Campfires Stink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

I'd like to hear one good reason that would change my mind as to why campfires should not be outlawed and forbidden in campgrounds.

During a recent stop in a State Park in Upper New York State, the occupants at nearly every campsite arrived with a cord of wood in their pickup, trailer or motorhome.  Every evening before the sun set, campfires were lit and within an hour it was impossible to breathe.  Inside our coach, we could not open a window, because the smoke came in by convection.

I could not fall asleep from burning eyes and throat.

During the day, many people who lit campfires, maintained them throughout the day, would leave their site with the fire burning, leaving the fire unattended and the smoke to fill the air.

I realize the history and nostalgia surrounding campfires, and kids can roast their marshmallows and weenies, but a similar nostalgia accompanies cigarette smoking and horses walking the public streets.

Shouldn't we as outdoor enthusiasts re orient our thinking to the more enlightened view that burning wood pollutes the air and contributes to upper respiratory disorders?

I happen to enjoy a campfire, and the smell of a wood fire isn't unpleasant to me.  It's a part of outdoor living and it's not going away.  I know you have an extreme aversion to wood smoke so I can only recommend that you try to find campsites upwind from the fires or campgrounds that don't allow fires.  Wood smoke is in no way comparable to tobacco smoke, which really does bother me.  I avoid places were smoking is allowed.

To leave a fire burning unattended is definitely unsafe, and is almost always against the rules in the campground.  When you see that happening, report it to the campground management.

We've had this discussion before, and I'm afraid you're in the minority on this issue.

Now, if you want to talk about something really objectionable, how about diesel exhaust :)

They ought to go to the source and ban the growing of trees Steve. No trees, no firewood, no log fires.

But Tom, We wouldn't have anything to sit around at the Q.    Wife (Boss) hates the Smoke of any sort. Me doesn't bother me and I enjoy campfires.  Of the one at the Q is a Controled Campfire, they are the best kind. 

Tom said:
They ought to go to the source and ban the growing of trees Steve. No trees, no firewood, no log fires.

I think I've been to that campground! ;D

We've had this discussion before, and I'm afraid you're in the minority on this issue.

A very long time ago, and I would have hoped that attitudes might have changed, as they have in connection with many other irratents.  It is being recognized that many  people are affected by strong odors such as perfumes and now clean air policies are being instituted in public buildings.

I fully understand the charm and nostalgia connected with burning logs in the open, but why can't people sit around outdoors and socialize without a fire?

Well, often it's cold and the fire allows people to socialize and stay warm.  Without the fires, I doubt that many would be out at Quartzsite after dark.  Also, it's hard to see at night without the fire :)

Where ever you have a gathering of people there will be annoyances. Smoke, music, diesel, noise,.............with a touch of arrogance. So we boon dock and stay away from the "crowd." Nothing like the smell of a skunk in the morning ::)

We could make a video of a fire and play it on a notebook computer and we could all gather 'round :)  Yuk, might as well stay home and be bored.

I seems that there are two types of camp fires.  One burns pretty clean and doesn't emit all that much smoke.  I like those.  Other times, they just seems to smolder and  create a lot of stinky smoke that irritates my sinnus.  I suspect it all has to do with the type of wood and dryness of same.  One of the things I like about the TT compared to our older pop-up is that we can shut out most of the smoke smell.  We couldn't do that with our tent side pop-up.
Jake

I'd like to hear one good reason  that would change my mind as to why campfires should not be outlawed and forbidden in campgrounds.

I enjoy seeing them and sitting around them, chatting with others and merely watching the flames dance. Good enough reason for me.

There are plenty of places that do not allow fires to accomodate those who do not like fires.

You definately don't want to be around me.

I love to cook in my smoker when I am camping.

Boston Butt Roasts, Ribs, Briskets normally a 12 to 16 hour chore.

nothing like cooking with wood over low heat.

MMMMMMMMMM........

I, personally, have a difficult time with campfire smoke.? Feels like I can't breathe.? That is one of the main reasons we got out of the tent, off the ground, and up into the RV.? So much better. Also, I take my shower at night after sitting outside to get the smoke smell out of my hair.? I really am not a picky person, but smoke really does bother me.? Sorry.

Beverly

I also enjoy a campfire when the evenings are cool/chilly and there is a great tradition of sitting around the campfire singing campfire songs... Now that I happen to enjoy very much (I keep a copy of Rise Up Singing in my towed most of the time)

I will admit that too much smoke is a problem, even for me, but so far I've never had that problem with wood smoke

Tobacco smoke, as someone else said, is a SERIOUS problem, with some brands of tobacco (the genetically modified brands) you go outside and smoke, come in and stand beside me, I can't breath.  (Regular tobacco is just annoying)

I really am not a picky person, but smoke really does bother me.? Sorry

Beverley,

There is no need to aplogize :D? and I am a picky person.? Those of us with sensitive smell must be heard 8)

Perhaps campgrounds could institute a smoke and fire free area for those of us who want to breathe clean outdoor air.

Campfire smoke is a by-product of a campfire that gets in your eyes, and attaches itself to your skin, your hair, and your clothes. It doesn?t matter whether you sit, stand, or keep circling the fire the smoke will find you. Whatever kind of wood, brush, or undergrowth is used to fuel the campfire the results are the same. The odor clings to everything. EVERYTHING! This is the reason why hours, days, weeks, months, perhaps even years later you can come across an item that has ?the odor?.

Ned said:
We could make a video of a fire and play it on a notebook computer and we could all gather 'round :)  Yuk, might as well stay home and be bored.

Or, we could sit around and visit without the fire.

Oh, I guess that's what we do at Happy Trails and Moab.  ;D

Phil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom