Cable in the RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cruppy

We just bought our first RV it is a 2011
KZ Coyote.
My question is the TV that
came with it, when hooked up with
Cable I cannot get pictures but if I run
My cable from the outside in I get
Pictures.
How can I figure out if the cable is
Bad is bad inside of the RV?

Thanks,
Emmett

There is a wall plate that the cable plugs into that has a button and light on it. Need to push it to switch to cable. Light should be off for cable. May not actually be where the TV is plugged into could be at another place. Look around. It switches the OTA to cable signal to all plugs if you have more than one.

captsteve said:
look around the tv/vcr there is probably an A/B switch used to switch inputs. you may have to flip it.

I do have one and it is flipped to cable still nothing

Ghostman said:
There is a wall plate that the cable plugs into that has a button and light on it. Need to push it to switch to cable. Light should be off for cable. May not actually be where the TV is plugged into could be at another place. Look around. It switches the OTA to cable signal to all plugs if you have more than one.
Ghostman it is switched to cable but red light will not go off. Could the switch be bad?

Cruppy said:
Ghostman it is switched to cable but red light will not go off. Could the switch be bad?

Red light? Hmmm... All the wall plates I've seen for RV antennas have a green light, not red, beside the small push button and 12V jack. Perhaps yours is just a different brand, or perhaps we are talking about two different things.

Larry N. said:
Red light? Hmmm... All the wall plates I've seen for RV antennas have a green light, not red, beside the small push button and 12V jack. Perhaps yours is just a different brand, or perhaps we are talking about two different things.

Ghostman here is a picture of the plate.

Attachments

• 20180818_125919.jpg
    20180818_125919.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 76
That is an oddball, can you find a name on it.  Can you post a photo of the antenna?

When set to antenna, 12 volts should be supplied to the antenna and the antenna cable should be connected.  When set to cable, the antenna should be disconnected and the cable input connected.  At least that is how the common Winegard systems work.

I have seen both Green and Red, and I've not seen all that many

IF THE LIGHT (no matter the color) remains on no matter what you do with the switch then one of two conditions exists.

WRONG SWITCH

Bad Switch

The switch and light we are discussing is on a wall plate with a 12 volt outlet and an antenna connection on it.    The wall plate where the red light will not go off is the battery disconnect. it has two rocker switches and a digital display along with the red light. One switch turns the display on so long as you hold it (Voltmeter) teh other is the USE/Store stiwch, these have nothign to do with the TV antenna less you are on batteries (Red light must be on for anything to work).

IF Trailer is new.. Return to dealer and have them test, correct and demonstrate

If trailer is used.  possible prior owner messed up Cable wiring  This is a common practice.

It only has one rocker switch. The light goes off if I switch it to the center which it says off.

Cruppy said:
It only has one rocker switch. The light goes off if I switch it to the center which it says off.

That is what it said in the instructions that I linked.  After doing the trouble shooting in the manual, and you still have problems, then let know what you found.

Lynnmor this is a dumb question but in the
Trouble shooting part of the instructions  it talks about
A PCB where would I find that?

More than likely behind the plate you took a photo of. It probably has a box or something behind it, that coax connector has to connect to something back there. Don't expect a large PCB though....

Cruppy said:
Lynnmor this is a dumb question but in the
Trouble shooting part of the instructions  it talks about
A PCB where would I find that?

See Figure 6 on page 4.  PCB stands for printed circuit board.

If you remove the cable from the antenna and check the voltage in the cable end, you will know if power is being supplied to the amplifier inside the antenna when switch is set to antenna.  You check with a voltmeter with the negative lead attached to the outer portion and the positive lead contacting the center wire.  Extreme caution is necessary to prevent shorting the two, one way is to use a piece of insulated wire sticking the center lead up into the unstripped end.

lynnmor said:
See Figure 6 on page 4.  PCB stands for printed circuit board.

If you remove the cable from the antenna and check the voltage in the cable end, you will know if power is being supplied to the amplifier inside the antenna when switch is set to antenna.  You check with a voltmeter with the negative lead attached to the outer portion and the positive lead contacting the center wire.  Extreme caution is necessary to prevent shorting the two, one way is to use a piece of insulated wire sticking the center lead up into the unstripped end.

So you say to unhook the end that is connected to the antenna but live it hooked to the pcb/cable outlet? To do that I have to remove all the sealant around the base.
The funny thing is that my Jensen Radio works when either cable or Air is selected.
Sorry for all the questions. Would like to fix this with help so I don't have to go to the dealer.

Cruppy said:
So you say to unhook the end that is connected to the antenna but live it hooked to the pcb/cable outlet? To do that I have to remove all the sealant around the base.
The funny thing is that my Jensen Radio works when either cable or Air is selected.
Sorry for all the questions. Would like to fix this with help so I don't have to go to the dealer.

First, this test is for getting the antenna working and may not matter if you only want cable TV.  It appears that all you need to do is remove one screw and slide the antenna off the base..  It might be that the installer hogged up the caulking so that comes up too high, but that can be scraped off.  You should not have to disturb the base. 

The radio probably is receiving because of an internal antenna or just from the wiring.

You should know that Jensen products are about the cheapest junk available and you should expect mediocre performance.  My best guess is that you have problems with the coax cables and you should be inspecting, testing and replacing as required. 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom