Campgrounds in the area of Grand Teton National Park?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy.

We are seeking recommendations of campgrounds in the area of Grand Teton NP.

Regards,
Liz

I know there is a campground on the north side of Jackson Hole WY.  I never stayed there but I wanted to.  Unfortunately it is seasonal and was closed when I was ready to make my snowbird trip to Arizona.  So I cannot vouch for it.

Jackliz said:
We are seeking recommendations of campgrounds in the area of Grand Teton NP.

Colter Bay on Jackson Lake has both a full hookup RV park and a regular park service dry campgound with a dump station.

Flagg Ranch is ok and just outside the Yellowstone south entrance.

Virginian Motel in Jackson has a full hookup RV park adjacent to the motel.

I have stayed in all of them.

Phil

Some friends of ours (we met them workamping two years ago) are managing the Gros Ventre Campground in Grand Teton N.P. this year, but I know little about the campground itself. It's big - 360 sites - and along the Gros Ventre River, but I don't even know if the sites have W&E.  The other NPS parks in the area fill up quickly and are often full by 10 A.M. (!), but Gros Ventre is big enough that sites are usually available, at least until  early evening.

Gros Ventre has a dump station but, like most NPS campgrounds, has no hookups.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I recommend avoiding  the campgrounds in Jackson Hole, Expensive and not what I would consider all that great.  Haven't been there for years but the last time we were there was very disappointing to us the way they have ruined what use to be a very desirable place to visit.  Now Teton National Park great take your camera.  We stayed in a park near Star Valley and drove North to Teton.  There are other parks that are not located in Jackson Hole that I understand are quite good.

We stayed at Coulter Bay RV Park and we loved it.  It had full hookups but was not like a parking lot..it was like a regular campground with lots of trees and space between sites.  It has a store, tours etc.  Hope that helps.

Smoky said:
We will be staying at the Virginian next week.? Will file a report on it.

So how was it?  We stayed there once, because we didn't know better.  I guess if you're the "got to have full hook-ups" kind of camper then it's ok.  Otherwise it epitomizes why we stay away from RV parks in general.  Better than a wally world parking lot but not by much.  Great location for sight seeing in town - if a world class tourist trap is your idea of fun.  If you've got a toad stay at Gros Ventre or the Pinnacles.

Sorry, kind of grumpy this morning, must have been something I ate.  I keep telling the SO that I like kids but she insists on overcooking them.

Hayduke

We enjoyed The Virginian very much.  Right near the center of town, good Internet Sat access, friendly owners.

We did check out the Gros Ventre "primitive" campground.  Might try it the next time if we can figure out a spot where we could get Internet and Direct TV access.  Those trees are pretty thick there.  The price is right though.  ;D

Smoky said:
We enjoyed The Virginian very much.

Thanks for the report on the Virginian, Smoky.  I'm headed there next week.  :)

Phil

Phil:

One suggestion...  the motel is easy to see, so turn on to the side street beside it.  The RV park is behind the motel, look carefully for the proper left hand turn into the park.  After you make the left into the park, bear to the right even though the office is on the left.  The sign there tells you to do that but we did not see the sign.  If you turn left, the office will tell you to keep going to the end of that road and then out onto the side street and re-enter the park.  All of their routing to get to your spot depends upon you making that right hand turn after you enter the park.  You can unhook the toad on the road where you make the right hand turn opposite the office.

I highly recommend the western barbecue cookout and show near Jackson.  There are several so check at the office for the one they recommend.  The food is fine and reminiscent of a cowboy cookout on the range.  You even get a tin coffee cup and collect your own silverware.  <g>

But the real treat is the show.  Trust me, these musicians are BETTER than the famous "Sons of the Pioneers" and sing many of their songs.  The guy that sings bass is about the best bass country singer I have ever heard anywhere.  One of the lead singers is the best yodeler I have ever heard.  And the show is almost like attending Vaudeville.  Some of the funniest one liners I have ever heard.  All kinds of humorous skits.  Lots of audience participation.

For $18 a person, it is an incredible value.  You have to call ahead for reservations.  Be sure to get there one hour before the gate opens if you want a front seating.  The lines waiting to get in get really long.  Many people come back over and over again, as we will do in the future.  We also bought a CD and a DVD after the show.  Every member of the band hangs around to autograph the CDS and DVDs.  These guys are consummate music professionals and entertainers and I am very surprised I never heard of them before.  They work all summer at this place 7 days a week.

Smoky said:
One suggestion...  the motel is easy to see, so turn on to the side street beside it.  The RV park is behind the motel, look carefully for the proper left hand turn into the park.  After you make the left into the park, bear to the right even though the office is on the left. 

Thanks for the tip, Smoky. 

Phil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom