Campfire in a can

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Some of you may recall at Quartzite we were pestering everyone who knew anything about portable campfires.? We gave a long look at propane portable campfires and finally gave up on them.? Not only are they expensive, but to me they are unwieldy.? Who wants to carry a big propane tank around and hoses and all that stuff?? And they just did not seem real to me when I was near them.

We found the solution at QZ but did not really put it to the test until this week.? It is called campfire in a can.? It travels collapsed inside a metal cover and fits in a box no more than 1 foot square.? Assembled it is stacked a couple feet high with a cylinder that has many holes in it.? You can burn either artificial wood or real wood.? We use a small block of artificial to get things started and pile real wood in on top.

We like it because we can usually gather our own wood and at worst buy a pack at the CG or the local grocery store.? I keep a small amount in a plastic storage bin so a campfire is always ready when we pull in.

Here are some pictures taken in the last 24 hours.? We love it and it cost only $79 on sale at QZ.

Attachments

• 6jun06 136 (Small).jpg
    6jun06 136 (Small).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 6jun06 138 (Small).jpg
    6jun06 138 (Small).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 62
  • campfire6jun06 139 (Medium).jpg
    campfire6jun06 139 (Medium).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 65
Looks as if you have the campfire down pat, Smoky.    But for the Q, isn't that a little small for the group.  Of course everyone could snuggle up closer and Helaine wouldn't have to  blow the whistle as loud and she'd be in swatting distance of Tom  LOL

LOL Shayne!  I agree this is no substitute for the main campfire at QZ, or even for the post event campfire that Bob Buchanan runs in his little stone circle.  No, this campfire is more for a single coach and maybe a friend or two.  also the picture does not do it justice.  The Admiral and I took snots of it in the early stages.  In about 15 minutes it settle down to a nice set of embers and a glowing fire.

another mystery for me to solve.  My new FZ30 toy got in the way of a more realistic picture.  I took this picture at dusk when it was almost dark.  However the Panasonic is so good at adjusting exposure it brightened the whole thing up and made it look like afternoon.  Now I am trying to figure out how to tell the FZ30 NOT to correct for underexposure.  Hmmm.

I don't recall you pestering me about portable campfires... I had a Propane one (Fake one) at QZ this year

I prefer a real wood fire, assorted reasons... However the propane ones can be gathered around just as well when conditions are not favorable to a real fire

For example, I broke it out at the GLASS rally (only the 2nd time I've used it) set up on nice green grass, which is just as green now as it was then since the grass never burned.

As for "That big tank and hoses" well, you do need one hose, you can get 5lb tanks or adapters to run it off a 1 lb disposable

Smoky,

It looks great and I am sure it is enjoyable BUT it can't be used in the forest or for example Gallatin Co. when the NO FIRE burn ban is in effect.  No outside wood fires are allowed and in certain circumstances no wood stoves are allowed either.  Also many campgrounds do not allow wood fires but do allow the ,ugh, propane ones.  :-((

Personally, I like it and I would think that with a screen cover it could be make safe enough to be allowed.

Jim:

I have yet to visit a private campground that will not allow fires in the proper container.? I cannot speak yet for state and fed parks as we don't have enough experience with them.? Also there may be some fire control areas when drought is in force, but they apply to both propane and wood fires.? Many camps prohibit campfires but only if they are not in a suitable container that they do not provide, but you can provide for yourself.? Every campground we have been in has allowed us this device even when they post no campfires.? I guess it is not inconceivable that we won't run into one.? I cannot think of any logic that would permit propane and not wood except one thing.? The wood CAN throw off sparks.? However we have a screen that goes on the top (if needed) to control sparking.?

So far there has been no need for that screen.? After the first 15 minutes the fire settles down well below the top cylinder and stays contained within the bottom cylinder.? The top cylinder acts as a spark arrester once the fire reaches that stage.? I also think I could start a fire without the intensity as shown in the photo.? But to tell the truth, I enjoy seeing it start off with some pizazz.? ;D

Propane has some dangers that the campfire in a can does not have.? Pros and cons for each.? It all boils down to personal choice in the end.? We like the lower cost, the smell of the wood (what I like best), and the less cumbersome setup of the campfire in a can.

John, this campfire in a can sits up on a stand.? In the picture the stand (which raises up about 8 inches) was sitting on grass.? When we finish with the fire the grass is cool and no sign at all that a campfire was there.? This is a very well engineered piece of equipment.? Later I will try to get a picture of how it disassembles etc.

We are in a campground right now that would not permit you to use your campfire.  There are several that will not allow would fires since some folks have allergies.  I many areas we have seen the propane campfires are allowed but wood fires are not.  I have seen areas where charcoal bar B Que is not allowed but propane are due to fire danger.  The smell of wood burning does beat just watching flames dance in a propane fire. 

I don't dispute what you say Ron, it is just our experience differs from yours. 

Again, in the end, regardless of rules or no rules, it boils down to personal choice.  We had already decided NOT to carry any portable campfire at all rather than a propane which gave us no satisfaction worth the effort.  Then suddenly, we came across the campfire in a can.  ;D ;D

Smoky,

One year the framily went to the RV Show in Pomona.  No campfires allowed on the asphalt so someone had a flower pot, I think it was, and a large candle and we had a "campfire".  VBG

It worked for us!!

In many parts of the west during fire season any fire has to be a UL approved appliance. We have a gas fireplace tha has been questioned a couple of times but allowed beacuase it was UL approved and had no sparks.

Back
Top Bottom