Campgrounds near Lake Havasu City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

We hope to visit the Lake Havasu City area this winter. Suggestions on where to stay welcome.
We are a bit budget conscious so expensive resorts are not likely our cup of whiskey.

My old home in Lake Havasu City has a 50 X 20 foot parking pad with full hookups.

I have had a few visitors from the Forum stay for free.

Unfortunately the new house does not even have a level driveway.

There are several RV parks here and there is free boondocking at both end of town.

Attachments

• IMG_2390-2.JPG
    IMG_2390-2.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180917_143021_001.jpg
    20180917_143021_001.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180905_091737.jpg
    20180905_091737.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 5
We are a bit budget conscious so expensive resorts are not likely our cup of whiskey.
Based on my experience there at Lake Havasu City a few years ago, it's all expensive there for full hookups anywhere. Just some are more expensive than others. I stayed at a cheap place that cost me more than $500.00 for a week. And that was several years ago, in November. I assume it will cost more these days.

But there is a nice boondock place well south. I think by a good 25 miles, nice place by the lake, no hookups and wasn't expensive and was a good place to let doggies run around. Perhaps ten years ago or more when we stayed there, but the place was still there when I dove by it a few years ago.

-Don- Reno, NV

Beautiful area. If it was all free, everyone would flock there. Economics 101. Good luck finding a place that meets your needs.

Our favorite boondock site in the area is north of town at Craggy Wash. Just turn at the far edge of the airport and drive down the road a ways. it was really busy in 2021though, so not sure how it will be in 2022. We have also stayed at Crazy Horse. I don’t recommend it. The seasonal sites all had this really disgusting collection of moldy indoor carpet runners to most of the sites (why? Just why?). And the short term site they put us in was cramped with broken concrete. We have no intention of going back.

The big question is how long do you want to stay??? Some people are giving you advice based on a month or longer stay, which is basically a commercial campground. We also need more information on what kind of campground you prefer, other than not too expensive. Do you want a pool? Clubhouse? Do you need full hookups??? A view?? Or do you prefer to boondock?

If you are staying only a few days, my choice would be Lake Havasu State Park. It is right on the lake and most sites have electric & water hookups and paved spots.

We boondock on the BML land just south of Lake Havasu's Sara park, east of highway 95.

Thanks. We are still new but are not really resort types (pools, shuffle board, golf, bingo). We read, (hope to) hang out, cook and or eat out. A state park sounds good. By the time we get out to Lake Havasu we will have done some boondocking. Starting tomorrow, have 6 nights with water & electric (30a) so next week we will know more. We have not had a real vacation in years but we hope our grand adventure this winter will feel like one.

The boondocking sites at each end of town are right at the city limit in a wide open area with easy access.
Did they exist more than ten years ago? I am trying to figure out where Tom & I and the doggies stayed more than ten years ago. I only remember it was a nice boondocking place right on the lake.

I recalling seeing the place we stayed during the same trip you and I met, but it was farther south than I expected. Now I am wondering if that was even the same place.

Are the boondocking places you're referring to a very short walk to the lake?

-Don- Reno, NV

The boondocking places I was referring to are on the east side of Hwy 95.

On the north side of Lake Havasu city there are a couple. One is off a dirt road just north of the airport. The other main one is close to the top of the hills about halfway between Lake Havasu City and Interstate 40. It usually has a host near the road, (hwy 95).

On the south end of town there is a huge area just about a mile south of the city on the east side of Hwy 95.

Both of these areas are easily seen from the highway and have several RVs during the cooler months.

They are easy to pull into and have plenty of room.

I think that they both have 2 week stay limits like much of the BLM lands, but I do not think that it is enforced much as I have seen the same RVs staying for longer periods..

Last edited:
On the south end of town there is a huge area just about a mile south of the city on the east side of Hwy 95.
The place I am thinking off is south of LHC, west side of 95 and right on the lake.

I am now looking at a map. I am wondering if it was one of the state parks, but I thought it was farther south.

-Don- Reno, NV

There is a state park about 5 miles north of Parker called River Island State Park. We stayed there for a few days just after buying this last RV this spring. 25 miles south of Lake Havasu City.

Right on the Colorado River, nice park.

Attachments

• 20210407_171739_Moment.jpg
    20210407_171739_Moment.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
There is a state park about 5 miles north of Parker called River Island State Park. We stayed there for a few days just after buying this last RV this spring. 25 miles south of Lake Havasu City.

Right on the Colorado River, nice park.
Yep, that is it! Tom, myself and the two doggies we had then really enjoyed staying there.

And the price was reasonable, unlike anything close to LHC.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom