Campfire recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

What are your guy's favorite campfire meals? My favorites are the classic cooking iron fruit pies (fruit filling between two slices of bread cooked with a square cooking iron) and what we refer to as hobo hotdish (potato slices, carrot chips, ground beef, and onion, seasoned with salt, pepper, and butter; cooked in an aluminum foil pocket on hot coals until the potatoes are soft.

My wife's favorite is breakfast burritos cooked over the fire in a rectangular double iron.

If you prefer cooking in the fire, I'd recommend a dutch oven.
ANYTHING (well... practically anything) tastes wonderful cooked in a dutch oven on a campfire.
Google "campfire cast iron dutch oven recipes" and you will be in hog heaven?..

We eat simple food when we camp.  Some of our favorites are:
1) fried hamburger patties in mushroom gravy served with mashed potatoes.
2) soup made with a hamburger patty (fried and up into 1/2" cubes, add a can of mixed veggies and thicken with corn starch, add a bit of bulion. 
3)  pre-cooked sliced roast beef with mushroom gravy over mashed potatoes
4)  tacos
5)  grilled cheese w/tomato soup
6) cream of chicken soup with rice
7) fried (broken up) hamburger with cream of mushroom soup over mashed potatoes
Anything simple and fast with minimal cleanup.  I will not, however,  eat Dinty Moore stew, that stuff is nasty.

Interested in hearing replies for this as well! Easy cooking and cleanup are great for us as well. We like eating simple, but I would like to change things up a bit so we aren?t always eating the same things. And I love cooking over the campfire.

Good post

Pork tenderloin marinate in equal parts pure maple syrup and Dijon mustard overnight. Grill 10 minutes per side. (Assuming 400 degree heat) a fan fav!
Corn on cob

BinaryBob said:
If you prefer cooking in the fire, I'd recommend a dutch oven.
ANYTHING (well... practically anything) tastes wonderful cooked in a dutch oven on a campfire.
Google "campfire cast iron dutch oven recipes" and you will be in hog heaven?..

For 3 years I was broke down 3 miles from an Outlet mall. for 2 of 'em they had a Kitchen Glamor store.. Well.. When the store closed.. I picked up a real nice Lodge Dutch Oven. HEAVY yes. Cast iron YES. GOOD Yes..

S'mores

Kebabs (veggies with shrimp [seasoned with Old Bay or lemon pepper], chicken [seasoned with pretty much anything], and/or beef [seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder])

Chicken tenderloin on a stick, grilled, then coated with teriyaki or BBQ sauce

Corn-on-the-cob, wrapped in foil (or with the husks left on), seasoned with butter, salt, and pepper

Salmon, mahi-mahi, or other firm fish, preferably with the skin on, grilled, and seasoned with lemon pepper

Shrimp (U/8) or prawns, seasoned with Old Bay or marinated with tequila and lime, and grilled

For anyone that uses Old Bay, I recommend you try Wye River Original Red seasoning in place of the Old Bay sometime. Not affiliated, I just like Wye River.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom