Campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatObsession

I finally decided on a coach.  I am sure some of you remember me from the Fifth Wheel message board when I said I knew which fifth wheel I was getting.  Ok so I learned much in my weeks here.  I am looking to be a fulltimer and a fifth wheel was not going to work for me.  Motorhomes with toad....much more suited for what I want.  Park it for a month.  Check out the area.  Still work during the day since I am a work at home employee - just need internet and phone.  And then move on. 
I am now looking at the upper Monaco line.  Size is the issue now.  I am considering a used (2004-2005) 40 Platinum IV floorplan, not sure of which model.  From what I read I will not be permitted on national or state parks since most have limits around 35 feet.  I found lots of campgrounds allowing 40 feet.  The Monaco brochures say the coach actually measures 41.7 feet.
How picky are most campgrounds when they say 40 feet?  Has this been an issue for anyone?  Where do the big rigs camp often?

Thanks

Why not go for a 35-foot coach? It's amazing how much extra space you get with slideouts and maybe you'd find something in the 35-foot range so you didn't have to worry as much about fitting?

Picky? No, most of them aren't too picky. I have only heard of a few places where they actually measure the length and those were in in National Parks with roads and sites that really could not accomoodate a big rig.  Whether you will be picky about squeezing into a space that's a tad too short may be another question.

There are lots of places that can accomodate rigs to 45 feet. They will tend to be in the upper end of the price scale, though. I assume that's not an issue given the RV price class you are shopping in.  But Corp of Engineer public parks often have sites for 40 footers and I've seen a number of state and county parks that cn handle a few of them too.  You just have to look around a bit - and be careful on the interior roads, whih may be a bit more twisty than you would prefer for a long rig.

If you want to have a wider selection of sites, why not curb your enthusiasm a bit and get a 37-38 foot rig? here will still be lots of room with a triple or quad slide uit.

I found a Monaco Camelot/Windsor 38' floorplan I like but won't I still face the same issues?  I did not care for any of the 35' floorplans.  Of course the smaller ones tend to have better fuel economy.

An old time RVer once told me, "if you have to worry about fuel mileage, you don't deserve and can't afford an RV."  In my years of traveling, I've pretty much found this to be true.  I travel on what I can afford to do and enjoy each and every moment of it.  I heard guys say they get 14 to 15 miles per gals.Won't call them a liar but I don't believe them.  It depends on the unit, the driver and the terrain.  From Phoenix to St Louis Area , with my unit of 37' and hauling an empty 24' enclosed trailer, and at 70mph about 6 to 6.5mpg  Return trip with loaded trailer. 5.5 to 6mpg at 60 to 65 mph. If I drive at 55 I might, notice might, get 7 to 7.5mpg. but then who knows, I've never driven it that way. 8 to 9 is about the best you are going to get unless you have a small unit and hauling no weight with 55 mph on level ground. Diesel just might get a bit better mileage.  these guys that get the high mileage per gal, will never tell a dealer that.  They tell them they are getting about 5.5  and can you help me out a bit.  I've heard it time and time again. You get what you get.  Good luck and don't worry about the mileage cause if you do you can't enjoy the venture.

We have a 38' Monaco Camelot and have yet to find a campground that wouldn't take use because of size. We don't attempt to go into National Forest Service campgrounds, many of which have tight turns and lots of tree limbs waiting to whack the coach.

I found a Monaco Camelot/Windsor 38' floorplan I like but won't I still face the same issues?

I'm no quite sure what answer you are looking for here.  Yes, there are fewer sites for a 38 footer than for a 35 footer. And fewer sites for 35's than for 30's, and so on down the line.  Same thing applies to width - there are fewer sites that can accomodate a quad slide than a triple slide, ditto for triple vs double slides, and so on.  You make some trade-offs a every step of the way.

You need not be concerned that you will have to hunt all over creation to find a site big enough for a 40 footer. However, it will be somewhat  easier to find a site for a 38 than for a 40 or 41. What this really means is you will have a broader selection to choose from.  But the park I'm sitting in right now, for example, has 14 sites (out of 80) that can handle rigs up to 45 feet in length without even unhitching a towed car.

Older Rv parks, particularly in the more congested northeast US, typically have smaller sites because they were designed back when Rvs were smaller.

Excellent points everyone.  Thank you.
I have found a 34' floorplan I like.  So I guess I need to do more soul searching and figure out what it will take to make me happy.
At least I narrowed it down to 34'-40'.  Well at least for today  ;D

Why do many RVers trade in their rig frequently?  I have found many used 2004 - present ones with less then 20k miles.  I hardly consider that "broken in".  How is the resale of the large rigs vs smaller rigs?  I know slides are the hottest rage these days.  Do those help the resale value?

Needs vs. Wants... this could take a long time to figure out

RVers trade for a variety of reasons and it's hard to say what is the most prevalent one. I think the big ones are:

(1) Dissatisfaction with their floor plan.  Newbies especially tend to make the wrong trade-offs, but even the experienced among us have made some poor choices.  A floor plan that looks great on the dealer lot often becomes irritating when put to the test of every day use. So when you see another Rv that overcomes the faults of your present floor plan, there is a tendency to construct reasons why it is reasonable to trade, e.g. "we need new tires soon and that's $2000 right there!".

(2) More room, usually meaning both longer and more slides

(3) New features or amenities

You would be well advised to buy a used motorhome and use it a year and then decide on your "dream rig".  Almost nobody takes that advice but that doesn't mean it isn't good advice. Newbies in general don't know what they don't know and can't really comprehend the trade-offs even when they are explained. You have to live in an Rv for at least a few months to even begin to understand your own priorities on all sorts of things. Few of us have any experience in living in 300 sq. ft and believe me, it's a whole 'nother world!

RV Roamer said:
You would be well advised to buy a used motorhome and use it a year and then decide on your "dream rig".? Almost nobody takes that advice but that doesn't mean it isn't good advice. Newbies in general don't know what they don't know and can't really comprehend the trade-offs even when they are explained. You have to live in an Rv for at least a few months to even begin to understand your own priorities on all sorts of things.

I plan to buy used.? My current love is the Monaco Cayman 36SBT 2006.? I do not plan to buy for another year or two.? Now I came up with another question.? In the earlier replies it was mentioned that there are more campsites for 35' then 40', more 30' then 35', etc.? The one I am considering is a 36'.? Since I am out of the 35' class am I better off getting a 38-40'?? I know I am thinking with a stick house mentality and this might not apply to RVs.

RV Roamer said:
Few of us have any experience in living in 300 sq. ft and believe me, it's a whole 'nother world!

What was your greatest misconception?? What surprised you the most?? What do you miss?? What do you like most?

Catobsession

My 1st RV was a huge 67 19' Winnie, then a 20.  then went up to a 22 and a monsterous 24'.  finally a 28'  then a 34' and now a 37'  See the progression.  Next one nothing less than 40 to 42.  I've seen a couple of places that  we couldn't get a 40' into due to branches and tight corners but not many.  Buy what you want and it will never be large enough.  If a park is too small that's why they call it a Motorhome, just motor down the road till you find one large enough.  Good Luck

Yup, RV's and Hard Drives... Never big enough :)  (Remember when you thought "Oh, I'll never fill up this 20 meg drive")

I'll tell you something about houses too (not just the kind with wheels) They too are too small.

one of the rules is that the amount of accumulated junquie (That is Junk with class) will expand to overflow the avaibial space by at least 10% (if not more)

John In Detroit said:
Yup, RV's and Hard Drives... Never big enough :)? (Remember when you thought "Oh, I'll never fill up this 20 meg drive")

I'll tell you something about houses too (not just the kind with wheels) They too are too small.

one of the rules is that the amount of accumulated junquie (That is Junk with class) will expand to overflow the avaibial space by at least 10% (if not more)

Not likely with me.  I am a minimalist.  Even though I am still 2 years away from my plan I have already started getting rid of what little excess I have.  I am single so this is much easier for me then if I was married.  Of course I might not be single forever and my first motorhome most likely will not be my last.

We've always expanded to fill whatever space we lived in. We're now working on getting rid of all our 'stuff' so we can go fulltiming. If we ever decide to quit fulltiming, I'm sure we'll expand again, to fill up whatever space we move into.

My feeling is get as big as and nice as you can afford.? That being said, its really not about how big your RV is as even a 45 foot 4 slide coach is tiny in relation to an average house.? If you plan on sitting in the thing all day everywhere you go then you might as well stay in an appartment.? The RV experience is all about where you are at.? Its the experience of where you are and where your next adventure is that makes the RV great.? Where can it take you.? What doors will it open.

There will be days that you will be stuck inside the beast so a good floor plan is key.?

I only use mine part time for fun with the kids and or tailgaiting but I still bought a 39 foot coach and I love it.? I would not want any smaller.? I also find it easy to drive, park and get into camp grounds.?

Go for it.? You will love it.? Driving mine is my favorite part.?

It's not just as big and nice as you can get. There's also what you want to do and where you want to go. Are you fulltiming? Are you going for weekends? We like staying in national parks and boondocking in a variety of places so we prefer staying below 32-feet. We can't carry as much 'stuff' in our 27-foot Winnebago as others can in their 45-foot coaches, but we can stay in a lot of places they can't. It's a trade-off and it's a personal preference. Viva le differance.

Back
Top Bottom