California's Combined Length Limit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArdraF

All,

I just noticed in the November 2006 FMC magazine that California has a legal combined length of just 65 feet.  This might be a concern for some of you who drive longer RVs with toads.  The information is in a subsection of FMC's "Legislative Updates" column on page 100.  I'll quote the most relevant excerpts below in case you don't receive this magazine.

"FMCA members Rick and Barbara Kent said they were issued a citation while driving between Indio CA and the state line.  A state police officer measured their 45-foot motorhome and towed car at 68 feet....FMCA has confirmed...California Vehicle Code limits the total length of any combination of vehicles to 65 feet.

The Kents have researched towed vehicle lengths to see what they can legally tow.  'We have found that with a 45-foot motorhome the only thing you can tow in California is something similar in length to a Jeep Wrangler or Volkswagon.'  Mr. Kent said 'The Cheverolet Tahoe is nearly a foot too long.'

According to FMCA's most recent Motorhome Regulations survey, 33 states have combined length limits of 65 feet or shorter."

When we took the ferry to Newfoundland this summer, they measured our 40-foot Monaco Executive and attached Acura MDX toad at 60 feet.  This means that a 45-foot motorhome with an Acura MDX could stay within the 65-foot limit if it is a "true" 45-foot measurement.  For the record, Monaco says our 40-foot coach is actually 41 feet 3 inches long.

Apparently the Kents believed prior to their citation that there was a "grace measurement" meaning they could get a permit for a comibination longer than 65 feet.  The CHP told FMCA that this is not an option and DOT does not issue over-length permits.

ArdraF

Good reason I hesitate on a 40 "er  cuz I'm 65' now including the A on the trailer.

And California CHP watch for it.  A couple of months ago we traveled to northern california to Race, we measure a freight train 70+ ft. (we travel with a Pusher and Stacker trailer). once we got over to the coast we had to have a truck meet us and take the trailer the rest of the way.

:-\

My brother is an over the road trucker. He refuses loads into CA. Taking his advice, I choose not to enter CA.. The state has far too many rules for me to partonize the state. There are plenty of awesome places to go without CA.. It's a shame, I had many good experiences in CA when stationed at Camp Pendleton. I would have liked to go back. 

Methinks I shall "refuse loads" into California as well.  I didn't leave anything there I have to go back for. ;)

I wonder how thesethese people got by hauling this all over the west coast ? ???

<Quote> "THE TRUCK AND TRAILER TOGETHER MEASURE IN AT JUST UNDER 73 FEET LONG AT 72'7" X 12'6" TALL X 8'2.5" WIDE. THE COACH HAS A 30,260 GVWR AND THE TRAILER HAS A 24,000 GVW FOR A COMBINED TOTAL GVWR OF 54,260 LBS"

Kenneth said:
I wonder how thesethese people got by hauling this all over the west coast ? ???

<Quote> "THE TRUCK AND TRAILER TOGETHER MEASURE IN AT JUST UNDER 73 FEET LONG AT 72'7" X 12'6" TALL X 8'2.5" WIDE. THE COACH HAS A 30,260 GVWR AND THE TRAILER HAS A 24,000 GVW FOR A COMBINED TOTAL GVWR OF 54,260 LBS"

From the California Vehicle Code:

35401.  (a) Except as provided in subdivisions (b), (c), and (d), no
combination of vehicles coupled together, including any attachments,
may exceed a total length of 65 feet.
  (b) (1) A combination of vehicles coupled together, including any
attachments, which consists of a truck tractor, a semitrailer, and a
semitrailer or trailer, may not exceed a total length of 75 feet, if
the length of neither the semitrailers nor the trailer in the
combination of vehicles exceeds 28 feet 6 inches.

That Freightliner is a truck tractor in the sense of the above code section.  It is just a truck tractor with a helluva big cab.

I have the same problem in Texas.  I live in Oklahoma and use a 24' V nose trailer to tow my race car to events and I am in a 39 foot coach.  I am right at 65 feet long so a longer coach for what I use mine for is not possible.  No Tag axle DP coach is in my immediate future.  I have seen tow total length measurments listed for Oklahoma one for 65 and the other for 72'.  Either way, I plan on keeping my total lengths right at 65 feet so I can go where I please with out worries.  Does Prevost make a 39 footer? ;)

By the way, that is why I like my 24' V nose trailer.  I loose a little space up front but the trailer sits soo much closer to the back of my coach it saves me on total length.  A 24' trailer with a long enough toung to not hit in tight turns would be too long for me.  A 22' flat nose would not give me enough room in front of my car to put all my spare parts and tires.  FWIW.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom