Cabinet storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RREngr

Good morning.  I have put shelf liner in cabinets and now plan to start putting things away.  I haven't found any previous posts with suggestions on how to avoid shifting and/or breakage.  I bought Corell dishes, put squares of the liner sheets between them.  Do you stack cups the same way or not?  Also, would love to hear any clever storage ideas anyone has come up with.  Do most of you use the plastic bins in you underneath storage areas?  I thought they would be good to keep smaller items together.  It will probably take a few trips before we figure out the best place for everything.  Any advise is always appreciated.  Thanks, Kay

RREngr said:
Good morning. I have put shelf liner in cabinets and now plan to start putting things away. I haven't found any previous posts with suggestions on how to avoid shifting and/or breakage. I bought Corell dishes, put squares of the liner sheets between them. Do you stack cups the same way or not? Also, would love to hear any clever storage ideas anyone has come up with. Do most of you use the plastic bins in you underneath storage areas? I thought they would be good to keep smaller items together. It will probably take a few trips before we figure out the best place for everything. Any advise is always appreciated. Thanks, Kay

Kay:

Sue uses a lot of liner material for dishes, cup hooks(with clips) for cups, a hanging rack for goblets,  and a lot of Tupperware to organize her kitchen.

We have six Kitchenmaid tubs in the basement along the center axis of the motorhome with out-of-season clothes, decorations  ???, and other "stuff" that has not been regulated to storage yet. Make sure you number and inventory them so retrieval is easy.

Most houseware stores carry rubber matting that can be used on shelves or between pots and pans to avoid shifting and rattling. It is inexpensive.

Woody

We ahve Joey bed slide outs in the bays and use plastic bins to hole stuff, one for paper goods, another for wash stuff etc.  works for us

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I want to look for the cup hooks with clips, I think that is a great idea.  I like the idea of numbering the storage boxes too--then keeping an inventory list.  Should make it much easier to find what we need.  What did we ever do before Tupperware?  We go on our first trip tomorrow for three days.  That should help us discover what we have forgotten. Then we can make another list and shop some more!  Ha ha  Thanks for your help.  Kay

I thought the cup hooks with clips were a good idea, but after checking my upper cabinets, I am not sure where I could attach them.  there is no wood in the top of the cabinets, only the regular ceiling fabric.  Right now I only have four mugs in the MH, so not too critical, just thought it would free up cabinet shelf space.  Where do you hang hooks for cups?  One more question.  I am currently stacking plates and bowls with some rubber shelf liner between them.  I saw a picture of a vertical storage rack with dividers on another site--would that work better?  Kay

We just wrap mugs and glasses with a piece of the rubber shelf cushion. Actually, "wrap" is an overstatement - it's more like a "U". just enough to keep adjacent items from banging together when we go over an RR track or unavoidable pothole.

Organizing the storage bays is a necessity if you carry a lot of "stuff" and want to be able to find anything.  We use plastic containers of various sizes and shapes - have always been able to find one that was "just right" for the items to be stored and the space availale for use.

The rubber mattings work for us.  Between the plate, bowls, cups, pots, and pans and under anything that will slide around or make noise.  Al but the wife that is, nothing can quiet her >LOL. Tongue in cheek.  We even have matting under the mattress as well as straps. I use it on my small nitestand next to the bed to keep the flashlight, phone charger, glasses, and whatever from sliding off. Just use the heck out of it, for whatever floats the boat.  Very inexpensive at the dollar stores, KMart and Wally World.  Good luck and happy mtoring.

Yes, I am discovering that the rubber liner material is great for multiple uses.  I had put some in drawers so things would not slide around, never thought about using it on top of the nightstands, great idea!  Thanks, Kay

I use dishtowels and potholders between plates and as padding. At least it has an additional use, unlike the rubber mat stuff which is great but isn't multi-use.

Wendy

Hi Wendycoke,  That's a good idea too--you have to have those towels and potholders anyway--might as well make good use of them!  I am short (5' 1") so keep trying to organize things in a way that I can get to them easily.  Dishes are stacked in cabinet over the sink, seems to be working okay with the rubber liners.  I put my seasoning jars in a small plastic container so I can just lift the whole thing down easily to find the one I need.  The pans are in the drawer under the stove--took along some of the disposable pans for just in case as well.  Read some forums about electric skillets so think I will go find one--may have to store it under the bed or perhaps one of the top cabinets over the dinette would hold it--will have to try it and see. All my friends keep saying "Just go out to eat", but I actually like to cook and eat in most of the time--the MH seems so warm and cozy!  Keep all the great suggestions coming my way.  Thanks, Kay

RREngr said:
snip
Read some forums about electric skillets so think I will go find one--may have to store it under the bed or perhaps one of the top cabinets over the dinette would hold it--will have to try it and see.
snip
Thanks, Kay

Along with the electric skillet, you might want to think about a George Foreman grill and a crockpot. If your MH has an inverter you can put the crockpot in the sink and cook dinner while you're driving down the road. Really smells good.

Hi Alaskansnowbirds,  We do have an inverter.  And a George Foreman grill--- might as well stick it in there.  Will need to find a smaller crockpot for the sink--you are right, a hot cooked meal ready to eat right after getting parked and hooked up would be great! Do you enjoy cooking in the MH?  If you are snowbirds, does that mean you are in MH for several months at a time?  We are new to Rving, so have only done two and three night trips so far.  Planning a two or three week trip to Missouri next June for a family reunion, so trying to get some experience  before we head off that far.  Kay

RREngr said:
Hi Alaskansnowbirds,? We do have an inverter.? And a George Foreman grill--- might as well stick it in there.? Will need to find a smaller crockpot for the sink--you are right, a hot cooked meal ready to eat right after getting parked and hooked up would be great! Do you enjoy cooking in the MH?? If you are snowbirds, does that mean you are in MH for several months at a time?? We are new to Rving, so have only done two and three night trips so far.? Planning a two or three week trip to Missouri next June for a family reunion, so trying to get some experience? before we head off that far.? Kay

We cook and eat in the MH more than we eat out. Too expensive to eat out all the time. If you eat in the MH most of the time your grocery bill will be similar to what it is at home.

We are retired Alaskans. Winter in AZ and spend the summer traveling. Left AZ last June 6 and returned first week in Sept. Would have been gone at least another month but my mother had a stroke so we came back early.

Alaskan Snowbirds I hope your Mom is doing okay now.  Sorry you had to cut your trip short.  Would have to agree about the eating out, can add up quickly and we find we tend to be tempted to eat all the wrong things as well!  Low willpower, too much temptation!  Enjoy your travels, hope to meet you sometime.  Kay & Rich

In our Pace Arrow MH  there is  a ledge int he cabinets about the Living rm/booth slide.  It's absolutely useless.  So I Saw these  4'' wide  6' long metal shelving in Home Depot  and purchased 2 lengths plus some small clips. I cut the shelving to fit, screwed in the clamps and Walla, secure shelving for all the spices and small extra goodies plus meds and bandages, even glasses fit up there.  Now it stays in place and have a little more storage.  Just an Idea.  Good luck and happy motoring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom