I just relax as the ride through town isn't that bad. Then -- follow I14 north through Lancaster (lots of shopping centers here just off the freeway for parking and such) to pick up 138 West again. That takes you all the way to I5 at Gorman, CA. Gorman is just at the top of the Grapevine and there is a rest stop there with dump station.

There is 2 lane on 138, but it is not bad at all. You go over a little mini mountain shortly after you pick up 138 off of I15 but there are not curves and it is an easy one for a big rig. You "could" stay on I14 to Mojave where you would pick up CA58. That keeps ?you on freeway - but it's longer, you have to do the mountain pass, and have to look at all the junk yards in Bakersfield. :'(

If you do the I-215 to US395 to CA58, CA58 goes all the way to I5. You do a little dogleg at I99. Once you get on I99 North, you only go a short way -- so be careful or you will miss the CA58 West Exit. I have never noticed the names of the streets you mention on this route because the highway number signs are posted very well. Anyway, 58 will the take you straight West to I5. Some prefer to stay on 99 to CA46. My brother prefers this route and we argue all the time over which is best. :mad: There are a lot of truck stops, restaurants and such at the 58/I5 intersection that I like as a stopping spot. However -- the route to Gorman above bypasses all of this, so is much preferred by me.

Phil said:
Pat said:
Does anybody have a good bypass around L.A. going across I-10 from Arizona to get onto northbound I-5 for the Northwest?? Specifically, Mesa to Eugene.?

Mesa to Surprise then up to Las Vegas then I-15 to I-84 then Portland and down to Eugene.? Bypass the whole state of California.? :)

Phil

Excellent suggestion Phil.

Phil/Ron

You both had me fooled into thinking you were nice guys  :)  Don't use LA to judge all of California. Oops, Carl is going get on my case now  :)

Phil said:
Mesa to Surprise then up to Las Vegas then I-15 to I-84 then Portland and down to Eugene.? Bypass the whole state of California.? :)

Hey Phil -- what have you got against pot holes, heavy traffic, and snipers? I've forwarded your remarks to the Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce - and to Arnold in Sacramento. Am sure you will be hearing from Buck Owens and a few junk yard owners. :D

LOL Bob. Arnold will have something to say to Phil.

Personally, I prefer I-10 to I-215. ?The I-215 north to US-395 to Kramer Junction. ?Then CA-58 west. ?CA-58 now bypasses Mojave - freeway loop around town - and then goes over the Tehachapi pass. ?CA-58 is freeway from east of Mojave all the way to US-99 in Bakersfield. ?When you head north on US-99 you have the choices Bob points out: either take the CA-58 continuation a short distance north of the place you hit US-99 or go quite a bit farther north to the CA-46 turn-off and then head west to I-5. ?I like the latter route as the CA-58 route west from US-99 goes through quite a bit of heavy traffic/shopping area while the CA-46 route has much more open country.

Phil:  I forgot to mention that up through Nevada is not an option.  I HATE that route.

--pat

Bob:  I'll check your route on Street Atlas.  Sounds interesting.  Thanks for the reminder that CA58 goes to I-5.  I'll take a new look at that.  Often Street Atlas doesn't show highway numbers; although, they're getting a little better.

--pat

Tom:  I rather enjoy driving up I-5.  Well, except last time when we had high winds and hundreds of tumbleweeds ripping through traffic.  The wind kept up all the way into Oregon the next day.  When I turn from CA58 onto I-5, which goes up to my last 35 miles of the trip, I just settle in and enjoy.  Even in the valley CA is pretty enough. 

Going through LV, up I-15, across I-84, and down is a bit drastic, isn't it?  How much is gas along CA I-5 these days?  I must remember to stop at that station in AZ before the state line.  It's almost laughable to see the price shoot up in less than a mile.  Is that last AZ I-10 station a Flying J?

--pat

Pat said:
Tom: .....
Going through LV, up I-15, across I-84, and down is a bit drastic, isn't it?

Pat,  I think you have me confused with Phil. In any event, he was just jerking your chain when he suggested going that route and bypassing CA.

Tom:  No, I was defending CA drivers with you.  I like traffic that moves.

--pat

Tom said:
Pat said:
Tom: .....
Going through LV, up I-15, across I-84, and down is a bit drastic, isn't it?

Pat,? I think you have me confused with Phil. In any event, he was just jerking your chain when he suggested going that route and bypassing CA.

Naw I don't think Phil was jerking any chain.  Avoiding Ca sounds like a good plan. ;D ;D

Pat.

The last Fuel Stop in I-10 before crossing over into Ca is a flying J.  If you take Phils route you will probably save money by avoiding Ca fuel prices. ;D

Pat: The Ehrenburg FlyingJ is terminally crowded! Try the truckstop on N side of I-10 that is a bit east of there (3-10 miles). I have never had to wait to fuel up.

rh:  That's probably the truck stop with the ridiculously low gas price that weighed on my mind all the way through the next few fuel stops.  I'll watch for it. 

--pat

Tom:  Since you're the resident authority on the area, could you advise what the I-10 to I-210 to I-5 route around town is like usually?  Barring accidents, does traffic usually flow ok on the 210?  Or is it normally 90 miles of stop and go?  I'm willing to do the less interesting 395 bypass if I'm likely to lose hours sitting on the 210. 

--pat

Back
Top Bottom