Calling all those that have applied Liquid RV Roof.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Firefighter1406

I need to reseal my EPDM roof due to cracking. According to there website I need 3 gallons for my 17? trailer. However when I figure up the square feet I get 3.2 gal. For those that have used the product does the subtracting of the vent covers, A/C unit, etc make up for the .2 that I am figuring and I will be good with 3 gallons or should I just do the 4 gallons?  It?s too expensive to waste but also don?t want to run short.

Any experience would be great.

Thank you.

Can you buy 4 and return an un-open can?  You will be disappointed if you run short or have to spread it thinner than you wanted.  Seems I never get the coverage claimed on anything.

I've not used that brand but I'm struggling to believe that a 17 footer will use the full 3 gallons, let alone 4.  I'm guessing you calculated 8 x 17 ft to get the 3.2 gal, but  0.2 gal is only 8 sq ft @ 42 sqft/gal, and the a/c and such should make up for that.  Have you measured the actual roof length, or are you just using the general trailer length as a guide?  For example, if the actual coated area were only 16 ft, 3 gallon would be more than enough.

I put on Liquid Roof 4 1/2 years ago. My 30' Class C showed it needed 5 gallons so that's what I bought. 4 gallons covered mine to the proper depth. I think they intentionally overestimate since some roofs do not have as many vents, large sunroofs, A/C, fridge vents, etc.

FYI, I had several places where the original 17 year old membrane was separated from the wood underneath. Liquid Roof soaked thru the membrane and glued them down which were up to 12" x 3" long. After 4 years they are still glued down.

It is in perfect condition after 4 1/2 years and my only complaint is it stains worse than the original membrane when fall leaves get wet and you don't wash them off right away.

Edit: after some thought if your membrane is very aged it might require more. Mine had always been stored inside so it was very smooth. I applied it only as a preventative measure. A membrane with a rough surface would require more to cover it. And more might soak through.

I used it and the results have been horrible. The roof stained and showed mold and mildew in a matter of a few months. The manufacturer refused to help. It does not leak, but it didn't before I applied the stuff. Now after a few years, it looks horrible. Fortunately, I can't see it from the ground. We are now looking for a product to cover it over. Chuck

This is a picture of the staining on my Liquid Roof. I'm also considering a cheaper product to cover it just to reflect more sun off the roof. I still think it is a good alternative to replacing the membrane and would use it again. Way cheaper and way easier to apply.

Attachments

• RVroof .JPG
    RVroof .JPG
    37 KB · Views: 71
Yep, Mine looks pretty much the same and looked like that after only about two months after I applied it. Chuck

I had a 24' 5th wheel...??.used 2 gallons of Liquid Roof and had some to spare. After a year it still looked like a new roof...?.no stains at all. Trade it in on a newer 5ver and the dealer looked at the roof and he even thought it was a brand new roof.

Thank everyone for all there answers. I was going to order but I then read that it needed to sit for 4/5 days before moving. By the time it would have shipped here and then applied I wouldn?t have that time before leaving for the trip. So I will be shooting to get this done before the trip in October.

Back
Top Bottom