CA to FL on I 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your going through Texas you must stop at a Buckee's

On I-10, the original Buc-ees (not THE original), is in Luling, at MM 632. You'll start seeing the signs (billboards) long before you get there though. This one has been expanded twice, and is still pretty crowded most of the time. There are a couple as you go through Houston (one on either side). I've not been to those though. But yeah, stop in, just to say you have. And yes, the bathrooms really are as clean as people say. They are constantly cleaned 24 hours a day.

We drove from Lake Charles LA to Houston last Saturday at the end of a long trip. Some construction in LA, not too bad. Westbound construction zones in Texas are a nightmare, white knuckles when passed by trucks. I don't know how it is eastbound. You might try old Hwy. 90, I am staying off I-10 east of Houston.

We drove from Lake Charles LA to Houston last Saturday at the end of a long trip. Some construction in LA, not too bad. Westbound construction zones in Texas are a nightmare, white knuckles when passed by trucks. I don't know how it is eastbound. You might try old Hwy. 90, I am staying off I-10 east of Houston.
US-90 is often a better run than I-10 between Houston and Beaumont.

Also, US-190 is not the worst route to get through Texas and Louisiana, if you're not in a big hurry. Just sayin'.

I suggest planning to be near or through San Antonio on Saturday night, and get up bright and early Sunday morning to get through Houston and near Baton Rouge before the day is over.
There used to be a couple of nice campgrounds along the river near New Braunfels. From there, Lafayette or Baton Rouge can be made in a day.

I can second that about US 190 not being a bad way to get across Texas and Louisiana, and that is not just because I can see US 190 from the end of my driveway in Louisiana. That is if you don't mind doing about 1100 miles worth of driving to cover 700 miles worth of distance thanks to the sawtooth zigzag path US190 takes across Texas. (there are places you can shave 30-40 miles off the US190 route crossing Texas by taking other highways to bridge from 190 to 190 bypassing part of the the sawtooth route, much like taking I-12 from I-10 to I-10 in eastern Louisiana to bypass where I-10 dips down to New Orleans.

A few years ago I was out in west Texas where the western terminus of US190 meets I-10 near the town of Iraan, and decided for once in my life I am going to drive the entire extent of US190 across Texas. I made it about half way across Texas before giving up and taking a more direct path home, eventually meeting up with US 190 for the last 100 miles of the drive.

But nobody notices because they're so overjoyed to be out of Kalifornia. I was born in Los Angeles, but that was back when it was still the USA.

But yes, I-10 stretches about 880 miles across Texas. Once you leave El Paso, the next large city is San Antonio.....560 miles. Speed limit is 80 MPH from Tornillo to Kerrville, so you'll have traffic flying past you. There are plenty of fuel stops along the way, so no worries there. Texas is a magnificent state....enjoy!!
No everyone was overjoyed for being out of California. 1000 times better than Texas.

US-90 is often a better run than I-10 between Houston and Beaumont.

Also, US-190 is not the worst route to get through Texas and Louisiana, if you're not in a big hurry. Just sayin'.

I suggest planning to be near or through San Antonio on Saturday night, and get up bright and early Sunday morning to get through Houston and near Baton Rouge before the day is over.
There used to be a couple of nice campgrounds along the river near New Braunfels. From there, Lafayette or Baton Rouge can be made in a day.
Good tip about old 90 to Beaumont. Thanks,

One of the best sounds ever, even if I never really dreamed about living in California. (I was more of an early Motown, Kingston Trio, and folk music person.) Guess I have to get my CDs out for my drive tomorrow!

Last edited:
I stoped in to a little market when I crossed into Texas. It was my first time in the State and I was driving a Drive-a-way car from New Orleans to Tacoma. I 10-I-5 I needed something cool to drink. When paying i asked the clerk how long was the drive across Texas. She replied, " Honey, it's going to take you all day and all night".

An interesting state park along I-10 in west Texas is Balmorhea. There is a spring there that flows into a sort of big swimming pool that has sides a long time ago by the CCC, but a natural 25' deep bottom. You can swim in it or even scuba dive! Flow is 15 millions gallons per day, and the excess flows out into a wetland exhibit with tiny rare fish. Call to make sure camping section has reopened.

Back
Top Bottom