Camping in an orange grove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
What a neat RV park. The Orange Grove RV Park in Bakersfield, CA. Your RV sits between rows of orange trees and you're allowed to pick the oranges for your personal consumption. As you see from the photo, we could virtually pick them from the windows of the coach, or we could if the driver had positioned the coach a little differently. Our pulltrhough site is one of a number that are 90' long. Full hookups, inc 50A.

Good Sam or AAA discount and you get an additional $4 discount next time you stay here.

Thanks to Chris Pennings for the recomendation.

Attachments

• Orange_grove.jpg
    Orange_grove.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 124
Does that mean around $36 a night after discount?

Smoky, we paid $33 with AAA discount and were told it would be $4 off that discount rate (i.e. $29) next time. I'm not sure if this varies with season and didn't ask if their prices varied for different sites in the park. FWIW when I looked at their reservations board it looked like a large group had reserved one section of the park (maybe a club rally).

BTW the oranges are very nice  :)

JohnSandyWhite said:
??? It's almost cheaper to book a Hotel/Motel room IMHO.  8)

We are in a motel room in West Palm Beach right now and would much prefer to be in our coach, even if the room rate was the same or less than a campground fee.

It's almost cheaper to book a Hotel/Motel room IMHO

John, I'm not sure what hotel room one would get for $33, but it would be quite spartan. Even the el cheapo motels are no longer cheap.  I lived out of a suitcase for too many years. Today I try hard to avoid hotels and airplanes and prefer to stay overnight in our coach with our creature comforts around us.

:) I agree with staying in your RV with all the creature comforts Tom. But for $40 plus per night? No way Jose. I prefer Flying 'J's, Walmart's or other such. Having said that. I do realise that other's like to have A/C or the Furnace running all night and so have to have 30 or 50 amp Hook-ups.? ;D

Tom said:
What a neat RV park. The Orange Grove RV Park in Bakersfield, CA. Your RV sits between rows of orange trees and you're allowed to pick the oranges for your personal consumption.

If you prefer almonds to oranges, just go up 1-5 a bit further to Sommerville's Almond Tree RV Park and you will have an almond tree at each site.

Its 8 miles south of Harris Ranch exit at Jayne Ave. and is on the west side of I-5. Its off I-5 far enough to avoid noise. Some don't like it because of crazy entrance barriers to keep 18 wheelers from turning into the park, but has never been a problem for me with motorhome and tow car.

But you can't beat the large free parking lot at Harris Ranch for an overnight stop especially with their  market and restaurants.

I have stayed at Orange Grove RV Park and its also a treat.

Bob

Tom said:
What a neat RV park. The Orange Grove RV Park in Bakersfield, CA. Your RV sits between rows of orange trees and you're allowed to pick the oranges for your personal consumption.

Tom,
This is the same RV park , my cousin Jim used on his way down from San Jose.  He picked oranges and shared them with us at Quartzsite.  Yum.

Betty

Betty,

Yes, those oranges are really yummy. I ate a couple shortly after Chris picked them. You know we have some to take home  ;D

Bob,

I'll check out Summerville's on our way past.

But you can't beat the large free parking lot at Harris Ranch for an overnight stop

We've never visited Harris Ranch, but keep promising ourselves every time we pass by on the freeway. We've sent several friends there and they've always reported it to be a great place for a lunch or dinner stop. Didn't realize you could overnight in their parking lot. But two such stops in one week would get me a new label here  ;D

Tom said:
Bob,

I'll check out Summerville's on our way past.

We've never visited Harris Ranch, but keep promising ourselves every time we pass by on the freeway. We've sent several friends there and they've always reported it to be a great place for a lunch or dinner stop. Didn't realize you could overnight in their parking lot.

They have a huge parking lot between the hotel complex and I-5. If you get in early, you will be one of the only ones there but late at night it fills with 18 wheelers. In fact if you wake up early, you will wonder, how will I ever get out of there. Don't worry, because at daybreak they hit the road again. Some RVers do go over around the Motel side and park but I never have.

If you are a farm boy like me, and the wind is from the north, you will have some aroma memories from the cows.

The RV Park at Jayne exit is very low key. Just one sign, in black and white, that says in block letters 'RV PARK'.

Bob

John, it's just different strokes for different folks, although I'd raise an eyebrow paying over $40/night.

My reference to creature comforts in the coach was in comparison to living out of a suitcase when travelling around the world. I rarely checked luggage, so whatever I took had to be carried. A computer was top of the list (my first laptop weighed something like 16 lbs or 8 Kg/kilos) and, in the good old days it meant carrying a kit of tools and cables. I usually had business stuff to take along, which left relatively little room or strength in my arm for much else. Chris used to laugh about the fact that I took the same amount of clothes for 2-3 weeks as I did for 2-3 days. That meant using hotel laundry services which, on a tight schedule, might mean I didn't see the clothes again  :(

BTW despite all the ribbing I get on this and related subjects, we dry camped in our old coach for many years. Staying in one location for several days or more, I'd prefer to dry camp alongside a stream or lake any time. It sure beats any WalMart parking lot which, by the time I'd buy stuff I didn't need, would cost about the same as a paid campground.

Bob, does that mean you don't need to ask if you stay in the lot at Harris Ranch?

Wow Tom camping on the blacktop, then in an orange grove, next thing we'll be reading about is the Wal-mart Parking lot or some other parking lot.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Tom said:
Bob, does that mean you don't need to ask if you stay in the lot at Harris Ranch?

Not sure who you would ask. There is a card only refueling station and a regular gas station on one side. There is a small airport operations on the south end of the lot.  Over at the restaurants there is a hostess managing the long lines of waiting people for seats!

I never have asked anyone as this is a huge open lot with RVs and trucks coming and going. If I stayed over in the motel parking lot area I would.

The few times I have stayed at a Walmart Super Center I have made small talk with the greeter and mentioned I will probably stay overnight and they have nodded or said fine.  At the one in Springfield MO, when I walked in the lady greeter said, 'Sir, let me get you an electric cart to do your shopping in'. I said 'Oh, I just drove up all day from Oklahoma City in my RV and I am a bit tired but thanks anyway!' This got a real laugh out of Joyce and my kids when I told them that story. Maybe its getting later than I think or want to admit!

All Walmarts I have stayed at have had roving security and I wave at them and they wave back as they make their frequent rounds so they know I am there.

At a Flying Js  I have stayed usually stayed in the front lot and they have signs saying certain slots are for RVs so I just pull in. Some people say they make a purchase before staying overnight. I don't feel this is necessary as I have 15 years of receipts at Flying Js.

All said, I am not really a frequent overnighter at these places but I do when its just for a quick one night stop and there is not a good RV park option close by.

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob. If the driver slows down enough, we might pull in there for lunch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom