Cable in RV parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVMommaTo6

Some of the RV parks we're going to offer free cable tv. Do I need anything besides a cable and a tv to take advantage of that? Is the cable the same kind I would buy for a house?

Do yourself a favor and buy some push-on connectors - it will save a lot of frustration. Just Google "90 degree push on cable connectors" or something similar and you will get lots of hits. Some people don't like these since they are not as secure as screw-on connectors but it's an RV, not a high def home theater system!

Some campgrounds now have HD TV cable service and a HD TV or a converter box is needed. 

darsben said:
You want a minimum of 25 foot of cable. Do you have a place to hook it up to the outside of you Motor home or will you have to run it in a window?
If in a window then I would get a fifty foot cable just in case

If you plan on going with a 50' cable, buy two 25 footers. Rolling up a 50' cable every time you move would be a pain. I've never been to a CG where I would need a 50' cable but I'm sure they're out there. I have extera cable in case I come across one. Just have a couple of connectors available.

You will find all sorts of things, some parks have analog cable with pictures with so much static to be nearly unwatchable, some will require you to use their cable box (some rent, some have them for free), it really does vary.

All the cables I see on Amazon are followed by different combinations of numbers and letters. Do I need anything specific?

If you have a ACE hardware store near you they can fix you up with needed items including push on ends for your cables.  I have a 25' & 15', at most rv parks I only need to use the 15'. 

I bought a set of screw to push connectors like these for the RV park post https://smile.amazon.com/Fluar-10-Pack-Connectors-Adapter-Satellite/dp/B07FKZDRR7/  plus a standard screw on cable for the RV end as I can leave that end connected in my wet bay all the time where the cable outlet is on my coach.    I would go with the shortest cable that will work, say 15 feet, which will reach the power post / cable connection most of the time .  A cable like like https://smile.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-Angled-F-Type-Connector-coaxial/dp/B071XP6MT8/ or  https://smile.amazon.com/TNP-Coaxial-Connectors-Adapter-Shielded/dp/B07FFPW888/ note that the connectors have a bad habit of pulling loose on cheaper cables.

I prefer the push ends as often the RV park connection will free spin in the faceplate, or have its threads damaged.

I have to disagree with this last post, this has the typical twist on connector ends, which tend to pull loose after a few uses, it may be fine for around a home, but is not good on the road where you will  be disconnecting and reconnecting all the time, also it  is way too long, longer cable means more signal reduction, which is already bad enough in most RV parks, there is not need to make it worse.

Isaac-1 said:
I have to disagree with this last post, this has the typical twist on connector ends, which tend to pull loose after a few uses, it may be fine for around a home, but is not good on the road where you will  be disconnecting and reconnecting all the time, also it  is way too long, longer cable means more signal reduction, which is already bad enough in most RV parks, there is not need to make it worse.

She is asking what kind of cable. RG6, RG5 or RG11 I gave her a link to RG6 which is the industry standard today. To many times the push-on gives a lousy connection. It is one thing if the park has crappy connection but quite different to the OP if her equipment is insufficient.  If the OP complains to management about bad cable her stuff should be up to snuff. With the cable I recommended she is good to go.  Poorly maintained RV park cable equipment are not her problem a cruddy cable is her problem.

Yes, but you  gave a link that has the cheap twist to install end, not one with thermoset or crimped on connectors.      These twist to install ends have a habit of coming loose from the bare cable after a few reuses.

p.s. I included a link with push on adapters to use in those cases where there are issues with the threads or spinning connector in faceplate, while it is true the push on connectors don't get as good of signal as screw down ones, they often will work where the screw down ones are difficult or impossible to connect.

We keep 50? of cable on a cable spool. Easy to store and easy to pull out just what you need, leaving the remainder on the spool. No more wads of cabling!

SeilerBird said:
Yep it is the same as in your house. You need a minimum of a TV.

Maybe. Campgrounds that use Digital Cable may supply you with converter boxes, but they may not. In that case, if your TV has a built-in QAM tuner, then you're all set.

Note that since 2009 all TVs had to come with built-in ATSC tuners in order to receive Digital OTA (Over The Air) programming. However, TVs are not required to have QAM tuners, and many don't.

Isaac-1 said:

I have a couple of those Amazon cables, and they have industry standard compression fittings installed. The fittings come with removable plastic covers as shown that make finger tightening much easier. I've yet to see a properly installed compression fitting pull loose without considerable effort. Note the part of the description that says, "Includes 2 removable easy-grip caps for effortless connecting (no need for extra tools)..."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weat1220
Back
Top Bottom