California Redwoods Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

All, I am hoping you can add some tips for our upcoming trip to the California Redwoods this fall (first week in October).  I thought I saw a thread on the forum but couldn't find it.

We are taking 101 from the North (Newport OR and down south).  We are driving a 37' Class A.  We plan on staying 3 nights near the park and then packing up for day trips (no TOAD).  We want full hookups.

Based on what I read in various RV travel guides we picked a campground called "Ancient Redwoods RV Park" near Redcrest.  It has the full hookups we are looking to and I believe it is close to the desirable areas of the park.

I am a newbie at this and would appreciate your tips.

I stayed there about 3 years ago. Good location for driving the Redwood Highway. Cell service extremely limited, they have a booster and a covered area near it where you can walk over and get cell service, nice of them to provide that.  Very nice gift shop on the property. Everything as advertised on their site and very friendly, I would go back. I was in a 38' Class A at the time and had no issues.

You've picked a good location, Avenue of the Giants and the nearby state parks are not to be missed.  But a 37 ft. Class A without a toad will limit the places you can visit. Many of the roads in that area were built in the 1930s and haven't changed much since then.  Your motorhome is simply too large to fit in many of the pullouts and parking areas along the Avenue.  Also it's too big to comfortably take on the winding roads along the Lost Coast.

This is why almost all motorhomes pull a toad.  If you really won't have a toad, consider renting a car for the time you'll be there and leave the RV in the park.  Enterprise has reasonable rates and two locations in Eureka.  You can get a car with unlimited mileage for around $50 a day or $250 for a week.  Reserve a car on their website, pick it up as you pass through on your way south and let your wife/partner follow the RV to the park.

Also note that Redwood National and State Parks are further north, between Crescent City and Eureka.  Be sure to stop in their visitor center as you head south.

Thelazyl, it's a beautiful area.  I'm not clear about exactly where you want to go, but the following is a comment I posted in 2015 after we visited the redwoods.  It was about CA 199 between Grants Pass OR and Crescent City CA.

"CA 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City is not what I would call easy driving in an RV.  It isn't the grades; it's the twisty curving road.  We drove it in both directions last year in the Jeep and the road itself is fine, but you do have to pay attention.  Northtbound we were behind a toy hauler motorhome that was working hard.  I suspect he was over the 40-foot length limit and we thought he probably was wishing he had gone another route.  There's one tiny rest area (on the right southbound) that you might miss because it's just an open area in the woods.  If you see a large construction scoop with greenery around it that's the rest area.  The greenery hides a pit toilet."

ArdraF

Thank you, all, for your feedback.  I think we will rent a car!  I will also re-think our route back into the valley between Cresent City and Grants Pass.  It's always nice going back up the Oregon Coast.  I appreciate the help!

I forgot to mention earlier that weather along the coast can change very quickly.  We started out one day in nice sunshine that was relatively warm and drove into an extremely thick fog bank.  Luckily we had thrown coats, hats, and gloves in the back seat because we needed them when we got out at viewpoints (which may or may not have a view at any given time).

ArdraF

We've stayed at the Redwoods RV Resort a couple of times and enjoyed it. They've got some very spacious sites, and there's no trouble getting level. Many sites are big rig friendly and they've got everything from tent sites to 50 amp service.

It's about eight miles north of Crescent City on the 101. We stayed there in our 43 foot Class A (towing) and had no trouble at all. To get back to I-5, we went south on 101 to highway 20, then east over the mountains. It's about a 4 - 6% grade in some places, but it wasn't bad. There are only a couple of routes between 101 and I-5 that larger RVs and semis can use. Highway 20 is one of them.

Kev

I just did most of this drive last weekend - in the opposite direction. From Sacramento, up I5 to Red Bluff, across Highway 299 through Weaverville, out to McKinleyville, then 101 north through Crescent City, Brookings, Coos Bay, and Newport then 34 Corvallis and 5 up to Portland.

101 gets tight in places, but there are plenty of other RVs on the road so you won't feel alone. :) Last weekend 101 between Coos Bay and Newport was really busy - the weather was flawless and everyone was enjoying it I'm sure. South of Coos Bay it was pretty quiet on the whole.

My drive was in a convertible (and absolutely wonderful) but these days I find myself making mental notes about whether my 32' A will fit or not. :) I think next year we may take it, and spend some time.

There's a new website about Redwood National Park with lots of things to do in the park and nearby. There's also a lodging directory that includes RV campgrounds and resorts. It's http://redwoodcoastparks.com. Have a good trip.

We just returned from our trip - it was great.  We started in Lincoln City (Oregon) and down 101 to the "Avenue of the Giants" in the National Forrest.  It is beautiful this time of year and the roads were wide open.  We decided to not rent a car; we had no difficulty seeing everything we wanted to.  I am glad we fueled up in Oregon because the prices in Cali were about a dollar more per gallon.

We decided against returning through Grants Pass and instead decided to spend 2 more nights on the Oregon Coast. I've never been south of Coos Bay before - the areas around Brookings, Gold Beach and Bandon are beautiful.

On our second night at the Redwoods a caravan of ~12 rigs came in to the campground.  They all travel together as part of a club.  I might be interested in joining something like this one day.  RVers, in general, are the nicest and friendliest people I've even met.

I appreciate the tips I received on this one.

We went through the Avenue of the Giants in a 40 ft motorhome when we travelled down through the west coast. As stated, the pull offs are quite small. It was winter time, so it wasn't too busy. I would say the pull offs would only hold maybe three large rvs if no cars were there. I took this video of the place we pulled off if you want to look at the pull off. Its in the first 15 seconds or so. There are a few other videos on my channel as well of our trip through the area if you are interested. The video quality isn't the greatest. I was pretty green at uploading to Youtube at the time. We took Hwy 38 to Reedsport to avoid the Grants Pass Hwy. It is very gradual all the way to the ocean. Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-e-1V1JDBQ

My first trip through the Avenue of the Giants was in a two axle fuel truck. Not one of my better ideas as I had to constantly watch my mirrors to keep them from getting flattened against the doors but sure didn't regret it. What an incredible place, I had seen large trees but nothing like that!

Back
Top Bottom