Calgon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Svenska

I know that this is an old subject but could someone fill me in on Calgon in the "black"?? water tank.? What type?...The only one that I am familiar with is the "Calgon, take me away" type ;D!!..........And also, can someone tell me how to use it and why?
I have read some of the posts but I guess I need to have it "spelled" out.
Thank you ;D

Calgon is a brand name for a water softening agent, sodium carbonate (not to be confused with sodium bicarbonate, or baking soda), that has been around for many years. Look in the laundry soap aisle of any supermarket. A cheaper way to go is to get Arm & Hammer Washing Soda - same stuff without the fancy name.

more than you ever even wanted to know: http://home.mindspring.com/~cbruni/index.html

there is less than universal agreement that this is a good thing.  I've done a 1/4 of Calgon the last three dumps and havn't seen any effect.

Joel,
As you have found out, it takes more than one treatment to get the job done. Long soak times are required and full tanks are best. I personally don't use bleach because it can kill the bacteria that help break down the waste and can release toxic gases (chlorine) if the water becomes acidic, which human waste (urine) is. Lots of water is essential.

Karl,

Well now that the subject as been broached....

Apparently the problem that one is trying to solve is to remove the coating on the tank level sensors.

That's not an issue once you accept that you can't believe them (gray & black).  The gray tank gurgles and then shortly after that comes up in the shower.  Not a big deal since we have a blue boy.  We have found that the black tank lasts at least 15 days.  I would hate to find out what happens when it's full but 15 days without dumping has been a one time experience for us.

The advice we received during our pdi was to immediatly put 5 bowlfuls of water in the black tank after dumping. This sloshes around enroute to the next stop.  We've done that and have had no problem in our first 15 months.  We used the green stuff that they gave up with the trailer a few times and then quit.  We used nothing except the 5 bowlfuls of water until this trip when we decided to try the Calgon bit.

Given that you accept that the tank level lights are meaningless, what are you accomplishing with the Calgon treatment?

Joel,

Ah, hope springs eternal that one day those little bulbs of confusion willl, once again, function properly. Not that they serve any useful purpose by reminding you that you are full when you're sitting in the middle of the desert without an 'oasis' in sight, but it just irks one to have something not working correctly.  :'(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom