Cable and Hose Length Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proteusmd

How long of a water fill hose and how long of a power cable should I generally be carrying for us in the rv parks? Also, we have a 30 AMP system. Do i need a 50 to 30 amp converter or do most of these have 30 AMP systems.

Thanks in advance

In 15 years I've only found one place that doesn't have 30 amp service, the place we stay in Santa Cruz, CA.  I do carry a 50 to 30 adapter and also a 20 to 30 adapter.  Our power cord is about 25 feet long.  I carry a 25' fresh water hose.

Have (2) 10' and (1) 25' water hoses and have never used more than 35'. Mostly use 10'. I have the 25' cord for power and have not found the need (yet) for an extension. I generally use a 15' Valterra for sewage disposal, and also have a Rhino that's 20' long in two sections. I generally use the 15' Valterra and have added to Rhino one time. That was the same time I had to use the 35' of water hose. Most places that have 50 amp service have a 30 receptacle right along side. Some folks that have 30 amp service use a 50 amp to 30 adapter (dogbone) so they don't get nuisance trips from a weak 30 amp breaker on the pedestal.

I carry a 25' & 50' water hoses and only needed longer than 25' once, so glad I had the 50'.  As for electrical, besides the 25' 30A electrical cord that is installed in my TT, I also carry the 50' 30A I use at home when I need to plug into the dedicated 30A connection at my house, I have needed the extra length a few times.  If I were buying specifically for campground use, I would get a 25' hose which will serve you well in most instances, a 10 to 15' length hose for the few times when extra might be needed and a 25' electrical cord as an extra in case more length is needed.

Normally 25" is plenty for the hose and electrical.  But I have a few times had to use a extension, so I carry 50" of hose and 50" of electrical cords.  By all means do carry a 50 to 30 adapter because when we had a 30 amp system more than once we hit a bad 30 amp receptacle and simply used the 50 to 30 adapter and plugged into the 50 amp receptacle.  Problem solved for me.

tvman44  WOW.  I've never parked close enough to the pedestal to use a 25 inch cord.  I guess an extra 50 inches of hose and cord would help.    :eek: :D ;) ::) ;D

There are a couple of things that you might consider.  Sometimes it is preferable to park facing the opposite direction on a site.  Maybe the view is better or for other reasons.  In that case you might want to run the connections under your RV to the other side for the hook ups.

Another situation is that the hookups might be at the rear of a long site and you might want to park closer to the front.

I have a very long rig,  (77 feet), and I often need much longer cords and hoses.  In fact I usually use a long brown water hose with yellow tape marked "Sewer" hooked to a macerator pump because I am almost always too far away from the sewer connection for a standard 3 inch diameter sewer hose.

I also carry 125 feet of 6/3 electric cable with a 50 amp service box to connect directly to a home style electric service breaker box.  But that is a different story.

RV parks are not standardized in terms of how they set up their utilities so it's best to have a variety.  We had one case this summer where the water hoses hooked together just barely made it to the hookup.  Small, medium and large if you have the room to carry them!

ArdraF

Be prepaired:
In fifteen years of RV'ing with a 30 amp service this is what I have needed at one time or another:
-A 30 amp extension cord in addition to the one with the Trailer
-A 30 to 50 amp plug and 50 to 30 amp one
-A 30 to 20 amp plug
-Four 25 foot long hoses, ( I find a fifty foot one is a pain to coil)
I also keep hose mending couplings

Jack L

I carry 50 foot of hose and a 50 foot extention cord. The place where I am going to next month I'll need another 25 of hose. I have a 50 to 30 dog bone ,but I have never used it.

Since no one mentioned it, I'll point out that Commercial Park vs. government makes a difference. We usually use Commercial parks and have gotten by with two 25' hoses (one potable and one flush), the standard ~25' electric cord and 15' plus 10' sewer hoses.  Government parks tend to be designed for the convenience of the government, not the use of the customer thus often requiring longer hoses and cords.

Ernie.

I suggest having the dogbone adapters.
My coach is 30A, and so i carry adapters so I can plug it into 50A and 15/20A outlets.

I have found the 50A used more often that I thought, because many 30Amp outlets are in pretty bad shape from heavy use..... on my last trip one of the parks I stayed the plug would just fall out.... so I didn't even try to power it up.

I also carry a variety of dogbone adapters and have used them on occasion. The previous owner of my older Class C left one which is the pancake (wafer) style, about one inch wide.

I recently read an article, which someone else may provide the url to, which said a couple of RV technicians have studied and believe that this one inch wide adapter may be one of the primary causes of Dometic refer failures. I only scanned it because I have a Norcold, so I can't provide any details, but those with Dometic and the "wafer" dogbone connector may want to search for and read the article.

Back
Top Bottom