Campground near Ft. Myers, Fl.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn

We'll be leaving Key West on 2/22 and would like to head up the west coast of Florida.  We've never done this, so I would love suggestions of where to stop.  We'll have a couple of extra days before we head home. I would like to check out the Ft. Myers area but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for any help!

JoAnn

Hi JoAnn,

There's a great Corp of Engineers campground on the Caloosahatchee river. I don't know the availability of the sites but I think it would be worth the stay. We have stayed at the Tamiami RV park in North Ft. Myers but the rear section was full of sand fleas. Didn't see them but our ankles were always a mess from them. It is fairly convenient to Ft. Myers. There is a newer park not far from the Camping World in Ft. Myers but I don't remember the name. If you get a copy of Trailer Life Camping Guide there are quite a few campgrounds listed.

Thanks Dick,  I know that this time of the year is difficult to get reservations.  But I'll make a list of some and call......sand fleas UGH  that doesnt' sound like fun  :(

We haven't decided that we sould do that for sure, but figured it would be worth checking out the area.  Anyone else have suggestions even someplace else on the southern west coast of Fl.?

Thanks,
JoAnn

We stayed at a place called Kountry Kamping and it was pretty nice. There was a large construction project starting next door so I'm not sure how it is now. One of the best campgrounds I've stayed in was in the Everglades. It was on Chokoloskee island. It's just as you enter the island & called Outdoor Resorts I believe. They are right on the water, beautiful landscaping, pools, etc. It is extremly well kept up. It's sorta out of the way so get your groceries before you get there.

Kountry Kamping sounds great.  I will check out what info I can find on it.  We'll be in Key West for 9 days and are considering adding another day or 2 now, if possible (it may not be able to as the campground is always booked solid.  So we'll see.  I just can't wait to head south!!!  ;D 

Thanks for the suggestion.  If we don't use it now, I'll keep notes for another trip.

JoAnn

The very best place we have ever stayed in that Ft Myers/Estero area was a wonderful mom and pop campground called Woodsmoke. They have 77 foot long concrete pads. Wow!
What a luxury if you have a toad.

Hi,
Try Indian Creek RV Resort, near FM, sorry don't have address with me (if you can get in this time of year!)
If you are going down the Keys DON'T go to Geiger Key Marina it is very basic and expensive.
Big note Key West is not RV friendly, don't go anywhere near it with a rig.

Hi again, thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I will keep them for maybe next year.  We decided to head back up to Daytona to visit with friends, instead.

WOOOOoooooo you have that right!  We would never consider driving into Key West with the motorhome.  We camp at Boyds, on Stock Island just before you cross the bridge to KW. We've stayed there the last 3 years.  It's a nice place and we've met such great people there.  When I see Rv's driving around KW I shake my head and wonder about their sanity ???

JoAnn

Nope, we met some great people in some great bars. But an RV parking spot just outside of town would be a great idea, so you could park and ride.

We stayed at the Red Coconut right on the Beach in Ft. Myers (estero).  It was a nice campground, although the spots were a little close for my taste.....

Thanks everyone!

Yes, This campground is a great place to stay.  There are also buses that go into KW from the campground.  We haven't used them other years, but may give it a shot this time.  Parking is at a minimum and last year we paid $4 to $6 per hour to pack the car in a lot close by.  So the buses sound even better, depending on their schedule.

Leaving in 8 days!!!!!!!!!!

JoAnn

n880ep

My parent's began taking us to the Red Coconut in 1960 at Christmas. As kids we LOVED it! I drove through FT. Myers Beach 3 years ago in February and it was CROWDED! but the RC was still there as I remembered it. Great beach and now more restaurants and shops.... and people.... It had a swing bridge when we were there. Life was slower.

One of the best RV parks in the area is Cypress Woods Rv Resort. They have huge pads and a great club house. It is right off the interstate oppositie Camping World. Have a safe trip up from the keyes!  :)

Key West Buses

There is the Lower Keys Shuttle which goes from Marathon (MM50) down to the "Sears Town" shopping area at MM3.

The cost this year is $12.50 for 7 days (less for seniors) - A BARGAIN !!

There is ample parking at Sears, Publix etc also (a few RVs were parked there during the day but there are clear No Overnight signs).

Then there are several Downtown buses from in front of the Publix.

Cost for the Downtown buses is $6.25 for 7 days (again, less for seniors).

The website for details of the buses is www.keywestcity.com

Parking in the downtown area is $16 per day, so the buses are great value.

We stayed at the KOA at Sugarloaf, which was expensive but they do have a nice beach area and a large bar area with "varied" entertainment.

The KOA is at MM20 - you can get the last Lower Keys Shuttle at 9.25pm (actaully left at 9.45pm but we were late and got there at 9.30pm so we didn't mind !!). That bus arrives back at the KOA at around 10.15pm, which makes for a great day, allowing you to enjoy a few beers.

There is also a nice "key west style" restaurant (Mangrove Mamas) around 5mins walk from the KOA.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom