Campgrounds in northern Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottro

We’re planning a springtime camping trip in late March in northern Georgia. Does anyone have campground suggestions on locations that they have enjoyed or know in that area? Going to a wedding in the north western side of the state, so closer to that area.(within a couple hours would be preferable).
I realize that a lot of campgrounds will be full already, but would like to have them for reference as well. Just hoping we will be able to find something we like. Thanks!
Scott,Orlando

I recommend Cloudland Canyon SP. Second to that would be Fort Mountain SP. Depending on exactly where you will be, Desoto SP in Alabama would also be a great location.

Need a little more info on where you will be for the wedding.

Charles

The wedding is in Chickamauga,Ga. We are also visiting friends in Silver Creek,Ga.
So that’s the vicinity we’ll be in.
Scott,Orlando

Last edited by a moderator:
Cloudland Canyon is the closest at 18 miles (I assume you have a toad to drive). If you stay there, exit I-75 at Adairsville and take GA140 west to Armuchee where it connects to US27N and take that to Summerville where US27N makes a turn to the north. At LaFayette take GA136 west to the park. Do not follow Google and take 136 west from the interstate at Resaca. Its state highway from Resaca to LaFayette but of much less quality for a big rig.

Cloudland Canyon is well regarded as possibly the most beautiful park in the state.

Looking at the State Park reservations site, Cloudland Canyon is full the last two weeks of March. Fort Mountain has many available sites. Beware the drive from Chatsworth to Fort Mountain park is a long winding climb. I've been to Fort Mountain once. Pretty park but some of the sites would be a challenge for a big rig, choose carefully.

Just south of Summerville is James H. (Sloppy) Floyd State Park, and it has a number of available sites also, small park, I have never been in it, but the pics make it look nice. Easy ~35 mile drive up US27 to your wedding venue.

If you have time, Visit Chickamauga And Chattanooga National Military Park, just north of town. It is quite large and was the scene of the beginning of the fighting leading down to Atlanta.

Charles

Thanks Charles for the good info and recommended directions!
I’m going to look into Fort Mountain.
Have you camped there with your rig?
Is the road up there a lot of switchbacks or just a winding grade? Yes we have a toad.
Scott,Orlando

The grade begins at about 800 ft elevation, and the park entrance is at about 2500 ft elevation, Drive it on street view in Google Maps.

View looking south, Chatsworth is on the right. Park entrance is on the left of the frame.

Charles

Attachments

• Road to Fort Mountain.jpg
    Road to Fort Mountain.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 4
We’re planning a springtime camping trip in late March in northern Georgia. Does anyone have campground suggestions on locations that they have enjoyed or know in that area? Going to a wedding in the north western side of the state, so closer to that area.(within a couple hours would be preferable).
I realize that a lot of campgrounds will be full already, but would like to have them for reference as well. Just hoping we will be able to find something we like. Thanks!
Scott,Orlando
This always elicits the question "what kind of campground is acceptable to you?". Full hook-ups only? Public vs Private? Big rig sites? Rustic vs proximity to town & shopping? etc etc etc

Here's a map of campgrounds in the area: RV Parks in Chickamauga, Georgia - Top 20 Campgrounds near Chickamauga, GA - Updated March 2024

You probably wouldn't like the campgrounds I stay in. I have a couple of favs in N GA (like Rabun Beach or Sandy Bottom because we would base there and day trip into Helen and Hiawassee). I suggest that you check out rvparky com and campendium com and read the reviews.

Another good possibility is RACCOON MOUNTAIN CAVERNS & CAMPGROUND Which is off of I-24 just west of Chattanooga. Decent campground suitable for big rigs, and with a toad its an easy return back into Chattanooga to US27 south to Fort Oglethorpe and then Chickamauga (there are other routes also) Its 18 to 20 miles to Chickamauga depending on the route. Take a tour of the caverns, if you have the time. In Chattanooga be very careful getting off the interstate, there are a number of low bridges on the side roads, watch the signs carefully.

Charles

I used to live in Raccoon Mtn full time years ago. NOW, you need to check to make sure your RV is new enough. They have implemented RV age rules that even apply to nightly stays. I checked when we were going to be passing thru a few years back. I actually thought Harrison Bay SP was a better choice for nightly stays (we would stay there for 14 days before moving back to Chester Frost Co Park) but I'm a former tent camper. I still judge campground/rv parks and sites the same way. Still remember that night with the tornado....

This always elicits the question "what kind of campground is acceptable to you?". Full hook-ups only? Public vs Private? Big rig sites? Rustic vs proximity to town & shopping? etc etc etc

Here's a map of campgrounds in the area: RV Parks in Chickamauga, Georgia - Top 20 Campgrounds near Chickamauga, GA - Updated March 2024
We’re not too picky. Full hook-ups is nice with kids,but we enjoy boondocking when we can. I like a little more rustic camping myself,but having activities nearby for the kids is always a good thing. So,bottom line…I guess we are fairly versatile. Being away from the beaten track is nice for me.
Scott,Orlando

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom